“Excellent venue in central Bangkok”

InterContinental Bangkok
Ranked #22 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed here during the recent Rotary International Convention. Comfort and level of service exemplary. Probably the best breakfast buffet we have ever experienced. Tried out two of their restaurants, both excellent. Surrounded by shopping malls and skytrain just two minutes walk away. A must when we go back to Bangkok.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
FOM I, Manager at InterContinental Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with InterContinental Bangkok.

We are glad that you like our location and overall comfortable service. We are also delighted that you found our breakfast was of a great standard and helped you to have a great dining experience. We will strive to ensure each and every guest’s stay is enjoyable.

Thank you once again and we hope we will have a pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Kwanchai Quincy Yokto
Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed 23 May 2012

My Wife and I were heading to Thailand for a little vacation at the end of April and I used some of my Priority Club points to book a two night stay at the Intercontinental Bangkok. From initial arrival to final departure, everything about our stay was fantastic. I have stayed at many nice hotels throughout the years for personal and business and I think this hotel is the nicest place I've ever stayed. The excellent service started before I even arrived. If you read very many of the reviews for this property, you'll notice that management replies to most if not all of the reviews with either appreciation or acceptance of any concerns and assurance that the matter will be taken care of. I decided to contact Mr. Krissana Uthaisri who is the Front Office Manager at the hotel and let him know of our upcoming stay and how much we were looking forward to it.
He responded by confirming our reservation and welcoming us to the property and assuring us the staff would be ready to welcome us. I really appreciated him taking the time to respond to my email and welcoming us to the property. Upon arrival you are greeted at the door by the bellman, your bags taken aside so you can head to the front desk and be checked in. Ms. Chutima who is the Guest Relations Manager immediately welcomed us and began our check in process. After the paperwork was complete, she escorted us to our room and showed us the features and amenities. She provided her card and asked if we needed anything to please contact her. I was VERY impressed. Later that day we went up to the Club Level Lounge on the top floor to enjoy the happy hour. What an incredible view. My Wife and I were both VERY impressed. I know the Happy Hour is not designed to be a dinner but it nearly could be if you wanted it to. The bar made excellent drinks and the servers were EXCELLENT, showing just enough personal attention to make you feel welcomed and appreciated but not staying so long that you would wish them to go away. It was a nice way to start our trip in Thailand by really enjoying their excellent service.

The following morning, we headed back up to the Club Lounge to enjoy breakfast. Many fresh options to choose from both on the menu and at the buffet area. My Wife really enjoyed the fresh juices that are available. Again, the views were amazing as well as the service.
This basically repeated itself the following day.

One other note about the lounge...there was one young Thai lady in particular who was a server or whatever you want to call her, extremely friendly, great service and pleasantly attractive... some guests at a nearby table to me during happy hour were trying to flirt with her... offering to marry her and such. While I wanted to go dump a beer on these fools heads, she handled the situation so professionally, I was VERY impressed.

We also enjoyed the rooftop pool one evening. As others have commented, its rather small but when we went, there was no one else in the pool so it didn't matter. I was ever so slightly disappointed that the pool attendant didn't bring us water or towels as I think they normally do... he was too busy texting on his phone but that is really minor in the whole scheme of things.

Our room itself was excellent. Great view. Spotlessly clean. Nice work area to do business, incredible bathroom with nice high quality amenities. We did order room service one of the nights and it was prompt and reasonably priced for this type of hotel and the food quality was great. The bed was perfectly comfortable and my Wife especially liked the "Pillow Menu" available to the guests.

Upon checkout, I finally was able to meet Mr. Krissana and he thanked us very much for our stay and welcomed us back the next time. I know this is a high end property but that kind of service is really impressive to me.

When we are in Bangkok again... there is only one place to stay. Intercontinental, Bangkok.

Thank you again Mr. Krissana and Ms. Chutima and the rest of the staff!

Room Tip: Enjoy a high floor for great city views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelinpdx
FOM I, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2012

Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you very much for choosing InterContinental as your "home" on your previous visit to Bangkok.

Please allow me to express my sincere appreciation on your kind patronage to our hotel as well as your beautiful comment and very detailed feedback on our facilities, room, Pillow Menu, Club InterContinental on 37th floor and overall service delivered to you by our great people.

I am pretty much delighted to know that we have succeeded in creating a memorable experience for you and your wife and helped both of you to have a wonderful time in Bangkok as well as a great stay experience with InterContinental.

