“Totally awesome.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
San Jose, CA
“Totally awesome.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

Loved it. Everything was super amazing. We stayed twice - two nights in a "Club" room ($240) and one night (later) in a regular room ($160). The rooms were identical - I think the only difference is the food and drink: The Club room includes excellent tapas and happy hour at night, and an AMAZING (spectacular, unparalleled) breakfast in the morning, on the 37th floor. It was worth it just for that legendary breakfast and sunrise view over the city.

This was the first time we'd ever stayed in a 5-star hotel, but it felt more like 7 stars. Just incredible.

Room Tip: Every room seems to have a great view - don't sweat it. If you want the unbelievable breakfast...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Rep, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Bangkok, responded to this review, 7 December 2011
Dear Reviewer,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind feedback and comments on this review. We are pleased to learn that you were happy with our facilities and services espcially at our Club InterContinental on 37th floor.

Once again, thank you for your kind observations, and recommendation on the review. We look forward to the privilege and pleasure of welcoming and serving you again at InterContinental Bangkok.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

I had a reasonably good stay at the Hotel Intercontinental for 7 nights last week.

Good points:

The doormen and person that helped with our luggage were helpful and friendly.

We checked in in the lobby area although we were staying in a corner suite and could have checked in in the club lounge but the woman at the check in counter was very friendly.

The two male staff in the Club lounge were very polite, friendly and helpful and made visiting the club lounge pleasant. Also the woman that usually sits at the desk (has blonde hair) was always very welcoming.

Bad points:

Check in took some time and our room wasn't ready even though it was 3.30pm. We had to wait until 5.30 for our room but was given a temporary room to wait in until then. When our room was ready the bellboy took us to our room but had no keys to give us and we had to wait another 20 minutes before they arrived.

Housekeeping was generally good except they sometimes forgot to replenish certain things. On the last day of our stay we went out from 11am until 4pm but when we got back the cleaner said that she had not yet cleaned our room and asked us when we would go out again. This was not convenient because we weren't intending on going out again and she had 5 hours to clean the room when we were out.

The woman in the club lounge (Thai woman with braces that works nearly every morning) was not particularly friendly. On the first day I encountered her she greeted my husband and asked him if he would like some tea or coffee and he said that he would help himself to juice, then she looked at me and didn't bother asking. On another day she forgot to order my breakfast. On check out, she took 20 minutes to check me out even though we had prepaid for the room and didn't use the mini bar, room service etc. She was ringing a lot of people and didn't bother to give me an explanation as to why check out was taking so long.

Walls of the rooms are very thin as you can hear everything going on around you. Also it is very noisy in the evenings as all the music coming from the club downstairs can be heard.

We took a taxi from the hotel to the airport and had a bad experience with the taxi driver. The driver tried to ask me to pay 400 baht but I asked him to put on the meter but he kept saying that it was a "hotel taxi" but I insisted that he put on the meter. When we reached the airport the fare was 201 baht and I know that the toll charge should have been 70 baht but the driver told me to pay 300 baht in total. I asked him why isnt the toll charge 70 baht and asked him for the toll receipts but he said that he didn't have them even though I saw him receive them at the toll points. I ended up paying the 300 baht and even though it's only 29 baht more which is only about 60 pence and I usually leave this as tip to honest drivers, it was the fact that he continually tried to cheat me out of money. I think that the hotel staff should first make sure that the driver puts on the meter before leaving the hotel and also let you know the toll charge.

The drivers details are:
Name: Meena Somkheat
Driver Number: 81206
Please beware of this driver.

Generally we had a pleasant stay in the hotel. The hotel decor and rooms are very nice, there's a lot of security people around and staff to help you get the lift etc. Breakfast in the club lounge is good and is buffet style and you can also order from the menu. Afternoon tea in the club lounge could be improved, the scones aren't very nice. Cocktails and canapes are good in the evenings.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share us and others your feedback and comments regarding your recent visit to Bangkok.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences which caused you by some substandard services and products shortcoming. We are currently reviewing each of the issues from your feedback and address them with department concerned in order to avoid future reoccurrence.

Once again, thank you very much for your kind feedback and comments as it will help us to improve and keep up the standard of our facilities and services.

