“stuck in the 80s”

Ranked #332 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
los angeles
“stuck in the 80s”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I used to stay here in the 80s and it was ok. not really 4-star, closer to 3. Decided to stay here recently as it is a good location, close to MBK, Thompson house and Pratunam market. The lobby hasn't been refurbished since my last stay in '88. The staff is average, some more polite than others. Food is ok, but you could eat better food at a stall for 1/4th of the price of the dishes here. I had an associate visit who had a couple of hours to kill between meetings, and he wanted to use the gym. They wanted 450 b(just over $14). Last time I'll be staying here, even if the room charge drops to 1000b

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank tonlebassac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This is a rather average hotel. We have stayed here on three occasions. Good central location, the Skytrain access is a bit useful but actually over the years the metered taxi situation has improved substantially and the Skytrain is less essential than it used to be.

The decor is drab, the rooms are of a reasonable size but rated dated and a little bit dirty (lots of cigarette butts on the windowsill outside our room for instance). The breakfast buffet has a reasonable amount of Asian food but limited on Western food.

There are a couple of scurrilous practices going on at this hotel. The first one is the hotel taxi stand, where the prices offered are way beyond what a metered taxi would cost. I recommend walking out of the hotel and hiring a taxi from the roadside. Taking one of the hotel's taxis are a ripoff guaranteed.

We were charged a deposit for the room on our credit card; the receipt was torn in two and returned to us. The charge was put through anyway. When I emailed the hotel there was no response. The matter is now with our bank but I recommend avoiding this hotel or at least paying careful attention to your credit card statements after the stay is over.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wrongfooting

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 September 2012

though they have there own skytrain stop link to the hotel the rest of the hotel is average. It looks like a hotel out of the 80's that has stood still. The singers at night, the look of the lobby and even the room wallpaper remember of the good old days.
It okay though.
Only draw back I had was trying to get the same low price for extending my stay. It was 1600 Baht and they were asking 2500 all of a sudden. After getting mad and wanting to go to the airport to book it for the cheaper price the woman from the lobby came and got me out of the taxi and gave me the old price. So even in the hotels check what has to be the wright price.
As said before the rest was just average

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Ware, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

stayed here for two weeks in august 2012 we had stayed back in march 2009 but sadl;y lost a lot of its lustre very expensive on everything exchange rate very poor dont even tthink about taxi from desk unless you are minted eg cost of taxi from bangkok to pattaya 1200 baht
cost of hotel taxi to pattaya 3500 baht say no more you have been warned rooms clean but small and some staff are still as good but alas i would avoid

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
india
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This must have been my 10th visit to this hotel. What draws me to this property everytime is the connectivity to the Sky Train and the room rates. The hotel is very centrally located( 5min by taxi to MBK plaza)

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank singhania
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I had stayed at this hotel on two different occasions (albeit a few years before) prior to my stay in August 2012. On both other occasions I had found the hotel and staff to be pleasant and enjoyed my stay. This time was totally different. The price we paid for two nights was quite steep compared to other hotels of a similar standard in the same area, but as I had stayed at the Asia hotel before, I thought it would be nice to stay here again. On a good note, the hotel is right next to the sky train station so easy to get to from the airport and it's near to a 7/11 if you need any essentials.
On the down side, I had contacted the hotel before we arrived to let them know that this was a special anniversary trip and was hoping that they could offer us a room with a nice view. They never got back to me but I was still hoping that they may offer us a room with a good view on arrival. The room we did get was a twin room despite having booked and paid for a non-smoking double. They said that they had run out of double rooms and would not upgrade us to the next level of rooms even though they had made the booking mistake. They did offer us to move to a smoking room but when we went to view this room, the smell of smoke was so overpowering that we decided to remain in the twin room we were first offered.
Being a special anniversary trip, it was a shame that the Asia hotel couldn't have been a little more hospitable. The twin room we did end up in was dark and in desperate need of updating. There was mould around the bath and sink too.
The service offered by the staff was not good either. I asked for help with calling a local company regarding confirming a special anniversary dinner cruise I had booked before leaving the UK. I explained to the front desk that the company was having trouble understanding my accent and was wondering if they could help confirm my booking in Thai. The front desk told me that they would not do this for me and that I had a hotel phone in the room which I should use.
I had always raved about this hotel due to the 2 previous successful stays I had had, and it was really disappointing for myself and my partner to have had such a poor stay on such a special weekend for us.
I think you can get better value for money elsewhere in Bangkok, even though it hurts me to say this. A really disappointing stay I am afraid!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lucinda j
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

I was here last year as it is very conveniently sited not far from Siam Paragon where I had some engagements.
You get off straight from the Ratchathewi BTS station into the hotel.
The staff are very friendly and helpful and I liked the way my room was decorated. (see enclosed picture)

This time I noticed that I got the best deal by booking via the hotel's website. It beat all the other 3rd party sites like Agoda etc

But what turned out to be the biggest let down for me is the lack of Wifi in the rooms.
Even when you purchase their very exorbitant priced Wifi deals, you can only use it downstairs in the lobby area. This is hardly a convenience.
I am getting used for wifi (especially free wifi) being standard for lots of hotels. So if Asia Hotel don't raise up their game, I will be taking my custom somewhere else.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo