“Excellent food, so-so service”

Laem Charoen Seafood - Siam Paragon
Ranked #499 of 11,633 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Siam
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I’ve been in Thailand for a week and a half now, and the food was among the best I’ve had so far during this trip.

We came here on Wednesday, January 1st, at about 1:45 PM and had:
Savory, curry-flavored egg custards with little chunks of fish (I think it's called "fish cake" on the menu), steamed in banana leaf wrappers. Very interesting flavors and textures.

Black pepper shrimp. If you have long fingernails, I strongly recommend that you clip them before you decide to order this. Maybe even go to the bathroom to do it, if necessary, because the flavor was great and the shrimp still surprisingly juicy (how is that possible??), but all the ground black peppercorns--and there’s a LOT--got all over the underside of my nails. I had a hell of a time cleaning them so that it didn’t look like I’d been playing in the mud.

Shrimp salad--very spicy, at least it was for me. My boyfriend, who can handle more spicy foods, thought it wasn't very spicy.

Butterfly pea drink – a sweet, clear, dark purple drink. Very refreshing.

Thai iced tea - great taste, but very sweet. I hadn't had Thai iced tea in a long time, but this version was much sweeter than I remembered it to be.

Mangosteen juice and lime juice were also very good.

Their sala is made with the deseeded fruit, stuffed with and surrounded with flavored sorbet-like ice. The flavor is similar to a lychee, kind of floral and sour-sweet, similar to a lychee, but much less meaty. We got a total of 4 drinks, three small dishes, and dessert and our total was about 300-400 THB.

We got most of our drinks and dishes fairly quickly, but the dessert took forever to come out. The staff were really busy, even though not all tables were full and there were several staff just standing around at times.

Not all of the wait staff, hostesses, and bus boys can speak English, and not all were friendly. I can understand if there’s a language barrier, but a smile and a nod wouldn’t have hurt. At one point, when I waved one hostesses down, she clearly looked reluctant to come to our table as she was on her way to do something else. That was a little disappointing. I had trouble explaining that we were still waiting for our food. Finally, a guy with an authoritative air (the owner or manager?) who spoke English came over and resolved the issue.

Even though you'll be paying more here than you would at a local mom and pop and even though it's located in a luxury mall (where you'd expect good if not excellent service), if you put that expectation out of your head and come just for the food, you'll have a great meal. The menu was pretty extensive, with entire pages devoted to shrimp, fish, crab, etc. I'd come back again, and wish they had a branch where I live.

1  Thank kokoskote

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

I visited Laem Cha-Reon (Central World), to find myself waiting several minutes to be served. After politely requesting assistance, my request was met with a loud and vulgar "Arai" (Thai for "what do you want"), where no one bothered speaking further English. I switched to Thai (which I master) to let them know this behavior was unacceptable. They profusely apologized... Too late..

Verdict: been there and is a great place to eat, but not always tourist friendly... Better places around

3  Thank Mathieu S
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The snapper with coconut shoots is outstanding as is the fish soup with Thai eggplants. The fish cake are a perfect rendition of that Thai staple. Curry crab while very expensive is different than others in town and quite good. I always make a point of coming here when I visit. (Last time, due to street violence, Siam Paragon branch was closed, but the Silom branch was equally good, a bit more casual, and much less crowded.)

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Great ambience and service. Food is simply delicious for the price. Would highly recommend the tomyam soup with shrimps - plenty of huge juicy shrimps in there. The fish cakes are good too, they make a good snack. I'll be in Bangkok again in January and I'll definitely make it a point to come here again :)

Reviewed 9 November 2013

For those sick and tired of ersatz Thai food and tourist eateries this is the place to indulge your taste buds. Try the deep fried red snapper, morning glory vegetables and the crab. Great taste and decent value for authentic Thai seafood. Dig in!

Only downside is the waiters don't know much English so it is a bit hard to explain what you want. In the end, stick to the basics and cannot go wrong.

1  Thank FarooqPAK