“really disappointing”

Ranked #16 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
toronto canada
“really disappointing”
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Went to this hotel in the middle of july, arrived at night to be greeted by'no one'. We had three rooms and 5 people but the clerk tried to do them all at once and confused the rooms and the people's passports over and over and over again. The process took 30 minutes, found our way to our rooms and they were pleasant enough but strangely configured.
Since i am gold member i was told my internet was free, it wasnt and upon checkout couldnt get satisfaction.
The girl on the checkout was the "meanest woman i have ever met in Thailand"
I was so disappointed in this hotel and had planned to use it more in the future because my business requires me to be there 30 plus nights a year.
I am going back to the Oriental or some of the other hotels who seem to appreciate your business.
People in the other rooms were treated shabbily as well so they are definitely constant about, poor service and a bad attitude.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
American
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Very impressed with the service at the hotel. The concierge was wonderful, helping us with directions, organizing cabs to/from koh samet, etc. The rooms were very nice and very clean. Overall, you can't go wrong. Will definitely stay here again when back in Bangkok.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank mini_rone
brisbane
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We stayed at the Intercontinental in Bangkok in July, this being our third trip to BKK and our third stay at the Intercontinental. Our two previous stays were so good we couldn't wait to get back and be spoilt and enjoy the excellent location. Well, the location hasn't changed and is still great; market, restaurants, skytrain access, everything. We ate at the kerbside stalls every day and had the best food in Thailand. Unfortunately the hotel was such a let down. It had been modernised and all it did was cheapen it. The female staff members no longer wore the traditional clothes but were done up in black and silver gear; sounds nice, but looked a bit, shall I say it, "red light district gear". I don't know what has happened to their staff training but almost everyone that we dealt with either spoke limited English or even limited limited English. We had cocktails in the lounge every afternoon and watched, bemused, as the litter grew under the settees and chairs every day. Obviously had not been cleaned under there during our stay. The peanuts accumulated as did paper rubbish. I was devastated as we had so looked forward to another wonderful stay as our intro to BKK again. My husband had to go to the bar and ask for service as none was forthcoming from the staff who wandered around and refused to catch our eye.

I think I have to agree with the previous reviewer that they have done some enormous cost cutting. Breakfast was very very average. But worst of all was the lack of service that we had come to expect from the Intercontinental. The room was not as good; the new curtains let the light in whereas the old type were blackouts. The TV belonged in an antique shop. The toiletries must have been purchased from the wholesaler at the market for a discount price. Not good for a 5 star hotel. Fortunately I had not booked the Intercontinental on our return trip and we stayed at the new Le Meridien. This was what the Intercontinental used to be!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dainabrisbane
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I needed to stay in the Pratunam commercial area and reserved a Club Suite for 2 nights, July 10/12 and also reserved the airport greeeting/car service. I was surprised that car service may only be reserved by email to Concierge and not as part of the IHG reservation web site as is done by the BKK Oriental Hotel.

Upon arrival, Airport greeting service was excellent and BMW service for 2700 baht one way to Hotel was prompt. Club Floor guests are not met curbside upon arrival but there is a separate check-in on 37th Club Floor. Front desk staff in lobby did not look friendly. Since Hotel occupancy was less than 40%, I was surprised to not be upgraded to the 37th Club Floor. Instead, was given suite on 20th floor facing a taller office/apt building with boring view of rental signs. Lots of annoying late night noise on 20th floor from music activities outside on public plaza. Suite configuration was rather odd. Previous Suites on stays at Bangkok Landmark Hotel were more spacious.

Club Floor breakfast has set order menu and is served promptly by gracious staff. Evening drinks service with minor snacks was a disappointment. Hotel should spend some money and provide decent evening snacks on Club Floor. I heard other guests making the same remarks regarding a very minor selection of evening snacks compared to usual 5 star hotel evening service for Club Floor guests.

I did not eat any meals at hotel. I checked out a buffet restaurant on Mezzanine Floor for dinner but staff did not look friendly, so went to an outside Thai restaurant. I also searched unsuccessfully in my suite for room service menu, which I finally located last day stuck in drawer of vanity stand in bedroom. Suggest the menu and other hotel details be placed in room desk.

I took Hotel BMW service upon check-out back to Airport. Was surprised that Hotel did not have its airport porter staff greet car upon arrival and transfer my luggage to check-in. Would not spend money again on return trip to airport, it is cheaper to order a private limo service for 800 baht if Hotel only provides standard drop off at curb.

My overall impression is the Hotel is located in a major shopping area but due to decline in tourism to Thailand, the Hotel has had to reduce its expenses. I visited the Royal Orchid Sheraton on this trip and found the River City shopping area to be equally affected by the reduction in foreign visitors.

As a frequent visitor to Bangkok over the last 20 years, unless I had reason to stay in the Pratunam commercial area, I would probably not stay at this hotel again but would prefer either the Royal Orchid Sheraton or the Oriental Hotel along the river or the Landmark on Sukhumvit. However, for those looking for a standard 4 star hotel with decent security in a major inner city shopping area, the room rates are acceptable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank WaikikiMan
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Simply excellent combination of Thai hospitality and international service standards.
Staff were exceptionally attentive, going out of their way to cater to your needs, enquiries etc.
Locaton is right at the heart of the shopping district, easily accessible via the BTS trains and taxis.
Rush hour traffic is bad as Ploenchit is a major road, then again is bad over entire Bangkok.
No complaints at all.
For me it would be the place to stay in Bangkok

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank r0yyap
London
Reviewed 10 July 2009

I am a Intercontinental Ambassador and I am a big fan of Intercontinental hotels. However, when I came back to Bangkok to stay in this hotel again, I was very disappointed with their service provided.

Firstly, the check in. I was welcome by a male stuff with a very cold face in the check in desk. In processing of my information, he received a phone call and then totally ignored me for 5 minutes. In this case, a female stuff took over and finished my check in. However, I wasn't neither showed to the lift or showed to my room, not even asked. As a loyal customer, I was showed by her hand. What a surprise.

Secondly, I changed my plan and wanted to stay one more night so I called the front desk. After 10 minutes they go back to me and asked me to leave the hotel because there isn't any room available. (I doubt it) So I had to pack up my stuff in a rush and move to another hotel nearby. No apology or help or compensation was offered anyway.

Lastly, the check out. Another male stuff, same cold face and standing there looks like he wanted me to leave as soon as possible. Really disappointed.

However, the stuff at the concierge was very welcoming and helpful.

Above all, I would never come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank mrlnb
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I love Bangkok and Intercontinental Bangkok is my top pick for my stay there. Its a high-rise hotel with large luxurious rooms filled with every amenity you generally expect from a 5* business hotel. High-floor rooms have panoramic views of central Bangkok. The service is efficient but not so personal - typical of a business hotel. The biggest advantage of staying here is the location - you have everything around this hotel to keep you busy at Bangkok all through the day and in night too. Large shopping malls, great spas, a variety of restaurants, nightclubs - everything is within easy reach. Getting to and from Suvarnabhoomi airport is rather easy (by taxi) as the hotel is near to a freeway entry-point helping you bypass the notorious Bangkok traffic.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sabyasachi