“Large rooms, great location”
Review of BelAire Bangkok

BelAire Bangkok
Ranked #154 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Hawke's Bay, NZ
“Large rooms, great location”
Reviewed 23 July 2008

I really enjoyed my stay at the bel aire - it's a small hotel with only about 10-12 rooms on each floor, which meant it was nice and quiet (I need my sleep!!)

I found their room categories a little confusing - on a lot of internet sites for the Bel aire Princess their rooms are listed as: Superior, Deluxe, Junior suite & club tribeca. I booked the Deluxe so we could have internet but when we arrived we were informed internet is in the 'deluxe plus' rooms - it turns out they actually have the following rooms: Superior, Superior Plus, Deluxe, Deluxe Plus, Junior Suite & Club Tribeca. Not a big issue - I've learnt for next time!

The rooms are HUGE and have a funky design, however the bathroom was in need of some major attention (see pic's). It was the worst bathroom I have ever encountered on my travels. I do think they are re-doing them? I hope so anyway!

The lifts were a bit of a problem - there were 2, they were so small and 1 seemed to break down alot!! We were offered a room on the 17th floor but I declined after experiencing the wait up there.

The pool was great relax by - lot's of people have said its small, I don't really know what they are comparing it to, the pools in Phuket maybe? For Bangkok standards this pool was great! The pool side service was a little slow, but I was willing to wait for my burger and pino colada's - YUM!

I found the location fabulous, just down the road from the sky train. Which took me straight to Chutuchuk market or in the other direction to the river, then you can catch a boat to china town. I noticed while I was there that they are busily extenting the sky train, which will be great! The street the hotel is located on is good, it has a great pub, two 7/11's (one is right across the road from the hotel) and a supermarket. Also hairdressers and massages (my mother had a couple of massages and her hair cut and dyed - she would recommend!)

Didn't eat at the restaurant and didn't use the Gym (I got enough exercise shopping!

• Liked — The large room and pool
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank I_H8_Flyin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Frankfurt
Reviewed 15 July 2008

I staid in this hotel for 10 days so I got a very good ideas about the extra "facilities" this hotel has. The "Gym" is basically the hallway between the lift and the pool area. It consists of 3 (three) rundown, partially non-operating devices. Dumbells or barbells are non existent as is air conditioning. Best part is they close the "Gym" at 8pm. The pool area is a sad concrete place with no drinks service etc.
The guest rooms are o.k. for the price but really nothing special. The ceiling height is pretty low. The bathrooms are new but they are small and there is no extra shower.
Service at this hotel is very good nevertheless.

Overall it is more a 3 star hotel rather than a 4 star.

Room prices at this hotel should not exceed 50 dollars per day.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 13 July 2008

Stayed for 3 days in June. Great rooms - they were spacious, comfortable with good air conditioning. I found all staff really helpful, check in was smooth. Had dinner in their small restaurant twice and it was excellent on both occassions. It was more expensive than eating outside but the quality of ingredients more than made up for it. Hotel has two lifts but when I was there only one worked, our room was on the 17th floor so it meant we had quite a wait for a lift but it did not detract from the overall quality and comfort of hotel.

Only negative for me was the location - it's right at the end of Soi 5. This was a particular issue for us because on one evening it had rained for about an hour at 5pm. When we went to leave the hotel at 6pm, the whole street was flooded and impassible. Water was knee height, you couldn't walk through it because 1. the water was flithy, 2. you couldn't see the many hazards on the pavements etc. Also at night the atmosphere on this road changes and becomes a little seedier as the bars in the street catered mostly for male tourists.

I also want to mention the travel agent desk in the hotel, I found them very useful. I used them 3 times - for a tailored made sightseeing trip, for booking caberet tickets and to collect a friend from the airport. Their prices were reasonable, drivers spoke good english and cars were of a good standard.

• Liked — Size of room and beds - we had two king size beds
  • Stayed June 2008
1 Thank Shaboom
England
Reviewed 11 July 2008

Nice room and very clean. Great swimming pool and relally central location.

There were a couple of strange incidents though. It took about forty minutes to check in which wasn't great after a long flight. We kept being told that the room was being checked to make sure it was clean, etc. When we finally got into the room there weren't any towels. Phoned reception and told that they would be brought up straight away. Waited fifteen minutes and went to find some towels. Was told by the cleaner that they were all being dryed! I then had to unpack my beach towels in order to take a showed. The towels finally turned up but still wasn't great.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happyfriday
Cardiff, South Wales
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Just got back from a tour of Thailand, first port of call Bangkok (3 nights)

The Belaire Princess is very central for everything with plenty of shops, bars, restuarants, foodstalls within walking distance. The skytrain (Nana) is only 5 mins walk (very cheap, fast with a/c).

The hotel is clean, rooms large and staff very helpful. We did not eat at the hotel as there are plenty of foodstall and restaurants close by. We would certainly come back.

Bangkok is a shopper's paradise everything is so cheap but still baragain as it is expected.

We booked at tour with Tong (highly recommended) and viisted the railway market, floating market, handicraft centre, Grand Palace and Temple of the Reclining Budha (all well worth seeing).

A drink at Cheap Charlie's (a beach bar in the centre of Bangkok and safe for women) is a must. There is a stall opposite which sells the best chicken kebabs I have ever tasted for only 40 baht.

3 nights is not long enough in Bangkok and we are already planning our next holiday.

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GailMS
Bristol, England
Reviewed 25 June 2008

We stayed here for the first 2 nights and the last night of our month long trip to Thailand and have to say I was pretty impressed. The three nights were included in the flights with Thai Air that we booked though Trailfinders. We werent expecting 5 star, nor did we really want it. This was meant to be our base for a couple of days of sightseeing in Bangkok, and a bed for the night before our flight home.

The location is good on Sukhumvit Soi 5, very close to a pretty cool backpackers bar. It is quite a trek to the Patpong Night Market area and the Palace and temples, as well as Khao San road, but anybody who has been to Bangkok will know it is a pretty spread out place and you cant be close to everything.

Anyway, the rooms were clean and large, it had a pool which was pleasant to relax in for half an hour at the end of a hot day out. The bar in reception was nice, reception staff were helpful and booked our train tickets for thenext leg of our journey up to Chiang Mai for us.

This place is no 5 star and won't win any awards, but for anyone looking for a cheap stopover in Bangkok but wanting a bit better than the backpackers hostels on Khao San road then I would recommend this place.

• Liked — Nothing bad to report but nothing stood out as amazing. That pretty much says it all
  • Disliked — Nothing really to gripe about
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rob_n_deb_worldwide
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I was very happy with our stay in this hotel. We got there at 7am after a long flight from Europe expecting to be told we'd have to wait for our room. Instead, we were greeted with big smiles, given a free drink (juice) and asked to sit in the lounge while they processed our check in. We were in the room unpacking less than 20 mins later. The room was a good size, very clean, and well laid out. The hotel is not new so it does seem slightly worn in places but nothing that would turn you off. The location is great - a 5 min walk from the Nana Skytrain station. The breakfast is a bit expensive for a standard hotel buffet but the dinner is good value and good quality.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Exspensive breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple