“An exceptional Hotel”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This is a truly great hotel. We spent 5 days here and at no time were we disappointed. The foyer, our room, drinks in the Bamboo Bar, breakfast on the Terrace and the ambience were all exceptional. We had a buffet lunch at their restaurant across the river. A seamless transfer and 5 minutes later we were seated at our table. The food was delicious.

The staff want you to enjoy you stay and are efficient without being intrusive.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 February 2012

The title says it all. The hotel is beautiful. The service is excellent. I sat in the lobby and ordered a drink. The beautiful tiny Asian girl dressed in a Thai silk dress, kneeled at my feet to serve the drink. The rooms are a good size, elegant and clean.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Everything about Mandarin Oriental is just perfect! I don't know how they do it, but it actually is! From food (try Lord Jim's) to room to its hospitality offered by staff ... it's just perfect.

I think this is one of the things you can't just listen and see the picture. Go and get the experience yourself and you'll understand. It doesn't come cheap, but worth every cent!

Room Tip: Choose the river view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fon_tisayakorn
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok has maintained an outstanding reputation for years, and based upon that reputation was the reason for our stay. From the BMW car service from the airport to our daily responses for room service- our experiences were outstanding. There was nothing requested which wasn't produced- (within minutes and always with a genuine smile!) Every single staff and administrative person at the Mandarin was attentive, and always helpful and welcoming. The gym, pool and spa facilities are beautiful. The food extraordinary in all of the dining rooms. The cooking classes are a must do for even the most novice of cooks. I cannot wait to bring my family to the Mandarin Oriental, although hopefully by then internet access will be free!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank thetinasmiths

I am not sure what more I can say - Perfection

The rooms, the restaurant, the food, the views, the service - Perfection

Love the local fruit in the rooms each day.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 February 2012

....That is all that needs to be said and I am a seasoned traveller!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2012

The Mandarin Oriental Bangkok has to be one of Asia's finest hotels....anywhere. Not just location, decor, service....but the place simply oozes charm, culture and refinement. Even though its been owned by MO for donkeys, its still The Oriental to me, and always will be.

Well these days I have to watch the purse strings a bit more so I can't afford to actually stay at The Oriental, but still a weekend in Bangkok would be incomplete without even a visit. And one of the best options is dinner at the Riverside Terrace.

Years ago, the Terrace was of course riverside, but the river walls were so high that you could not actually see the Chao Praya, although you could hear the unsilenced four stroke engines of all the river traffic loud and clear thats for sure. Magically now, MO have lowered the walls so that all diners have a wonderful riverside view. It must have cost a few bob, and also caused them a few worries in last year's floods, but if any investment was ever going to wash its face, its this one.

Service was impeccable, although when I insisted on an actual riverside table, the waitress became momentarily unhelpful and officious. But MO training came through and all was arranged, with faultless smiles and grace. As we left later, we spotted that our original table was directly in front of the band. Obviously the band was not the Foo Fighters, and were actually strumming out very mellow tunes, but band-front had not been our objective of the evening, so I felt justified in digging my heels in earlier, even as my fellow diners looked excruciatingly on.

The buffet dinner is western, but its top class. The full monty. We partook somewhat sparingly, but luxuriated in the quality of the starters, mains, and desserts. I can't summarize what's on offer, but I don't think anybody could possibly be disappointed (unless of course they wanted a green curry) and its all presented in MO pomp & finery.

Overall a marvellous dinner for five of us, with a bottle of red and a couple of glasses of white, it came to about THB 3500 each = USD 110. Agreed its not cheap, especially for Bangkok - but in my opinion excellent good value, and without hesitation I will take my family, friends and clients back on any occasion.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family