“Good hotel but tower club disappointing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of lebua at State Tower

lebua at State Tower
Ranked #87 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good hotel but tower club disappointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2010

We just spent 2 nights at Lebua. This was not our first time to Bangkok but first time in this hotel. It is well positioned for the Chao Praya river, Silom Road, Suan Lum night market and many other sights.

Our room, on the 57th floor, was a river view with balcony. The views are stunning, especially at night. The room - a suite to be accurate - was comfortable without being luxurious. The bed was large and nicely firm with a soft topper. A large screen LCD TV was also in the bedroom with access to films and music etc as well as several satellite channels of all languages. Free WiFi was also available throughout.

The bathroom was a good size with a bath and large, separate shower, Bulgari toiletries and extras such as a hair brush and loofah. The lounge (this was a suite after all) had a small sofa. 2 chairs and a small table but that was it - no TV, no music and no window. In the end we just stored our luggage there as it wasn't actually a great space to occupy, it might have been different if we were there on business and had work to do in an evening. There was also a very small kitchenette, with a hob and microwave........

The room had a complimentary mini bar as we had paid the tower club supplement. This consisted of 2 Singha, 2 Asahi and 2 Heineken beers; 2 coke, 2 7up and 2 Iced tea. Nice but it wasn't refilled! There was also access to the club lounge on the 52nd floor, however this closes at 1800 and on the one occasion we tried to use it we were turned away as I only had sandals (or trainers) to wear on my feet - neither of which are allowed in the hotel public spaces other than the Mozu restaurant.

The staff were all very pleasant and were always very happy to oblige with any reasonable requests. Our departure flight was late in the evening and they were very happy for people to use the fitness centre showers etc to freshen up before leaving which was great.

We had an enjoyable stay at a reasonable price for a luxury city centre hotel. If we could get a similar deal in future I'd stay there again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (997)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Poole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2010

We were very impressed with the Lebua. We have stayed in many Hotels in Bangkok and decided to try the Lebua this year.
We were greeted in a most friendly manner and throughout the staff were very friendly and effiicient.
We were on the 55th floor and the views were magnificent over the river and Bangkok. The room was in fact a suite with a most spacious living room and bedroom. The bathroom was large and clean. There was also a small kitchen area which we found useful.
It could do with a TV in the lounge though.
The balcony outside gave some outside air and enhanced the views.
The Hotel has a tremendous couple of restaurants and an outside bar at the top. The locations of which are dramatic. Cocktail prices were high but worth it. The restaurants have good menus and offer a reasonable meal unless you want wine with your meal, which wired me out on cost for even the cheapest bottle.
The only problem with the upstairs restaurants and bars is that the clients share the elevators with the residents, which puts unnecessary pressure on trying to get to one's room.
The buffet breakfast was one of the best around and the swimming pool and gym were excellent for a City Hotel.
Wifi included was a definite bonus. All in all we had a most pleasant stay and felt very welcome. We will certainly consider it again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Paradise Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2010

We stayed here becuase the reviews were very positive. I felt it was a GREAT value, and a very good hotel. We arrived at 6:00am because our flight arrived early. They didn't have our room ready, but they offered us an upgrade to a club floor for $60 more a night. I think club floors are largely a rip off, but this one wasn't bad and probably could even be considered very nice. I didn't see the standard rooms, but the rooms here were very nice. Almost on par with the Trump Las Vegas or the Bellagio. Our room rate included breakfast. I figured, great, a free junk breakfast - I WAS SO WRONG. The breakfast buffet is like a $40 per person buffet in the US. Omlettes, fresh juices, 30 types of bread and muffins, and lots of choices. Very good quality. They get about $20 for the buffett if you have to pay for it -- worth it, but who can eat a buffet 5 days in a row. But, really good.

The club floor also had a club to go along with it on the 52nd floor. They had the most amazing afternoon spread out there. Drinks, candy, stir fry, sandwiches, bread and the like. This was better than a 4 star hotel buffet, and probably just short of the best food you are going to eat. If you have a few kids in tow, you will more than eat back your $60. There were just two of us, but it felt pretty good sitting up there like a king seeing the world.