We sincerely hope that the above experiences will not tarnish your impression with us and that we will have an opportunity to welcome and serve you again at InterContinental Bangkok.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Loved this hotel, amazing breakfast, beautiful room, loved the roof top pool and it has a good location in Siam Square. The service was amazing here, would like to live in this hotel if I won the lottery!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nvh100
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are glad you had a fabulous stay with InterContinental Bangkok and love our location, facilities and overall service.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the soonest future. And we wish you won the lottery so that you can stay longer with us ^_^

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I was back for the second time , with my wife for a four night stay. This hotel has a great location, right at the skytrain station, a short walk from two major shopping malls and with lots of local colour around. As Ambassador members we were upgraded to the club and availed of the breakfast, tea and evening refreshment services, all very good with a great view thrown in. On this visit we were not given the customary club floor room but was quite acceptable. the rooms are spacious.Always enjoy the Intercon in Bangkok.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your nice review. We are glad you had a wonderful experience during staying with us. Your compliment on room and our location is really appreciated.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Krissan Uthaisri
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

With my wife and two grandchildren staying in adjoining rooms from 23-25 Nov 2011, our stay was just fantastic and enjoyable. The entire staff was simply helpful, friendly and brilliant. This 5 star intercontinental hotel gave 6 star service. Breakfast was very good with wide selection to suit all tastes. It's location in front of the BTS station and adjoining skywalk provides an ideal location to explore Bangkok. This hotel provides Thai hospitality and service at it's best. Highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure due to its central location

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting a wonderful review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. It is always nice to hear good comments from our guests.

We are glad that you like our rooms, facilities, servicce and location. We are also delighted that you found our breakfast was of a good standard and that our staff are friendly and helpful. We will strive to ensure each and every guest’s stay is enjoyable.

Thank you once again and we hope we will have pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

I have just returned from a week in Bangkok, staying at the Inter-Continental. My reasons for being in the city were probably unlike most visitors, since I came to bury my uncle a long time resident of Thailand. First, there were the impeccable facilitites; I was upgraded to an excellent corner suite that was perfect for me; the lobbyies, Club Lounge, restaurants, pool and spa are all first rate. Then there is the location. Absolute central Bangkok. But the key to this property's first class nature is its people from the General Manager right the way down to the guys who open doors. It's service oriented without being overwhelming. And interested in the tiniest detail of your enjoyment of the hotel and of Bangkok. This was my first stay in Bangkok at the Inter-Continental, mostly on the referral of a friend who knew I'd need special attention. I have stayed at the Four Seasons, Shangri-La and Mandarin Oriental in the past, and been to Bangkok perhaps 12 -15 times over the years. I cannot imagine wanting to stay in any other hotel now. Kudos to GM "Mr. Markus" and his superb team.

Room Tip: Spend the little money on an upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Rep, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Bangkok, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Dear Mr. Burns,

Our GM, Mr. Markus Platzer and all the staffs would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback and wonderful comments on TripAdvisor review regarding your recent visit to our property.

We are extremely delighted to see that you enjoyed and happy with our facilities and services. It is most rewarding to learn that our facilities and service are appreciated by our guest. We will do our best to keep up the standard of our facilities and overall services.

Once again, thank you very much for your observations, and fine compliments. We look forward to the privilege and pleasure of serving you again at InterContinental Bangkok

Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

My father, friends and colleagues recommended the Intercontinental Bangkok to me because they had a major renovation and because the rates aren’t so high in the time of the flooding’s.

We had an afternoon flight from Singapore and arrived around 18:00 in the airport. The queues at immigration took a while and when we entered the arrival hall, there were many people shouting and waiting for someone, I did not know who they waited for.

We took a taxi to the hotel, I know the hotel offers a BMW 7 to pick people up but the price of it is a few times the price of a normal cheap taxi.

The taxi took us to the hotel but on the highway we stood still for an hour because someone of the royal family was passing by. After 1 hour and 35 minutes we finally arrived at the – dry – hotel. Immediately some bell men took our luggage and helped us with these. We went to the ambassador check in to check in. At first there was no body there but then Ms. Umavadee came to us and we gave our Ambassador and Platinum priority club card to her. She made a phone call and said we were upgraded to a club room. I emailed the hotel in advance to arrange that upgrade so I wasn’t surprised about it.

Ms. Umavadee brought us to the elevators and brought us upstairs to the 37th floor. There she handed us over to Ms. Ananya from the Club Lounge. We sat down and got two guava juices as welcome drinks. She was friendly and checked us in. Because it was 19:50, the evening snacks almost finished so my friend had a seat and ate something while I was still checking in. We got a very nice present as Ambassador members, it was a small elephant filled with tealeaves. She gave us a room on the 29th floor, even though there are 37, we got a room that low so I asked for a higher room. She had to call somebody so I had a drink even though it was already after 20:00.