I would also like to personally thank you for your gentle recognition on our team members especailly for myself and Ms. Chutima our Guest Relations Manager. We all send our very best regards and appreciation to you and your wife for the recognition.

Once again, thank you for your kind observations and recommendation on the review. We look forward to the privilege and pleasure of welcoming and serving you and your wife again at a "Great Hotel Guests Love"... InterContinental Bangkok!

Please do not hesitate to channel your room reservation to me directly so that my personal attention can be spared and to assist you on all the requests.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

This is a very busy hotel but located right in the middle of shopping Bangkok, with major shopping centres surrounding it, ocean world a short walk away and off course the MBK is only 2 stations away.

The club rooms are well worth it, the club serves a great breakfast for free and then there are the evening drinks and snacks, good quality and selections.

The rooms were good, the only complaint I have is that I emailed the hotel 4 weeks before going and asked for twin beds, even after 5 emails they never responded.

I then emailed the ambassador department, they did respond and gave the standard response of we’ll forward your request but cannot guarantee anything, this is a little silly since everyone knows that most king size beds are made up of 2 beds anyway!
One day before leaving I emailed them again and reminded them of my request and they said it would be ok. We then arrived at the hotel and at check in I repeated my request, the lady said yes and sent us up to the club check in desk where after checking in we went to the room, where, big surprise, we had a kingsize bed! Now the reason I ask for 2 beds is that my husband is a very restless sleeper and I end up getting no sleep at all, not so nice on holidays. So we ended up having to separate the beds ourselves...

I would think that a big hotel like this would be able to accommodate a simple request like this.
Other than that, it’s a great please to stay at, the lovely older waiter in the club is just so nice and does a fantastic job. I will stay again.

Room Tip: Pay for a club room if you are staying for a couple of days, very good value!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
FOM I, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for chosen InterContinental as your home on your previous visit to Bangkok.

After gone through the lines of your review, I must admit that I am very disappointed to see you have encountered with some difficulties on contacting us via email. As result, you were not able to receive the room according to your preference.

Please accept my sincere regret for this incident as there is simply no excuse for what transpired. I will seriously address the issue with department and staff concern in order to avoid the reoccurrence of this nature.

Despite of the incident, I am deligted to learn that you enjoyed with other aspects of our hotel such as our stylish room and the great service at Club InterContinental on 37th floor.

Once again, thank you very much for your kind feedback and comments as it will help us to improve and keep up the standard of our facilities and services. I certainly hope that the above experience will not tarnish your impression with us and that we will have an opportunity to welcome and serve you again at InterContinental Bangkok.

Please channel you room reservation to me directly so that my personal attention can be spared to ensure of your great stay experience.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Hotel staff are very friendly and professional. The location is excellent, surrounded by
super malls and lot of choices for restaurants in the malls. Sky train is just in front of the hotel
that will take you to all places including the airport.

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank vicharn v

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share us and others your feedback and comments regarding your recent visit with InterContinental Bangkok. I appreciate the wonderful review you wrote about our hotel and staff.

I and our accommodating staffs look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

LOCATION: The excellent location is extensively covered in my two previous reviews of this hotel. (See links below).

HOTEL: Upon our late afternoon arrival, we were told by a Personal Club Assistant that our twin suite upgrade complementary to a Platinum Ambassador Club member would not be available before 21:00 hrs because of a late check-out of the current room occupant at 20:00 hrs. We informed the staff that this was unacceptable. Assistant Club Manager Ms. Julia B. was called and a temporarily twin room was arranged. She promised us that our twin suite would be available upon our return later that evening. To our surprise, when we return at 22:30 hrs the suite room was a double-bedded room, not a twin as agreed. To top it off, there was a bottle of wine from the Assistant Club Manager, apologized for any “inconvenience” caused during check-in earlier with her. We went straight to the Club floor and demanded to speak to the Night Manager, Khun Vanatphony. We declined an offer of another thirty-minute wait for the housekeeper to rearrange the room. It was late and we were tired. Besides, this would affectively mean even though we had checked in at around 17:00 hrs, we would not be getting our room before 23:00 hrs. It was obviously bad by any standard. Hence we gave the Club staff a five-minute deadline to arrange a new room, any twin room would do. The Club staff deserved kudos for managing to remain calm in front of two very unhappy guests and we had got our keys to a twin-room within that five-minute deadline. The complimentary bottle of wine from Ms. Julia B. was promptly returned to the Night Manager Khun Vanatphoney. With his polite, courteous and apologetic demeanor, he managed to cool the situation down considerably. However, we did believe the Assistant Club Manager should have showed more care and professionalism. We were misled by the veneer of her good looks and gentle smiles camouflaging her incompetence. The agreement was simple: twin bed, not double. Even on this simple arrangement she could not deliver, leaving her colleagues in an awkward situation. When we asked her earlier in the afternoon whether it would have helped if we had informed the hotel that we would be arriving early, though this was not the fact, to secure a room on our check-in, her reply was “yes”. This was of course totally contrary to the guaranteed-room-availability-on-check-in rule (if booked 72 hrs in advance) for a Platinum Ambassador Club member.

