“Didn't live up to my expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok

JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #32 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Oslo, Norway
“Didn't live up to my expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel is 5*, but need an upgrade. It was nice when it was new, but now it looks outdated. The food/drinks and breakfast is too expensive for Bangkok. The spa is very nice. Big nice steam, sauna, Jacuzzi and cold pool

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Peter C, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear M0nicaN0rway

Thank you for your comments. It is with regret to notice that you feel the property has aged.

We have been continuously renewing facilities including a refurbishment of the Executive Floor rooms in 2010 the Suites in 2011. The Manhattan Bar has been added in 2012 and all the Banqueting facilities will re-open in 3 weeks after a full renovation.

The property continues the yearly renewal cycle in the coming years as well with detailed plans already being worked out.

Meanwhile I like to thank you for your favorable comments about the Spa facilities. Best regards

JW Marriott Bangkok

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I arrived at JW Marriott Bangkok after spending 5 nights at JW Marriott Hanoi. After having stayed at JW's in London, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur and many other cities I was somewhat disappointed with this hotel. Check in was average, nothing special ! Lobby looked dark, gloomy and old ! We got to our interconnecting rooms and found them to be dated and tired looking. The lamp shades looked pass the use by date, all of them, in both rooms. Our floor and rooms smelled funny, I am not sure how to describe it. We had requested extra towels and extra pillows but these requests were not honoured. I called for extra pillows twice but nothing got delivered to the room for 5 hours. I was so disappointed I decided to check out the next morning and relocated to Renaissance Ratchaprasong, couple of blocks down (much better location and hotel). What disappointed me the most was when I asked to check out earlier, I was never given other options, nothing to convince me to stay there, I mean for God sake I am a Silver Elite member. I also found the ladies at the Spa reception to have a bit of attitude. I would strongly suggest to look at other Marriott hotels in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere !
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LovetheMarriott
Dear LovetheMarriott

I am quite disappointed to read your review about your recent stay. Please allow me to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. Your business means a lot to us and it is indeed disheartening to see that you left us after staying for just a day, when your original booking was until the 2nd of August.

The service issues you faced should have been taken care off without any difficulty. Our team missed the initial request for extra amenities in your room. Normally, if requested in advance, the team ensures that the items are ready in the room prior to arrival.

I understand at the time of departure our associate asked for the reason of your early departure. You indicated why you wanted to leave prior to the scheduled date. I agree that a choice should have been given to you in terms of a better room type. The only reason this was not done was because we did not have any avability for the same room category that you were holding. Saying that, we should not have assumed what you may or may not have liked. An alternative should have been offered to you.

The JW Marriott Bangkok opened its doors for the first time in 1997. Over the past few years many sections of the property have undergone renovations. Our grand ballroom on the 3rd floor will re-open on August 28, 2104 after extensive renovations. We have renovated all our rooms at least once over the past years and the category of rooms you have stayed in is now also scheduled for a second round of refurbishment.

Your comments on the attitude of the ladies at the SPA are also been looked into. We encountered some staff turnover in that area recently which might explain your feedback.

I appreciate you bringing your concerns to my attention. Please know that I am sorry that all did not go well with your stay. From your name “ LovetheMarriott” I do believe you are an ardent fan of Marriott. I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to be of service and to restore your faith in our property.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I was unable to write a review for incredible staff untill now. We have stay so many times with them.The service on executive lounge is amazing and staff very kind. k.Palm,aum,pan,apple,kitty,tang,ging, elle,pooky, orn and Wan,Meow who provide all assist.Also special thanks to Babe she always funny stuff so u will never get bored if u stay here!!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Salma W

I like to thank you for your review and for recommending the Team from the Executive Lounge for their efforts and care.

They all will be very happy to read that you have appreciated their service levels during your stays in the past. Everyone here at the JW Marriott Bangkok is looking forward to welcome you back soon again.

San luis obispo, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Having stayed at the Marriott Sukhumvit three times I decided to try the JW for two nights of this trip. The staff was solid and very helpful with everything. However there were some serious drawbacks during my visit and if you follow my reviews, I don't complain often.
1. My room on the 21st floor was a bit dated and there were pieces of the light or phone that had fallen off and was just sitting on the nightstand. The light in the entryway had come out of its fixture in the ceiling and was dangling by its cord. Both issues were reported to the staff and nothing was done about either.
2. The swimming pool is always a big draw for me...however on day two of my two night trio, the day before I return to the USA and the one day that I just want to relax at the pool there is a huge problem. The pool wasn't working and instead of being its normal 4 feet which is perfect for swimming laps and lounging,me pool was not less than 3 feet deep which makes it impossible to do anything except get your feet wet.
3. The lounge food was not what I expected. Having been at the JWs in Hong Kong, Seoul, Beijing and Shenzhen I'd have to rate this lounge food as the worse and most limited. Not many options at all and tonight's featured sushi pretty much disappeared within one minute of its appearance at the buffet. The breakfast options weren't much better and I expected much more.