She came to me and told me surprisingly that I am not entitled for an upgrade to the lounge and can only buy access to it for an amount. I was shocked and she told is so loud, everyone was looking at me. I said we will discuss it at her desk so I went to the club lounge reception with her. Because there the first name of the ambassador card is not exactly the same as mine in my passport, she would not give the upgrade to me.

I was very angry and felt very disappointed in the hotel because I emailed the reservation department prior to my stay for explaining this thing and the reservation department allowed the upgrade and confirmed it to me by email.
I asked immediately for her manager or supervisor because she was not able to help me. She called her supervisor and after a while, because the hotel is not very full, she will give the upgrade to us free of charge.

I was happy about it and at the other side disappointed in the poor communication between the different departments inside the hotel. Thanks to Ms. Chutima, the guest relations manager and duty manager at that time, I could keep my upgrade.

So now I missed the happy hour and my drinks were gone.

She gave us key cards from our room on the 31st floor. Our luggage was already there. The room was new and very modern decorated.

Our bathroom on the left side had a separated bath and rain shower, sink and toilet. The room itself had two big twin beds, a very big Plasma TV and a big desk. There were some letters for us telling that the windows will be cleaned the next day and an update on the flooding situation in Bangkok. The hotel is not in the flooding zone when I stayed there. There were many sandbags protection the hotel in case there would be water in the future.

After a while somebody brought us a little fruit basket and one small bottle of mineral water.

We went downstairs to the modern Concierge lounge and spoke to the concierge, Mr. Ing. We asked him what we could do the next day and what of the sights were flooded. He was very aware of the current situation and extremely friendly and helpful and showed us a map and flooded areas and all touristic sights.

He showed us some tours which we could do with a private guide and private car. We opted for a tour of the Palace, Emerald Buddha, Reclining Buddha and some other important Buddha’s and sights like the flower market.

We got our private guide, private car and driver. The price was relatively cheap but the guide was thankful we still came to Bangkok even when there are some flooding’s. We paid him and he dropped us back at the hotel. One comment, the Concierge told us drinks were included in the car but no drinks were available on the tour for us, we got one complementary bottle of mineral water free of charge.

We took a look of fitness, on the 36th floor, and we were very surprised. It is one of the best and one of the best views for a fitness center ! There was one staff member but he did not do much. The machines are brand new and everything you can imagine was there ! An excellent example how all fitness centers should be. Tap water en towels were available.

The hotel has a pool on the 37th floor, it is a rooftop one and very good. There is also a bar and some sun seats and off course a very nice view !

It was Happy hour and there were some people in the club lounge. There were many snacks available and all from a very high quality. Chicken sates, Dim Sum, chocolate mousse, etc. All very tasty and filled by. Only a shame that they are filled by until 19:30, after that they do not fill by and only keep the stocked plates on the buffet and they remove empty ones. At 20:00 sharp, all plates on the buffet are taken away even though some are still full.

Service by Ms. Andrea, Ms. Khattya and the bar tender, Mr. Jirakarn was extremely good and all were very friendly. Especially Ms. Andrea was outmost friendly.

During happy hour, there is a menu card available with made-to-order cocktails and drinks. One of the best evening snacks in a club lounge in a hotel in my life.

During the day, multiple security staff are in the hotel and one of them, Mr. Priwan I will remember for his outstanding hospitality and friendliness !

Next morning breakfast in the club lounge. There was actually no guests in the lounge at breakfast except one table. Breakfast is extremely good and with all the necessary products there ! Self made marmalades, different kinds of bread, fruits and three different juices. Everything is detailed and from a very high quality. Charcuterie was outstanding with fresh salmon and many others. After a while, a singing group called x japan sat in the lounge, even though we did not know them, we were told that all those people at the airport were waiting on them.

In a menu guests can choose between multiple kinds of eggs cooked to order.

Service is like always excellent.

The club lounge offers free Wifi, free iPad 2 to use inside the lounge, iPad to rent, Computers, printing facilities and meeting rooms.

The hotel is located in the city center of Bangkok and next to some major shopping malls and restaurant. In front of the hotel is the metro station and taxis are plentiful.

A truly 5 star hotel with definitely the best Club Lounge !

After my stay, we got an email of the executive assistant manager, Mr. Suri, thanking us that we stayed and if we would write a review on Tripadvisor, one of the first hotels with such a good idea !

Room Tip: Take club rooms !
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends