“Great hotel (shame about the Tower Club)”

lebua at State Tower
Ranked #82 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 23 March 2010

For the price we paid (less than 100 euros per room per night including breakfast), this was an excellent value for money. It doesn’t compete with Peninsula but it might be my choice also next time if I don’t want to spend over 100€ for a hotel per night. We took an upgrade to Tower Club on arrival (and paid 35euros per night for that). Big mistake, wasn’t worth it. Without the upgrade I probably would have given Lebua 5 stars since I really liked the hotel but if I pay for something and do not get any value, I feel cheated. Let’s start with the positive points in this hotel.

The rooms are big and offer fabulous views over Bangkok. We stayed on the 54th floor. The bed was comfortable and bathrooms spacious with a separate shower and bathtub. Big plus for Bulgari amenities and amenities in general (hair brush and a loofah included). A woman always appreciates such things. We had chocolates in our room on arrival and water bottles were provided daily. Free internet was included to the price.

Check in went smoothly and the lady who checked us in was very professional and polite. The hotel breakfast was excellent. Plenty to choose from and good quality food. We didn’t dine in any of the hotel’s restaurants since there are so many great restaurants in Bangkok. We have however dined before at Sirocco but the quality and price just do not match. We went for drinks to the Sky Bar but it is always so packed that it is just not enjoyable (the views are amazing though and I would recommend it as a one time experience). We stayed 5 nights in Lebua but didn’t have time to use the swimming pool because there is always so much to do in Bangkok. It seemed popular though.

For the service provided I have mixed feelings. The check in personnel was very professional and service minded but in the restaurants (breakfast and Breeze, when using the club lounge) the service seemed too phoney. They always had the same tune and lines, no personal touch there. Room service and concierge were very polite.

We have stayed in various hotels in Bangkok (riverside, Siam, central Silom, Sathorn road) and I have to say, we did like the location. Everything is close (shops, the river, spas, skytrain). You can also find local “restaurants” nearby. We used the limousine service to the airport. It always feels luxurious but it didn’t provide as good service as e.g. Peninsula (Peninsula limousine service had personnel waiting at the airport, checked us in and took care of our luggage).

What needs improvement? The whole Tower Club concept is very weak. This was the worst club experience I have ever had. Free minibar was a joke, few bottles of Coke and Singha. I could buy those for a few baht from the 7/11. They never filled the minibar and you always had to ask for more. Club lounge was almost always empty and open only till 6pm. We usually arrive to the hotel around 6pm after day’s sightseeing and shopping and that is the time when you want to sit down and have a snack. I understand that they open the Breeze restaurant and therefore need to “get rid of” the club customers but if you develop a club concept, you need to think a bit further. As a business person I would never even consider the Tower Club since the lounge closes when I arrive to the hotel from work. The snacks they provided in the Club lounge were ok, but I would have preferred to have a bit wider selection of drinks (e.g. wines) instead of just beer.

The other annoying thing with the club concept was the elevators. The people who come to dine/have drinks to the hotel (Sirocco mostly) use the same elevators, so you can just imagine how convenient this is to the club guests (normal rooms have separate elevators). The elevators were always fully packed and if you were trying to get e.g. from the M floor to your own floor around 6PM it was almost impossible. There was supposed to be an elevator for hotel guests only but it just didn’t work (the elevator was always full of guests going to the Sirocco).

I could choose this hotel again but would definitely stay away from the club room and just enjoy the normal rooms. Lebua didn’t win the position as my favorite Bangkok hotel though. If you get a good rate, this hotel is very good value for money. If you have not planned to take the club room you can ignore half of my review and just enjoy this great hotel but if you normally like to stay in club rooms, you might want to reconsider.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (7,501)

Reviewed 22 March 2010

Having read some of the reviews here I didn't know quite what to expect from the Lebua but in out experience certainly lived up to our expectations.

We found the check in process very relaxed, we sat for 10 minutes having a drink while the front desk staff did their bit and then we were shown to our suite.

