“Good resort in Bangkok”

Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort
Ranked #24 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
“Good resort in Bangkok”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012 via mobile

Very good resort in Bangkok. Large resort type facilities, with a nice, large pool - facilities that are hard to find in Bangkok. Good selection of restaurants in the hotel. Some reviews say that the rooms / facilities are aging - but I found the room and facilities to be very good. Room seemed as if it may have been recently remodeled.

If looking for a resort type hotel in Bangkok - I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank ShanghaiShu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,001)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

The hotel was previously a Marriott resort, but now run by Globel Hotel Alliance.
This is the first time we have stayed at the Anantara, and must say it is a wonderful hotel.The rooms are spacious, very clean, and all amenities are provided in the bathroom, along with a dressing gone and slippers.
The Riverside restaurant has a great buffet breakfast, with everything you could wish for.
Pool side is good for drinks and snacks at lunch time, and after 4pm 2 drinks for the price of one, from alcohol to soft drinks.
We had dinner at Trader Vic's restaurant and it has a very comprehensive menus. The food is excellent and very tasteful.
One of the things that one notices in a good hotel is it's staff, and the Anantara is way ahead of the rest. Staff are so courteous, highly professional, nothing is to much trouble for them,thus providing excellent customer service.
I would highly recommend the Anantara Hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room over looking the pool, and the waterway. Very quiet, and also an outside balcony.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Sorry, but cannot agree with glowing reviews of others on this property. In fact, was so disappointed that the morning after our late-night check-in, I moved my family to another/better hotel (Shangri-La Bangkok), where we were much happier for the duration of our holiday. Problems with this property, we found, were:
(1) evidently poor staff training:
* as I lack Thai, hoped English would work, yet found most staff
very weak on English
* staff often forgot things, so had to request some things repeatedly
(was so in restaurant and with housekeeping)
* staff often seemed misinformed, and in some cases uncaring;
for example: called to reserve for dinner at "Thai restaurant",
was told Long Bar served Thai; as I have a young child, said I'd prefer restaurant
vs. a bar; was told "oh no, it's just called a bar, but is a restaurant";
upon arriving, found it was indeed primarily a bar; told hostess we
had reservation, but she seemed to care less, and walked away
in the middle of my speaking to attend to something else;
we just gave up and left
* Check-in process even for "club lounge" suite was lengthy and tedious;
although hotel rep kindly gave my family "welcome juice", she kept
us sitting/waiting for 20 minutes while she laboriously completed
several check-in forms using info from our passports--quite silly
and inefficient. Was made more difficult by my lacking Thai,
and she lacking strong English.
(2) Mosquito-ridden property: hotel has a curious design where "interior" guest room
hallways and lift lobbies are all open to outside air--thus the air immediately
outside most/all rooms is hot, humid, and swarming with mosquitos...many
of which make their way into rooms (my young son received many
mosquito bites from just the one uncomfortable night we spent in the room).
(3) Property is far from new, and (in our stay) did not seem well-maintained:
* aircon broken in our "suite", where in one room the temp was certainly
above 25C and quite humid; called housekeeping/engineer if anything
could be done; was told (politely) something to the effect of
"sorry, nothing we can do" (no offer to switch us to room with working aircon)
* no hot water in shower/bath in our "luxury suite"
(4) Location is not great:
* Some rooms have river view...but beware what you wish for:
our view was basically of a less-than-lovely "boatyard" across the river.
* "Resort" property is adjacent/connected to (my opinion) dubious
shopping mall featuring such franchises as "Sizzler"
(so-so '70/80s chain of low-end, past-its-prime "all-you-can-eat"
steakhouses in US)--that is, location is far from "charming", in my opinion.
Few positive points:
* Most of staff (except waitress at Long Bar) seemed friendly and well-meaning,
but seemed to be ill-trained for the job of providing a comfortable stay for guests.
* On our check-out 12 hours after checking in, the duty manager (to her credit)
did earnestly ask what was wrong with our stay to make us leave so soon.
I confess that I was too tired to waste more time in going over the long list
of problems with their property--prefer not to volunteer my limited time
to serve as "free consultant" for for-profit companies--so just told her
politely it was many things, paid and left for a good hotel (Shangri-La).

Bottom line: this property badly needs substantial renovation, and big upgrade in employee selection/training.In my opinion, while some reviewers refer to this property as 5-star,
I must strenously disagree--it would barely qualify as 4-star.

