“unsatisfied”

Amari Boulevard Bangkok
Ranked #247 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Door man helps illegal drive, not helped saving guest's money. Everywhere in the hotel smelled. Poor, Gym, beds were very old. It was too much time to waste for connecting internet, because password was not good. When I filled hot water in bus tub, brown water came. The plug didn't work. Karaoke sang too loudly and songs ware very poor it sounded long time till early morning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Yasuhiro K
Alexandre_Frenkel, General Manager at Amari Boulevard Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I was sorry to read that your experience was below your expectations. Whilst we are only able to take limited action against noise produced by the nightlife, especially in this area, I have taken note of your other comments for improvements. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

In regards to the taxis, it is entirely up to guests to accept or refuse to board a vehicle which attempts to charge a fixed price instead of the meter. Whilst we do not encourage to board such taxis, some guests still take them as they are in a hurry and cannot wait until a metered taxi comes. I appreciate you brought this again to our attention.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is great hotel, chosen due to it being close to a business I needed to visit. It's in the Middle-East part of Bangkok and always bustling! It's very close to the Nana BTS but also close enough to walk/ tuk tuk to all the main Siam centres or night life spots. They have a bear garden that is also very good value. I didn't eat at the hotel as their menu is very western focus and $$$. There are some wonderful Indian, Iraqi, Turkish and Egyptian restaurants around but a supermarket, countless local street food plus a McD and Starbucks a block away. There are also plenty of cafe style places for breakfast at a fraction of the hotel buffet. If this is your first time in BKK or you're a frequent visitor you be happy with this place. It's a little old in place but only if you look hard. I was upgraded to a corner room which gave me an excellent view of the city. The staff were some of the most helpful I have ever encountered - I stayed for 3 days but by breakfast on the first day - they knew my name, my language etc. -it was fantastic

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to write. We were very happy to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and the location, and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Best regards

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I used this hotel as my Bangkok base. They were very profsional . They upgraded me when i returned, after bunging me in a below par room on my first visit, which was still a good room with great functions,i.e very good and realativly cheap room service 24hrs, real sat tv. The next room was pretty,r plus a dvd player. There are three resturants and a very refreshing pool also a gym (i think not my thing !)across the small road in front is a very big 24hr supermarket and other bars and resturants allover(it,s Bangkok !) This area is largely an Arab hangout, so if you see a guy with four or more wives in tow thats why.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sukyne

Thank you very much for your review. We were happy to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit to Bangkok.

Best regards

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have stayed at the Amari Boulevard on many occasions over the years. Yet after a couple of years since my last stay, the hotel has changed considerably for the worse.
I was a walk in guest and at reception was only offered a deluxe room as no superior ( and Baht 1,000 cheaper ) rooms were available. Upon showing my iPhone to the receptionist listing superior rooms available through Agoda and Hotels.com , then she was able to release a room for me - I saw one gentlemen turn away given the only choice of a Baht4,000 deluxe room.

The hotel and rooms have become tired and run down and the hotel is no longer deserving of a 4 star rating in my opinion. There are far better, newer and lower priced hotels all along Sukumvit .

With regards to the very numerous Arab guests, well after 30 years spent in the Middle East this was not at all bothering to me, except that on the whole the guests children were allowed to run around too much. Only good thing to comment on is the excellent breakfast , including the appreciated middle east dishes ! However will not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank John W

Thank you very much for returning to the Amari Boulevard after a few years and for giving us your feedback. We appreciate your comments about the breakfast, but are sorry to read that overall your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I have duly noted your remarks about the discrepancy between the rooms shown available on-line at the time you arrived and what you were told at the front desk. On that occasion we had a delay in closing availability on-line and have taken the necessary steps to avoid having such occurences.