The suite itself was well furnished and in a excellent condition. We were asked to sign a disclaimer before we were given access to the balcony (I had no problem with this). The bed was extremely comfortable and the room had all the things you would expect. We had a fantastic view from our balcony across the city and over the river.

During our stay we were impressed at how little noise there was from the other rooms we didn't hear a thing during our stay. There was no noise from the street either, probably due to the fact we were 52 floors up.

I found all the staff were extremely helpful and offered an excellent level of service. As has been commented by many on here the breakfasts were amazing it really was extremely difficult to choose from the huge variety on offer.

We didn't eat in the hotel but did have a few drinks in the Café Mozu as well as the Sky Bar. I was annoyed that I didn't take my camera to the Sky Bar, I was led to believe that photo taking was not allowed (after reading comments on here) tut I seemed to be the only one not taking pictures and the staff didn't bat an eye lid.

We had no issues with the situation of the hotel either, It was a short stroll to Silom road and a short taxi/tuk-tuk ride to any of anywhere we wanted to go. We preferred it to Sukhumvite where we stayed last time we were in Bangkok.

In all we really enjoyed our stay here there were a couple of things that could be better, we found we had to wait for lifts quite often and the Mall in the State Tower being almost empty is a shame but apart from that our stay was excellent and given what we payed $119 per night it was outstanding value.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We stayed at Lebua State Tower for the last three days of our 2 week Thai honeymoon. After our perfect stay at Sareeraya Villas on Koh Samui, I have to say I was not looking forward to going to the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. The sensational service at Lebua soon put my concerns to rest.

Our welcome was super professional & friendly, as was every other interaction with the staff who on the whole spoke very good english. The buffet breakfast is ridiculously diverse & has everything you could possibly imagine... i do mean everything! Even lunch & dinner style foods.

My wife tells me the Spa facility was great and I was reasonably impressed with the gym facilities (as far as hotels go it was good).

If you stay here you have to have dinner on the roof top restaurant 'Sirocco'. We did and we absolutely loved it. Sure it was expensive, but what do you expect? Its 5 star, the food is sensational, and its one of the most unique restaurants in the world that includes Bangkok's best sightseeing & live music for entertainment. If you want cheap and nasty then this isnt for you. We will remember our dinner forever & finished it off with a tasty cocktail at the adjoining Sky Bar.

We had room service at crazy hours of the day & night and the food was always brilliant!

Overall - it's was a great stay. The service, the food & facilities are spot on.

Reviewed 21 March 2010

The service at Lebua was outstanding. Check in was effortless and the staff were so amazing ALL throughout stay.... From the dinner at sirocco and drinks at distil to the waiters at breakfast.

The breakfast is very cool, there are several areas: by the pool, by the main food station (by the way instead of toasters they have a brick-like oven fire "stove" where someone fire-toasts your bread for you), and in the A/C towards the back. Each day I sat by the pool, as I found it to be the most relaxing. There is thai, chinese, indian, and Western food. The ambiance was 5 stars, the food was 3-4 stars. The breakfast staff were awesome.

The room was clean- slightly too business like but who cares. You MUST have drinks at distil and the sky bar, located on the 64th floor. It has the BEST views in Bangkok.

I came here twice before this and my stay was just average. However, the lebua has revamped itself.. the service is OUTSTANDING (even for Thailand standards)!

Reviewed 14 March 2010

This hotel was so reasonable in price that I was wary about what I would encounter. To my surprise I discovered a white glove hotel with a large, well-appointed, clean lovely suite with balcony, living room, large king-sized bedroom (with desk and free Internet access), huge bathroom with large marble walk-in shower and separate bath/shower, a mini-kitchen with a mini-bar, safe, coffee maker and pot for boiling water and plenty of tea/coffee and night-time turn-down service. Included in the price were access to a large, luxurious pool and outdoor lounging area and a marvelous, multi-national buffet breakfast. Service was more than excellent with a helpful concierge staff, pool staff, doormen, people to find taxis, etc.

The spa was lovely; despite the fact that one can get more reasonably-priced massages outside Bangkok hotels, we decided to treat ourselves and had what were the best massages ever for the equivalent of approximately $90 each for 1 1/2 hours of what the Thais refer to as an "oil massage" (and what I would define as a combination Shiatzu/Swedish massage).

We had a balcony room on a high floor and did hear a slight traffic buzz. If you are super-sensitive you might see if you can get a room away from traffic.

My only recommendation is to avoid the restaurants for lunch/dinner unless you want to spend big bucks. We had lunch at Mozu, the same restaurant where the complementary breakfast was served, and although good, I did not think it worth the $100 we paid for two. You can do much better outside the hotel.

The surrounding area is not elegant but appears safe with lots of shopping, restaurants, and places to get massages (Silom).

Enjoy.

Reviewed 14 March 2010

Stayed for 3 nights 25th Feb- 1st Mar then returned 2 days later for another night. Very efficient check in, stayed in a standard suite but had a lovely view of the river and it was perfect for us. The concierge were extremely helpful with a map and information. We used the shuttle bus to the boat pier/ skytrain twice which was a relief in the heat, although walkable distance. Very easy to get around Bangkok from the hotel to all the sites. The hotel acknowledged my birthday with a cake left in our room which was a very kind touch. Staff were all extremely polite, not over the top in any way. Breakfast was great with plenty of choice. We ate out every night so can't comment on restaurants in the hotel, although went to one recommended in the brochure in our room which was superb, Naj restaurant on Convent Road...a short tuk tuk ride.
Received an upgraded room on our return to hotel, which again was a nice gesture.
Thank you Lebua for great memories of Bangkok.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I staid "one night in Bangkok" on a weekend trip with a colleague. I had received a recommendation on this hotel by another colleague and reserved a rate at the hotel which turned out not to be the cheapest available. So the great service experience started: We arrived at 8am and were allowed an early check-in (very nice). Also, as my colleague had reserved a cheaper rate, I asked the staff if I could get that cheaper rate as well and I could - very nice. Due to our early check-in, there was some confusion about the rooms available and since it took about 30 minutes to find out what was going on, we received an upgrade to the club rooms on the 57th floor! The club room included the minibar and access to a lounge with snacks, etc. So summarizing the check-in, we received the best non-suite room for the cheapest available price, with an early check-in and free minibar access. As the hotel wanted to apologies for the "inconvenience" that we couldn't have our early check-in right away, we even received vouchers for two complimentary drinks at the sky bar.

The hotel is conveniently located in Bangkok, close to the river and a skytrain station. It takes about 45 minutes from the airport (with no heavy traffic). It is integrated into the State Tower and covers about half the floors of this 65 story building. It has a restaurant / bar / breakfast area on the 12th floor, inculding a very nice pool and a modern gym. One of the major attractions though is clearly the sky bar where we redeemed our free vouchers and enjoyed the view over Bangkok at night. That was a truely amazing experience.

The room was very spacious with a state-of-the art plasma TV (even though I think that "regular" rooms do not have one) and a super comfortable bed. You also have your own balcony where you can enjoy a spectacular view over Bangkok (even though you have to be prepared for smoggy skies).

Breakfast was amazing as well. It was included in the rate and should rather be described as Brunch as besides the "normal" all-breakfast ingredients (e.g., freshly prepared omlettes), it also had a variety of Asian and Western full meals, including Sushi, vegetables, Teriyaki Salmon and French Fries.

The final experience was the check out. Since we only staid for one night and were not leaving before the evening, they offered us (without being asked) to use their facilities later in the afternoon, also for a shower and even the pool.

For sure, the next time I will be in Bangkok, I will stay at this hotel and I recommend everybody to do the same! First time I have given a five point rating on every single category!

• Stayed: March 2010