“good location but strictly average stay”

Grand Mercure Bangkok Fortune
Ranked #142 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Pune, India
“good location but strictly average stay”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

i had stayed here for 4 days and below are my observations:

pros :
1. good location,very close to the metro station from where you can take a train
2. view from 14th floor was great
3. breakfast & dinner timings are extensive, lot of buffer for people from different time zones
4. red wine kept in the room fridge was of good quality

now, comes the part which made me give an average rating:
1. no vegeterian option in room menu
2. breakfast also had very limited vegeterian options
3. room was OK
4. swimming pool is way too small, & the worst i have ever seen in a huge hotel like this. there was nobody there in the morning around 9am.. for the same obvious reason i guess.
5. room safe locker is too small, can't keep a laptop inside. (i was worried about the safety of my laptop, thankfully i had a good suitcase lock & i kept it inside the suitcase & locked it) .. other hotels offer a bigger size usually.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
GeneralManager-GMFB, General Manager at Grand Mercure Bangkok Fortune, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear priyamurthy11, Thank you very much for positive comments on our superb location, view, good selection of wine and variety of breakfast. We have also taken notes on the availability of vegetarian offers, size of safe and pool that will take into consideration upon our product review. Meantime, I look forward to welcome you on your return. Best regards, Stanley Chan/General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The hotel is located right next to MRT station, and a plaza across the street. I stayed here with a tour group, and because it was chosen by my tour agency, no idea on the costing department :). My experience during the stay is quite good, probably because most of the things had been taken care of by the tour agency.

Room is quite spacious. We added 1 extra bed in the room, and there's still enough space for three of us to get around. AC is good. Bedding is good. There are lots of electricity sockets, so you can charge your gadgets and power banks at night. Bath room is equipped with bath tub, shower with hot and cold water. Toiletries and towels are available. Breakfast is good. There are labels on the food so you know which one is pork, chicken, or beef.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Malmö, Skåne Län, Sweden
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I'll list my reasons here:

1. The staff has very poor English speaking skills. You will be transferred between two to three people every time just to convey one simple message. When they misunderstand you, because they don't understand English well, they roll their eyes as if you are the problem. It got so bad that I dreaded asking the front desk for anything because I knew I would be transferred back and forth between people and still not get what I need. (In all fairness, the concierge and the door man spoke pretty good English and had a fantastic attitude. My complaint is with the staff front desk, the lobby bar and the restaurant. Terrible attitude.)

2. The wireless network is weak. We asked for help and they sent a tech support person to the room. She said the network is down but she would send up a base station for us to use for the time being until the problem is solved. She left the room and we never heard from her again and we never got the base station.

At one point it got so bad we went to the lobby to ask for another connection. They offered an alternative solution, I asked them if it will be a stronger connection, they replied yes, however, it wasn't. Yet, they still ended up charging us money for it!

3. The air conditioner in my room had some kind of malfunction. Every 4 to 5 minutes, a loud noise, similar to a door slamming would come out of nowhere. At first, I thought it was the door from other rooms but every time I went into the hallway to check, there weren't any people there. I finally realized it was my air conditioning. We reported it three times to the front desk, they finally sent someone to check, the engineer heard the noise, I told him to please tell the front desk because it wakes us up in the middle of the night and I am unable to get a good night sleep. I never heard from the front desk again. So I had to sleep in this room being awoken violently by this sound all through the night for several nights.

4. One night, actually, around 4:30 a.m., I was awaken by water spraying on my face. I turned on the light and noticed my face was wet, the right side of my bed and pillow was wet and I could hear loud running water from the air conditioning unit above on the wall. The wall and carpet beneath were also wet. When the engineer was in the room, checking the noise from the air conditioning unit, I asked him where that leak was coming from, he told me it was from the bathroom above.......bathroom above? When I told him that water was spraying on my face, he quickly changed to say it was not bathroom water, it was from the air conditioning unit. I told him to please inform the front desk about it. I never heard back from them. They never offered to move me to another room. If it were water from the upstairs bathroom, spraying on my face, that would be pretty disgusting. You'd think they would move me immediately to another room. They didn't.

If you want to be able to communicate in English and get a good nights sleep, don't risk staying at this hotel. There are hundreds of other hotels in Bangkok that offer better value at lower prices.......and they speak English well.

Room Tip: Book a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert B
GeneralManager-GMFB, General Manager at Grand Mercure Bangkok Fortune, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear Robert B, I am most disturbed to learn of your unpleasant experience. We apologize that they have not been handled in a professional manner. Your comments will be among our team members and we will seek for improvement. Should you not having a good sleep, neither do we. Hope that I can be in touch with you to personally extend to you our sincere apologies. Best regards, Stanley Chan/General Manager
Nagpur, India
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is located on the main street at a corner just next to the metro station.Its a market area where lot of shops,malls ,restaurants are situated.The reception and hotel staff is friendly and helpfull.There is free internet in the hotel lobby.The lobby is spacious.Breakfast is good.

Room Tip: select room on top floor
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager-GMFB, General Manager at Grand Mercure Bangkok Fortune, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear sbgholse, Glad to learn of your excellent stay, enjoyed the MRT adjacent shopping facilities and countless dining options. We are also delightful to learn of your satisfaction towards our Reception service, free internet & atmosphere at the lobby and our breakfast. Your kind words will be passed onto our team as the best motivation. Look forward to welcome you back soonest. Personal regards, Stanley Chan/General Manager