I have also noted your remark about children being allowed to run around. The period of your stay occured during a school holiday (first two weeks of April), which explains the amount of children.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is our 3rd visit to Amari Boulevard but also our last. The hotel itself is more than OK, the rooms (we had a deluxe room) is spacious and clean. The pool area is very nice. The hotel serves a broad variety of breakfast choices, both western and Asian. So far so good.
However, during check in, we were helped by a non-Thai receptionist who apparently does not speak to woman. All questions etc. asked by my wife, were answered to me. The credit card handed over by my wife, was returned to me. This did not give a good vibe to us and especially my wife felt uncomfortable, which is a real shame because all Thai staff were very kind and helpful, as we experienced in all other hotels we stayed during our holiday.
The neighborhood has changed a lot since our last visit, which was also confirmed to us by a taxi driver. So sorry, Amari Boulevard, but we will not return.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Schotted
Alexandre_Frenkel, General Manager at Amari Boulevard Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for giving us your impressions further to your latest stay with us. I was glad to read that in general you found the hotel to be more than satisfactory, but very concerned by the particular experience you described at the front desk. As we were able to identify you, we have duly investigated the matter. It appears that the receptionist who handled your check-in is Thai. We have a receptionist from the Middle-East, however we know for a fact that he services every guest, whether they are male or female, according to our service principles.
We shared your comment with the concerned individual. The way he handled you was not meant, as he also handles many female guests. Your feedback contributed to make him aware and pay attention to such delicate matters, this to avoid any misunderstanding.
Please accept our most sincere apologies if we have made you and your wife feel uncomfortable.

Thank you again for your time and loyalty.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

It seem like a hotel of choice for guests coming from Middel East because the hotel is full of them and there are alot of "Arab shops" around the hotel. We stayed at Amari Boulevard for three nights during our second leg of the vacations. Due to some emergency we had to change our arrival dates. Our initial dates had free upgrade from Superior to Deluxe room. However they refused to provide the same upgrade on our new dates. I did not bother much and checked in the superior room. However when we entered the room we were shocked. The room was no where close to a room of a four star hotel. It was in the oldest structure of the building. The rooms were stinky and shabby. They looked and felt more like a room of a budget hotel or an out of date airport hotel. The room, furniture, corridors felt tired and there was distinctive smell everywhere. I couldn't stay for more than five minutes in the room. I complaint to the receptionist but she had no answer and no smile either except to ask for extra cash from me to provide me with a decent room. I had no choice but to pay extra to move into Deluxe room which is the newer complex of the building. In the end I felt cheated and ripped off. I stay in hotels quiet frequently and this was the first time I had to pay extra to move into an acceptable room. Also the rooms especially Superior rooms were no where as good as shown in the pictures. The swimming pool is also small and not well managed. The only plus were the healthy choices in breakfast and property is very close to BTS sky train station. There is also a small street market outside the hotel. All in all in the city where you are spoiled for choice for a hotel, Amari boulevard sit on rock bottom.

Room Tip: Always stay in Deluxe room because the Superior are a total rip off.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mohammad Arslan R
Alexandre_Frenkel, General Manager at Amari Boulevard Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Amari Boulevard. I appreciate your comments about the breakfast and was glad to read you enjoyed the proximity to the skytrain, however I was disappointed to read that overall your experience did not meet your expectations. We were indeed unable to confirm an complimentary upgrade for a period where the hotel was fully booked, due to a week long Middle East school holiday as you have noticed.

As per previous replies posted on this forum our superior rooms are not new, but in this particular case we assigned a room specifically overlooking the terrace and trees. As such based on the initial arrangement provided we feel that the supplement requested for the deluxe room remained reasonable, and I am sorry to learn that you felt abused in this case, and offer our apologies if this has inconvenienced you.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed here for one night because it was the gathering point for a group going on to Bhutan. The staff was very nice and friendly. The breakfast buffet had many options, surely something for everyone. They also have a pretty outdoor pool. However, the place is overrun (and I know this is wildly politically incorrect) by Arabs with large families. My personal theory is that they have people who watch their kids at home but don't bring the help on trips so no one manages the kids at all. There were 8 screaming children in the pool for hours and the oldest couldn't have been more than 12. My room was over the pool (which I had hoped to use) and the din was awful. Across the hall from my room a family had clearly rented a room for kids to play in. The door to the room was open and the kids ran up and down the hallway making noise. When I glanced in the room it looked like a disaster scene. No parents were evident. I did ask the hotel to tell whoever had the room to close the door which they did for maybe 10 minutes. The lobby was overrun with similar families. In the morning I didn't have any hot water in my shower and neither did any of my fellow travelers. It isn't fair to blame a hotel for its clientele and I know that but I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank KayMarco
Alexandre_Frenkel, General Manager at Amari Boulevard Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for your review and kind comments about the staff and the breakfast, much appreciated.

I was sorry to ready that you were inconvenienced by other guests and children during your stay, which appeared to occur during just a week long school holiday, hence the amount of children in the property.

Should you plan to visit us again, you may wish to check with us again whether the period of your stay coincides or not with a similar holiday.