We also ate in their Mezzaluna restaurant on the top of the highest floor of the hotel. This is a Michelin rated restaurant and they have it priced like it is in Rome. Great food, but like $12 for a little bowl of soup, $14 for snack size filled pasta, $14 for dessert, and WATCH OUT, Ice Tea is like $12 per GLASS. I'm not sure that I begrudge them their $125 I paid for a snack, it would be cheap in New York City or Los Angeles, but probably about right for Vegas. It was pretty good, but you clearly aren't getting value for money here.

Other than that, their pool is on the small side. The hotel is built above a closed down 1970 shopping center that failed. There is nothing you really can walk to unless you want to risk your life to go to the Mandarin (spend the $3.00 and get a taxi - taxi's are absurdly cheap in Bangkok, although the drivers can't speak english or read english so you almost want to get a taxi at a hotel and have the hotel draw the driver a map - We had the driver get lost and take a very long time on about 50% of our trips -- still though even if they rip you, the rates are very cheap).

I felt very good about this hote becuase I felt the value was good. We paid about $140 a night on the club level with breakfast. A home run. At $250, I would probably spend the $100 or so more and stay at the Mandarin or perhaps the Peninusla to be on the river. Do recognize though that you are pretty much going to take a cab everywhere out of the hotel -- but they are cheap, so not much of an issue.

Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

For the price we paid (less than 100 euros per room per night including breakfast), this was an excellent value for money. It doesn’t compete with Peninsula but it might be my choice also next time if I don’t want to spend over 100€ for a hotel per night. We took an upgrade to Tower Club on arrival (and paid 35euros per night for that). Big mistake, wasn’t worth it. Without the upgrade I probably would have given Lebua 5 stars since I really liked the hotel but if I pay for something and do not get any value, I feel cheated. Let’s start with the positive points in this hotel.

The rooms are big and offer fabulous views over Bangkok. We stayed on the 54th floor. The bed was comfortable and bathrooms spacious with a separate shower and bathtub. Big plus for Bulgari amenities and amenities in general (hair brush and a loofah included). A woman always appreciates such things. We had chocolates in our room on arrival and water bottles were provided daily. Free internet was included to the price.

Check in went smoothly and the lady who checked us in was very professional and polite. The hotel breakfast was excellent. Plenty to choose from and good quality food. We didn’t dine in any of the hotel’s restaurants since there are so many great restaurants in Bangkok. We have however dined before at Sirocco but the quality and price just do not match. We went for drinks to the Sky Bar but it is always so packed that it is just not enjoyable (the views are amazing though and I would recommend it as a one time experience). We stayed 5 nights in Lebua but didn’t have time to use the swimming pool because there is always so much to do in Bangkok. It seemed popular though.

For the service provided I have mixed feelings. The check in personnel was very professional and service minded but in the restaurants (breakfast and Breeze, when using the club lounge) the service seemed too phoney. They always had the same tune and lines, no personal touch there. Room service and concierge were very polite.

We have stayed in various hotels in Bangkok (riverside, Siam, central Silom, Sathorn road) and I have to say, we did like the location. Everything is close (shops, the river, spas, skytrain). You can also find local “restaurants” nearby. We used the limousine service to the airport. It always feels luxurious but it didn’t provide as good service as e.g. Peninsula (Peninsula limousine service had personnel waiting at the airport, checked us in and took care of our luggage).

What needs improvement? The whole Tower Club concept is very weak. This was the worst club experience I have ever had. Free minibar was a joke, few bottles of Coke and Singha. I could buy those for a few baht from the 7/11. They never filled the minibar and you always had to ask for more. Club lounge was almost always empty and open only till 6pm. We usually arrive to the hotel around 6pm after day’s sightseeing and shopping and that is the time when you want to sit down and have a snack. I understand that they open the Breeze restaurant and therefore need to “get rid of” the club customers but if you develop a club concept, you need to think a bit further. As a business person I would never even consider the Tower Club since the lounge closes when I arrive to the hotel from work. The snacks they provided in the Club lounge were ok, but I would have preferred to have a bit wider selection of drinks (e.g. wines) instead of just beer.

