“clean, quiet, friendly, unique”

Suneta Hostel Khaosan
Ranked #26 of 1,210 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Dublin, Ireland
“clean, quiet, friendly, unique”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed for one night in early May 2014, in one of the solo beds in the dorm. If you're travelling alone, definitely opt for this bed (even if you're with friends, indeed, but this is a great solo bed). The setup is essentially bunk style, but each bed is built into the wall in a huge wooden "cupboard," with sliding wooden doors that shut you in for privacy. Don't worry, there's a fan inside to keep the air circulating, and the room itself is nicely chilled by A/C. Inside the bedspace, there's an outlet to charge your electronics, a light, a flatscreen T.V. (staff offer current films on USB sticks at your request, otherwise there are a few T.V. channels; I plugged in the HDMI from my laptop and watched Inception in style), as well as a wall jack near the head of the bed where you can plug in your headphones, so you don't disturb the others in the room with the sound.

That's the bed. As for the rest of the place: so warmly welcoming, charming, and clean! The place throughout is sort of a 'modern rustic' style, with chunky unstained wood meeting smoothed concrete and glass, with bathroom fixtures and kitchenette organisation from IKEA (or the like), and decorations from Thailand 30s and 40s collected by one of the staff (I fell in love with the old fashioned radio that sits in perfect working condition! in the common room). The showers are spacious and very clean, with great water pressure and heat if you want it. Toilets are equally comfortable and clean. All the shower stalls have shampoo and body wash pumps, labelled, and the expansive sinks area (just wow) as well as kitchenette have soap dispensers as well. Lighting is all low-energy, and indicative signs around the whole place encourage patrons to turn off lights when not in use.
Internet was as good as I would expect in Bangkok (I've stayed a total of 14 days in the city and reliable WiFi/internet is definitely not one of its selling points). But I was able to get plenty of work done, both the boring kind and making plans for further travels, without a problem. There is a laptop in the common room for public use as well.
The staff were all top notch. When I checked in there was a very friendly, fun, and funny woman looking after everyone. Naturally friendly, and helpful with everyone's queries. When I checked out the next day and spent a good long while working on my computer, I found the gent who was working the desk equally warm and friendly and helpful. When he saw me ogling his beautiful old radio he took me on a quick little tour of the trinkets and pictures he'd collected and used to decorate the place.
This staff really wants people to have a pleasant stay and be as comfortable checking in as checking out. I think I read a quote on their site or Facebook that says something to the effect of "here we don't have customers, only friends and family." You can take my word for it: in the most down-to-earth way they truly aim to please.

Room Tip: Solo bed dorm room, with individual wooden "pods," is the way to go. Good A/C, own T.V...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank dreamknotter
Naree S, General Manager at Suneta Hostel Khaosan, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hostel which is very touching.

We are glad that what we intend to do it means something for guest. What you write is showing our hostel's details and in positive way :)

Thank you for your support and stay with our hostel, in return next time if you come back to Bangkok please inform us by email (naree@suneta.net) with your full name/ this username and you will get 10% discount.

Thanks again.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Suneta Hostel is a very cosy place. the Interior is made of a lot of wood, which is exactly to my taste. i've stayed on the ladies dorm, which is pretty small, but the way it's built you still have a lot of privacy. It was clean, the beds are comfortable, the staff friendly and helpfull. Even though it's three streets from Khaosan, it's really quiet.

Naree S, General Manager at Suneta Hostel Khaosan, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your complimentary which means a lot to us , we are glad to know you love our place.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

So as everybody else seemed to love this place, maybe you think I'm fussy or expect a lot but I really don't. I had a really friendly welcome and the lobby looked quite nice. The location was perfect but then I got to my dorm room and it was really dingy and not particularly clean. The bed was crap and I woke up after the first night and something which wasn't a mosquito had chowed down on my leg. I decided to stay a couple more nights because as I say I'm not that fussed about accommodation being perfect but the next day I got turfed out because they were full without anybody thinking to ask if I wanted to stay. That ruined my day because I then I had to use their pretty poor wifi to try and find another hostel (CHERN stay there it was fantastic) and work out how to get there. The lady that was friendly my first day was anything but that morning when I asked how to get to my hostel she shrugged and helpfully told me there was no chance of catching a taxi during Songkran. Oh yeh and the place was a huge rip off, 550B for a poor quaility 10 bed dorm. Bad experience aside, I'd still have only given it an average rating, stayed in way better places for this for a lot less.

Room Tip: I think most of the good reviews are for the dorm rooms below, so if you do decide to stay here try...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear guest,

We highly apology that you have not received a pleasant service from us, As the Songran festival is a super peak season so a limited staffs may cause lack of service so we take this serious feedback and will absolutely improve our best. To be apologized we are pleased to offer you a free night in our Superior mixed dorm bed (Cabin), easily email us at naree@suneta.net with your full name and the date check in last time, please also inform us the date you would like to stay so we can book right away.

Thank you very much for your feedback and also highly apology for what happened, we would like you to know that your voice is always important for us.

Guapimirim, RJ
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We arrived very early and tired at the hostel, but the staff welcomed us very well and we were able to take a shower before our check in. Suneta hostel has a good vibe, beautiful designer, very clean, cozy and confortable. Here you can have a good night's sleep, because it is very quiet, but it is also near the principal street: Khao San. The hostel offers free breakfast and delicious. We enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Naree S, General Manager at Suneta Hostel Khaosan, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Amanda,

Thank you for your feedback we appreciated it, we always improve or correct ourselves best from guests with direct experiences here.

Hope to service you again at Suneta Hostel Khaosan!

South east asia
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I had a really good stay here. The downstairs common area is good to meet people and the rooms are a decent size. Great location, not far from khao San road but far enough not to hear it.
Taxi drivers aren't too sure how to get it to so I just walked from khao San road.
Will definitely go back next time I'm in Bangkok

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Naree S, General Manager at Suneta Hostel Khaosan, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Ellie,

Thank you for choosing Suneta Hostel Khaosan for your recent stay in Bangkok.

We improve or correct ourselves best with feedback from guests with direct experiences here.

Hope to see you back at Suneta Hostel Khaosan!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We had a pleasant stay here. Location was good about 5 minute walk from Khao San Road so the noise doesn't disturb you, our cubical private beds were good as well, bathrooms and toilet were clean, friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Rondo,

Thank you for choosing Suneta Hostel Khaosan for your recent stay in Bangkok.

Hope to see you back at Suneta Hostel Khaosan!

Jakarta
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I read about this hostel through hostelworld. The hostel offered private bunk bed box with the tv in it.

But, when i came.. The staff did not provide the remote of the tv. Worse, the staff asked me to take the remote tv from other box that hasn't got the guest yet, by my self! Am i the staff?, or the guest?

But what shocked me is, the movie that played from the tv only The Class of the titans from USB drive. And they did not provide the earphone like they told in the brochure.

But after all the boks gave a good privacy and near the khaosan road, eventhough the price for stay not worthed compare with the facilities and services.

• Stayed March 2014