Location is great, staff is friendly, but there were just too many negatives and I will probably go back to Marriott Sukhumvit next time.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TPM805
peter c, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear TPM805

It is with much regret to read your review, detailing what turns out to be unsatisfactory experience whilst staying at the JW Marriott Bangkok last week.

I hasten to apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay. Our team takes pride in taking care of our guests and I am personally very sorry that we have fallen short of your expectation.

I agree that the issues in your room could have been easily taken care of. We conducted some emergency repairs at the Jacuzzi during the past weekend. We were required to empty the water out of the Jacuzzi to access the places requiring fixing. Both, pool and Jacuzzi are running on the same water circulation. It was therefore the water level of the pool temporarily receded as well. Water levels were back to normal at 6pm on Saturday.

The Executive Lounge, the service and the food selection normally get excellent reviews in this forum as you might have noticed as well. Sushi is being done fresh for each serving and it took some time to replenish this food item after the initial portions were consumed a bit more quickly than anticipated. I apologize if the entire food selection hasn't been available at all times.

We believe that the food selection at the Executive Lounge of the JW Marriott Bangkok is on par with those sister hotels you are referring to, particularly if seen from a price/value point of view.

Again, I am personally sorry that not all went well during your stay. At the same time I remain hopeful, that you would stay at the JW Marriott Bangkok once more during one of your upcoming trips to Thailand, enabling us to restore your faith in our product and services.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

The JW Marriott was a relaxing stay for me and my wife. The hotel is conveniently located to the Nana metro station and numerous shopping and eating options. The executive lounge was the highlight of the visit and I highly recommend booking an executive room. We were personally greeted every time we entered the lounge and the staff remembered our food preferences immediately. This is one of the better lounges in the Marriott system and provided full breakfast and heavy appetizers for dinner that were good for a full meal. My wife and I really only ate lunch out on the economy since the food choices were so good in the lounge. Special thanks to Palm in the executive lounge for her personal attention and help finding things we wanted to do in Bangkok.

The arrival experience was first rate and the service throughout the hotel was very good. The rooms were very clean, but the bathrooms were dated and could use renovation.

One plus is that the hotel seemed to cater to business travelers so the lounge and hotel was quiet and peaceful. I recommend this hotel for a relaxing recharge.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dan B

I am thrilled to read your review. Thank you very much for taking time and trouble to share the good experience you had during your last stay.

I have noted that you recommend the JW Marriott Bangkok for good location, clean and comfortable rooms, as well as the service levels, food selection and attention to detail at the Executive Lounge.

The entire team would be happy to welcome you back soon again. Best regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Having breakfast in the lounge was a high point in our day! Palm greeted us the first day and remembered our names and always had tea ready for us when we walked in! She took time to give us recommendations on what to see and where to go in Bangkok. The chefs, Lib and Tan, also remembered our names and cooked very delicious food! The staff at the lounge as a whole welcomed us and made us feel like family. It was a nice reprieve from the city where we don't know anyone to come back to their smiling faces everyday. Definitely made the city feel more like home. Five stars for Palm, Lib, and Tan, and the whole staff at the executive lounge!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Bbarron29

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay at the JW Marriott Bangkok.

It is very gratifying to read the good words you have for the Executive Lounge Team and I am personally very happy that you have thoroughly enjoyed the experience, particularly the breakfast.

I appreciate your loyalty and like to thank you for staying at the JW Marriott Bangkok when in Thailand.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

From the moment we stepped in the hotel, staff service was great. Greeted every day with smiles in the lobby, executive lounge, my housekeeper, Ms Phun and every staff that passes by. The executive staff lounge treated us like family. Meow and her staff showed were extremely friendly.
Apple, Pan, Palm, Tao, King, Nat and the servers served us professionally and taught us a few Thai words as well. Tan and her cooks created amazing tasty dishes. "Aloi" (delicious) food were many and prepared well. Thank you JW staff "Pop ga an mai"

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Bernard B.

It is with much pleasure to read your review and I like to thank you for recognizing the Team at the Executive Floor for taking such good care of you and all their guests.

They will be thrilled to read your lines in an encouragement for them to continue to exceed guests' expectation when looking after them day in and day out.

It would be very nice to welcome you back soon again to the JW Marriott Bangkok. Best regards