The other annoying thing with the club concept was the elevators. The people who come to dine/have drinks to the hotel (Sirocco mostly) use the same elevators, so you can just imagine how convenient this is to the club guests (normal rooms have separate elevators). The elevators were always fully packed and if you were trying to get e.g. from the M floor to your own floor around 6PM it was almost impossible. There was supposed to be an elevator for hotel guests only but it just didn’t work (the elevator was always full of guests going to the Sirocco).

I could choose this hotel again but would definitely stay away from the club room and just enjoy the normal rooms. Lebua didn’t win the position as my favorite Bangkok hotel though. If you get a good rate, this hotel is very good value for money. If you have not planned to take the club room you can ignore half of my review and just enjoy this great hotel but if you normally like to stay in club rooms, you might want to reconsider.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

Having read some of the reviews here I didn't know quite what to expect from the Lebua but in out experience certainly lived up to our expectations.

We found the check in process very relaxed, we sat for 10 minutes having a drink while the front desk staff did their bit and then we were shown to our suite.

The suite itself was well furnished and in a excellent condition. We were asked to sign a disclaimer before we were given access to the balcony (I had no problem with this). The bed was extremely comfortable and the room had all the things you would expect. We had a fantastic view from our balcony across the city and over the river.

During our stay we were impressed at how little noise there was from the other rooms we didn't hear a thing during our stay. There was no noise from the street either, probably due to the fact we were 52 floors up.

I found all the staff were extremely helpful and offered an excellent level of service. As has been commented by many on here the breakfasts were amazing it really was extremely difficult to choose from the huge variety on offer.

We didn't eat in the hotel but did have a few drinks in the Café Mozu as well as the Sky Bar. I was annoyed that I didn't take my camera to the Sky Bar, I was led to believe that photo taking was not allowed (after reading comments on here) tut I seemed to be the only one not taking pictures and the staff didn't bat an eye lid.

We had no issues with the situation of the hotel either, It was a short stroll to Silom road and a short taxi/tuk-tuk ride to any of anywhere we wanted to go. We preferred it to Sukhumvite where we stayed last time we were in Bangkok.

In all we really enjoyed our stay here there were a couple of things that could be better, we found we had to wait for lifts quite often and the Mall in the State Tower being almost empty is a shame but apart from that our stay was excellent and given what we payed $119 per night it was outstanding value.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

We stayed at Lebua State Tower for the last three days of our 2 week Thai honeymoon. After our perfect stay at Sareeraya Villas on Koh Samui, I have to say I was not looking forward to going to the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. The sensational service at Lebua soon put my concerns to rest.

Our welcome was super professional & friendly, as was every other interaction with the staff who on the whole spoke very good english. The buffet breakfast is ridiculously diverse & has everything you could possibly imagine... i do mean everything! Even lunch & dinner style foods.

My wife tells me the Spa facility was great and I was reasonably impressed with the gym facilities (as far as hotels go it was good).

If you stay here you have to have dinner on the roof top restaurant 'Sirocco'. We did and we absolutely loved it. Sure it was expensive, but what do you expect? Its 5 star, the food is sensational, and its one of the most unique restaurants in the world that includes Bangkok's best sightseeing & live music for entertainment. If you want cheap and nasty then this isnt for you. We will remember our dinner forever & finished it off with a tasty cocktail at the adjoining Sky Bar.

We had room service at crazy hours of the day & night and the food was always brilliant!

Overall - it's was a great stay. The service, the food & facilities are spot on.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

The service at Lebua was outstanding. Check in was effortless and the staff were so amazing ALL throughout stay.... From the dinner at sirocco and drinks at distil to the waiters at breakfast.

The breakfast is very cool, there are several areas: by the pool, by the main food station (by the way instead of toasters they have a brick-like oven fire "stove" where someone fire-toasts your bread for you), and in the A/C towards the back. Each day I sat by the pool, as I found it to be the most relaxing. There is thai, chinese, indian, and Western food. The ambiance was 5 stars, the food was 3-4 stars. The breakfast staff were awesome.

The room was clean- slightly too business like but who cares. You MUST have drinks at distil and the sky bar, located on the 64th floor. It has the BEST views in Bangkok.

I came here twice before this and my stay was just average. However, the lebua has revamped itself.. the service is OUTSTANDING (even for Thailand standards)!