“Nice downtown hotel”

Ranked #67 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Lucknow, India
“Nice downtown hotel”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I traveled with my wife , Amari watergate is nice downtown hotel with awesome views of bangkok city.Its nearness to several mall is a great advantage.It has all the amenities a 5 star should have at reasonable price. Will definitely recommend it.

1 Thank Sukant P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (946)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 18 August 2012

during our recent last lag of our trip to Asia we stayed at Amari for 8 days. The kids love it. the pool was great. they have a great buffet spray for breakfast and everything for everyone. My picky eater was looking forward to breakfast every morning.
The lady was nice and gave us a corner room to give more room for the rollaway bed and room for my kids. Staff was friendly. Great location and central to shopping center nearby.
We would go back again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Traveller123110
Kolhapur, India
Reviewed 17 August 2012

The hotel has everything that it claims for and has it in a very good state.
Restaurants on 4th floor are authentic and they as well have an international menu.
Gymming facilities are GREAT!
Beautiful Poolside, a maintained 8th floor garden with Gazebo (I wish there were chairs in it though)
Proximity to the core shopping area leaves you with very little time to savor the facilities (if you are visiting with your wife and have a couple of small tours here and there)
Wi-Fi works well with Skype and has good speed.

Room Tip: Might wanna choose a room overlooking the pool.
1 Thank Kiranisht
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The 2 day stopover in BKK returing to Europe from Australia was the perfect antidote to longhaul travel. I was upgraded to a better room than I had booked by some very friendly front-desk check-in staff who couldn't have been nicer. The room was clean and well stocked with toiletries and water and was just what I needed afetr a long flight. Location was excellent and the dining in the hotel was very good. The concierge desk was helpful and friendly booking me onto a sghtseeing tour and explainging all the local ammenities (shopping and dining). Overall a very pleasant stay and a definite if I'm passing this way again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My wife and I recently spent two nights at the Amari Watergate to finish off our 2 week honeymoon - how bitterly disappointed we were with the service, they didn't get a single thing right.

- despite having booked and paid 6 months in advance our "honeymoon package" of fruit, cake and sparkling wine wasn't waiting for us in the room upon arrival. It wasn't particularly romantic to walk back to Reception and explain this
- we also asked a staff member at Concierge how to get to the nearest Skytrain station. The amateurish map he gave us had such an inaccurate scale it was essentially useless, wasting a whole hour, lost on the streets
- on our final evening we hailed a cab through a hotel staff member. Despite showing her two maps of the destination we were still taken to the wrong place. To make it even worse the destination was the Metropolitan and the location was Nahm - one of the best restaurants in the whole of Bangkok, so how on earth could she have got that wrong?
- the mini bar in the room did not have a bottle opener so we had to call room service for assistance. Even more bizarrely, room service then offered us a beer at a price that was cheaper than the mini bar! When it eventually arrived the bottle was delivered unopened. Bewildered, I asked the staff member to open it for me. He looked confused and walked about the room before eventually wrenching the top off from one of the cupboard door handles! Fawlty Towers indeed.

Literally every point at which we required service was met with incompetence and confusion. Suffice it to say we will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Ciaran B, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Andrew M,

Thank you for choosing the Amari Watergate for your recent visit to Bangkok. I was very disappointed to hear about your whole experience at the hotel, especially for what is such a special occasion.

I appreciate not having your honeymoon amenities in the room on arrival was most definetly not a good start and I am so sorry you had to then return to ask for them. Please be assured this is a very rare occurrence here as we are known for paying great attention to detail especially when the booking is of such significance to our guests.

With regard to the issues you have experienced with our Concierge & room service, I apologise profusely for these events. I would like to assure you we have addressed these issues with their departmental managers and will ensure incidents like this never occur again.

I can see from your final note that you mentioned you would not return, I would however relish the opportunity to welcome you back and to show you that this was a one off occurrence and for you to leave the Amari Watergate with the positive experience our guests normally do.

Yours sincerely,

Ciaran Brazil
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Our stay of 4 nights in Augst was very disappointing, we were supposed to be in a grand deluxe room but were only give a deluxe, not happy!!! Then had to change to another room due to what sounded like a helicopter hovering outside our window, then in the new room a smell of sewerage which all that was done was a spray with deodoriser. Not good enough for a 5 star hotel. Only good thing was the location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Ciaran B, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Warbyfam,

Thank you for choosing the Amari Watergate for your recent visit to Bangkok. I am extremely disappointed to hear of the experience you had with us and that your stay did not come up to expectations.

I apologize that you were not placed in the correct room category, please let me reassure this is a very rare occurrence here but nonetheless should never happen and I will address this with our front desk team.

With regard to the room issues of noise and the sewerage smell, I completely agree, to spray does not suffice and you should have been moved immediately to eliminate any more discomfort. I will again address these issues with our housekeeping and engineering team to investigate this and ensure we prevent this situation arising again.

Thank you for your comment on the location. At the Amari Watergate, we do pride ourselves on our quality and standard of service; it is with great regret to hear your experience fell short of these. I do hope that if you have the opportunity to come back to Bangkok, you will allow us another chance to show you how great we can be and leave you with the positive feeling our guests normally depart the hotel with.

Yours sincerely,

Ciaran Brazil
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed here for 5 and half nights and in the overall, had an enjoyable stay. Pros: we checked in at 07h30 and were immediately taken to our room on 18th floor so could catch up on some sleep. Hotel is located in a busy area but has successfully managed to keep off the hectic street trading at its front entrance. The hotel is a bit of a distance from the sky train though. The lobby is huge and impressive and at night there are 2 ladies who play traditional instruments and were gracious enough to allow to have their pictures taken . The staff are polite and always attentive. To this extent I wish to commend Tomorn the concierge who was extremely helpful with calls and arranging alternative transport for us when our scheduled airport transfer did not arrive. The quick response of the night manager is also commended when one night a neighbour was making so much noise with his TV but on calling reception, the issue was immediately sorted out. The pool was not crowded and provided a welcome relief from the heat, and the replenishment of water bottles in the room was welcome. There are excellent tailors on the floor just after the lobby.
Cons: The twin beds were hard and it took a while to get used to the hardness. The non-smoking room is a fallacy as the smoke circulates in the air-con. The front desk staff could be more helpful as they do not volunteer any information unless pressed, to the extent that it was only upon leaving that we realized you can catch a taxi right from the lobby doors. Topping it all however is the poor building design whereby the noise of you flushing your toilet or your neighbour doing the same causes such a racket which is worse at night. Because of these concerns, a 4 star rating might be more suitable. However all in all it was an enjoyable stay.
I am glad I made use of Bangkok forum on travel tips as the information came in very handy.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family