CONCLUSION: We had intended to raise our concerns with Chief Executive Jan Smits and General Manager Markus Platzer, but we were so impressed by the Assistant Front Office Manager, Khun Kwanchai’s handling of this debacle, we were willing to let it pass. It was also really nice of him not charging us for our two-night stay, (although one was free anyhow due to the Reward Night Voucher), but the issues with the hotel staff need to be resolved sooner than later. A few reviewers, including us, raised concerns of the inconsistency of services, the on-and-off front door staff and the concierge issues, not to forget the below par treatment of Ambassador Club members. Time and again, the replies from the hotel management were of the same formulae: “thank you for your comment, we apologise for any inconvenience caused, rest assure the problem has been raised with the department concerned and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon”. If you carefully read the reviews of this hotel the last couple of years, there were a lot of promises, but not much has changed here at the Intercontinental Bangkok. As of last weekend, the front door staff still was one of the worst in Bangkok, a bell staff who supposed to assist us with the room change ran off before helping us with the luggage, some of the concierges still were very moody and unapproachable and one of the breakfast staff still gave us a nasty look when we accidentally gave her wrong room number. If the top management of this hotel is not doing something drastic, the excellent location, the good-value-for-money room rate and a few competent staff will not be able to save the Intercontinental Bangkok from a steadily descent into becoming the worst Intercontinental hotel in Asia.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank HKasyouare
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Dear HKasyouare,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We are deeply sorry for the way your check in was handled. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. I am pleased our Assistant Front Office Manager was able to assist you and rectify the situation to your satisfaction.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 21 May 2012

InterContinental Bangkok is so well run and managed. The team there lead by Markus Plazter are very focussed and deliver the highest level of service and product. The rooms, F&B and spa are wonderful. Highly recommend you checking it out!

Room Tip: corner rooms are best for families
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent visit with us. Your wonderful review and compliment on InterContinental Bangkok team especially for our General Manager Mr. Markus Platzer is very much appreciated. We will continue to do our very best and keep consistency on high level of service.

Thank you once again for letting everyone know that we are truly "Great Hotel Guest Love"

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We have stayed there 1 night in an Executive Deluxe Room up on 32nd floor.
1st of all, it's a very nice and luxurious 'feeling' hotel. Walking in that morning in our shorts and t-shirt almost felt inappropriate. But we didn't bother :-) A lot of staff and all very friendly
2nd, it's located max 5min walking from all know (big) shopping malls: Siam (Paragon, Centre and Discovery), Central World, ...
3rd, even though we didn't use it, the pool on the roof was very nice
4th, the room and the view was very very good. All needs (and even more) for a business or pleasure traveller were certainly met. Example. The pillow menu contained 13 choices.

But, as we redeemed the cost for the room from priority club point we do not know the exact price. But our feeling said it had to be expensive. So I cannot judge on the price/quality. The hotel is located very close to all the malls and known restaurants. All of the shops in those malls + all of the non-thai restaurants are equaly expensive as in Europe (example: a pair of pants at Zara costs 2990 bath).

Conclusion: it's an incredibly nice hotel, but if you want to do Thai things for Thai prices you have to walk away from the malls for about 15 mins and try to find thai restaurants or thai shops. We found a good one, only 15mins walking opposite to Soi 7 on Thanon Lang Suan.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bartnouwen

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your experience in our hotel.

We are truly happy to know that we have succeeded in creating a memorable experience for you and helped you to have a brilliant time in Bangkok. You fine compliment on our location, rooms and pillows menu is highly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your kind observations, and recommendation on the review. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,