Room Tip: Sorry, but best way to get a "good room": go somewhere else, at least until this property...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Robert L
Claudia P, General Manager at Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you sincerely for your feedback which is helpful in our efforts to continuously improve service levels in all areas of the resort and for all guests coming to Anantara. I am glad we have been in contact already separately and once again I am terribly sorry that we have disappointed you.

Warm regards,
Claudia Pronk
Lake Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

This hotel was great from the first moment we got there. Thr grounds are exceptional. You cant even tell you are in the middle of a major city. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I have ever had. It was a great start to our Thailand trip. The only complaint I would have would be the expense of a massage. You can go anywhere in Thailand and get a massage for $10-$15 but here the massages were only offered at the spa and were 3 or 4 times more expensive.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I recently stayed here with my partner, after booking through Travel Bag, which arranged for us to stay here for 3 nights before flying onto Krabi. We were absolutely delighted with the hotel from the minute we walked into its grand reception. The staff are so lovely and helpful, and the decor throughout is beautiful giving the whole place a lovely relaxed and tranquil atmosphere. The pool and pool bar is fab and the other bar and restaurants were great too. My boyfriend and I, also used the gym everyday, which is superbly kitted out with all the latest gear and is big enough not to feel on top of each other. Its airconditione and towels etc are supplied.
Some reviews said that the staff weren't so friendly in the bars, but we did not find this at all.
It was slightly expensive, but staying at such a lovely hotel we expected to pay a bit more. Would certainly recommend taking the river taxi into Bangkok and having a night out.

Our room was lovely, and spotless, and the bed was really comfortable.

Would recommend anyone staying here!! :-)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
asia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Away from the bustling crowds and the shopping frenzy, this is a nice resort hotel. Not very ideal if you intend to spend the entire day in the centre of Bangkok, but good choice if you want to spend some time relaxing by the pool, though it can get crowded at times. The nearby mall has some good and cheaper eat out options. We loved the hot pot or steamboat restaurant, yummy and very cheap for the amount of food we ordered. Rooms are a little dated. They could improve on that.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I recently stayed for 4D3N on holiday at this hotel as I got a pretty good discounted hotel rate. Overall for the price I paid and the service received I thought it was great value. However I did find that the standard of this hotel did not live up to the usual Anantara standard. Starting off with the positives; I thought the service from the staff was really fantastic. From the early check in to the helpful concierge as well as the professional service levels found at all levels in the hotel was comforting.I also tried out the Mandara Spa as I got a 25% discount and the treatments were awesome, very professional with absolutely fantastic ambience. Worth every cent, really realy good. I paid around USD125 before tax per night so I found this to be really great value and top notch value. Now for the negatives... As I understand this was an old Marriot property which the Anantara management refurbished. I'm guessing cost issues was what held them back but its quite clear to me that the refurbishments are far from complete. The rooms are tired and old, the shower really lousy with low water pressure. The bathroom did not seem luxurious at all. The decorations in the room was sparse and uninspiring. The swimming pool was way too small in my opinion for that many guest rooms and woudl fill up really quickly. My biggest qualm though was the horrendous free wi-fi service in the rooms. The signal/reception for the free wi-fi in the rooms were so pathetic that the only way to surf was to go out to the front lobby to use the wi-fi service. I noticed that many other room guests faced this same problem. This really needs to be solved asap. The overall decorations and design throughout this hotel was definitely not up to Anantara standards. They have to buck up if they want to compete with Banyan Tree in terms of Asian luxury accomodations. As for the location, I personally didnt appreciate it. Though the free shuttle boats from the resort to the city was helpful, nevertheless it was a pain if you were later than midnight or simply didnt want to bother with trains and boats which grealty increase your travelling time. A significant increase in hotel activities, decoration, design and better amenities might change the minds of resort goers not to bother to leave the resort though its clear they have some work to do...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NaysanM
Claudia P, General Manager at Anantara Riverside Bangkok Resort, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Anantara Riverside. I will certainly pass on to the team your positive comments on the service provided by our associates. In regard to your other comments, we take this on board and thank you for letting us know. Where possible will use these as examples of what we must do to continue to improve our service and facilities for all guests. I am very sorry we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion and if you would like to get in touch with me personally, please do so on email cpronk@anantara.com

Warm regards,