“The most warm, welcoming and friendly place to stay in Thailand”

Amari Watergate Bangkok
Ranked #67 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Swansea
“The most warm, welcoming and friendly place to stay in Thailand”
Reviewed 30 January 2011

The service I experienced was second to none and I was made to feel so welcome.
My room was excellent and the staff couldn’t do enough for me.
The location & amenities are on the door step and what isn’t is easy to get to.
You were made to feel that you at home and part of a large family.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (978)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 27 January 2011

We stayed at the Amari Watergate for 3 days in Dec 2010, en route home from Phuket. I must admit that we were probably not blown away by this hotel b/c we'd just spent a week in heaven, at the Amari Coral Beach - and Bangkok after that is a bit of a zoo.

Nonetheless, this hotel was impressive to look at, quite glam and superbly located right in the middle of most of the shopping action, or a short tuk-tuk ride away. There were also nice touches, like the live music in the lobby in the evenings, the free lobby wifi and the bakery downstairs... The spa (Sivara) is truly exceptional and worth the very high prices.

Tho we didn't use the pool deck, it's extremely pretty and very creatively laid out.

My disappointments were few: the room was not *spotlessly* cleaned each day (a dirty plate left lying on the table for a day or two), the turn-downs were quite haphazard, the views from the 12th floor are pretty dismal (I understand that the higher you go, the more you pay, the more glorious the rooms and the better the view...) and the staff are a bit snooty... But we certainly got what we needed - a respite from the BKK madness...

I'm not sure I'd stay here again, but if location is key for you and you want the reassuring welcome of a big, lush, old-style hotel (glass, chandeliers, leather sofas, etc) that clearly knows what it's doing when it comes to business travelers in particular, I'd recommend it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Kitzbuhel, Austria
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Beginning of December 2010 we stay for two days at the Amari Watergate in BKK. Our room was at the 27th Floor with stunning view, breakfast on the Executive Floor at the 32. floor. We spent wonderful days at the Amari. The hotel staff live hospitality. Perfect service we met through all areas. Impossible (during the celebrations for the Thai King) was made possible - thanks to the front office staff. We enjoyed the stay very much and would choose us again for the Amari. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 January 2011

This hotel knows how to make things comfortable for business group travelers. The group check-in was well-organized and really well-done.

The room was acceptable. Large and comfortable though not really very luxurious. For a hotel of this class, I expected a pillow menu which was not available.

The bathroom was a disappointment. Large but showing signs of age. Toiletries provided were limited - no hair conditioner, no shaver, no toothbrush.

The breakfast buffet was also a little disappointing. Again, I expected more from a hotel of this class. Spread was quite limited in variety.

The hotel's at least 10min walk away from the nearest sky train station. Not exactly a very convenient location. Taxis are plentiful but one would have to contend with the famous traffic jams.

In summary, the hotel is not too bad. But I would prefer to stay at a hotel which is nearer to a train station.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Has a wonderful 5 nights booked as a special package direct with the hotel (cheaoer than all of the other sites).

The staff were so welcoming anf friendly and very happy to assist as needed.

The room was a good size with excellent facilities. The gym and surprisingly the bathrooms were wonderful. I love having a sauna then being able to lay in a jet bath to refresh.

The food was excellent, I ate at the hotel's Chinese, Thai restarnats and coffee shop dowstairs. The Chinese restaurant was slightly too pricy but service and quality could not be faulted. I'd recommend avoiding the The American restaurant downstairs, dark and the food was bland.

Breakfast was amazing, with a very wide selection. Excellent quality and cheap (it wa sincluded in the room rate).

Finally, the BMW 5 series limousine from and to the airport was excellent, and cheaper than Viator who I have previously used, and the complimentary chilled water and newspaper was a pleasant welcome after sitting on a plane for 9 hours.

Overall, exceptional.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 January 2011

On Short business trip with a little bit of shopping.
Rooms - Clean and comfortable
Staff - Helpful on directions, friendly on check in
Location - Near to Shopping centre, 30 mins to airport by taxi
Food - 24hrs Mac nearby, Breakfast in hotel average

1 Thank HeavenFire
Cape Town
Reviewed 12 January 2011

Stayed at the Amari twice. In February 2007 I had to move rooms in the middle of the night because the bed sheets were stained with body fluids & hair. In January I caught the waittress at the restaurant ringing up my credit card twice and not telling me - when I informed the restaurant manager she put up a huge charade in Thai and dragged me back and forth between the restaurant and reception without solving the problem, I had the demand to see the hotel manager who swiftly rectified the situation. Had I not walked in and saw the two slips I would not have known I had been charged twice until I got home. Beware, be very aware!!!

8 Thank TravelreporterSA
domaschke, Manager at Amari Watergate Bangkok, responded to this review, 23 January 2011
First and foremost, we would like to thank you for your comments.

The experience you described on this website causes us deep concern.

We would like to offer our sincere apologies for any frustration or anxiety that was caused to you during your recent visit to our Thai on 4 Restaurant. Please let us explain, that it is common practices in any establishment accepting credit cards, when such declined during charge to ask for a cash payments. We run the sum through 2 different credit card machines without any success therefore our Team Members followed the normal hotel policy. Nevertheless we learnt that you had enjoyed your meal in the restaurant. We noted that you did not stay with us this time, only before the renovation 4 years ago. Therefore we were surprise to see your remark in terms of rooms, sleep quality and cleanness.
Once again, thank you for eating in our Thai on 4 restaurant with us, and we do appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention.

Best Regards