“It's hard to be the best hotel in the world, the oriental is not!”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Jakarta, Indonesia
“It's hard to be the best hotel in the world, the oriental is not!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Let's get something straight from the start. This is a beautiful property, very well looked after and has first class views of the river. The rooms are impeccable and the old wing is a treat to the senses.
However the "best hotel in the world" sadly not! I really wanted it to be...I love the city and it would be nice to actually have something come up to your expectations. So what let's the Oriental down? The service is average by world standards and actually poor by south east Asian hotel standards. No one calls you by your name, that privilege is meant for the very rich locals or the celebrities. The normal paying customers get a very impersonal welcome to the hotel. The managers went past me a number of times while I waited for someone to sit me down or serve me in the lobby. I guess the fact that I was dressed to explore the city and not in my Sunday best might have caused them to overlook me...more than once! The butlers on the other hand are excellent! It's a little disconcerting how the staff can be more charming than the higher paid managers...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Ajay B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sammo50
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

The service here was top notch. The elevator man knew my name from my first elevator ride to the last. The butler made amazing things happen and noticed our likes/dislikes. The spa was very good and they upgraded our services for free. The drinks were very good to great. The food was good to average at the buffet to VERY bland at the Terrace Restaurant. The rooms are growing tired and dated. The carpet was stained and the color scheme is the brown and blue thing that was all over in Y2K. We paid for a big upgraded room with a patio that is advertised as overlooking the water, well, it is if you crane out of the balcony, it is more accurately overlooking the car park. No drinks on the patio as I fancied in my mind.
We had a very poor experience with a female concierge, she was distracted and kept walking away and she sent us to a restaurant that could accommodate multiple tour buses at any given moment, we walked out. We had much better experience with a more senior Concierge.
There is a dress code of no shorts in the lobby after 6 pm but I love that, it keeps things special.
Great location and very handy boat service. Wish it took you to Peninsula.
Beautiful BMWs for airport transfer.

1 Thank Sammo50
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

I have recently stayed 3 nights at the MO and my stay could not be better.
I'm one of those frequent five star hotel customer always harder to satisfy but the MO has really been in line with my expectaction.
My room (a classic) was located at the 7th floor and was definitely ok: large, big marble bathroom with separate huge shower and bathtub, big bedroom, extremely clean. Soundproofing definitely ok, I couldn't hear a voice during my whole stay.
But the best things have been: 1) the amazing scents in every area of the hotel, from the lobby (full of flowers) to the room corridors. 2) the service. Everyone really go out of their way to assist you, from portier to the receptionist, from the waiters to your butler. The number of the employees appears to be very high, so there is always someone ready to assist you in every area of the hotel. Breakfast definitely ok, everyday they leave you fresh fruit and many bottles of water into you room. On our last day, we left the baggage after the check out at the reception for a final walk (since our flight was late in the eveving) but we were surprised by a monsoon rain. We came back to the hotel completely wet, I asked the reception for a changing room and, in 2 minutes, they put at our disposal another classic room at no extra charge for a short shower. Really a 5 star service. There are also some other little gems I discovererd during my stay (ex.: a jogging track close to the spa) and I'm sure that anyone that can stay at this hotel will find himself in the same situation.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank doledes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

We have travelled the world and stayed at many 5 star hotels. This was among the best. The service is the best I have had at any hotel. The rooms are spacious, bright and well appointed. Closet space was great. The breakfast buffet was among the best I have had. Spa and gym were great. Very friendly staff. You feel secluded from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok here.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dan R
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

Right on the river with a breakfast buffet that is fantastic, This is a great place to start or end a trip toThailand. All rooms have river views up or down the river and the opportunity to watch river traffic is great. They offer thier own ferry service up, down and across the river and have a wonderful, classic lobby for tea and people watching. Rooms are generous, baths are excellent and the "butler" service is fantastic. Fresh fruit every day, very comfy beds and great pillows, good desk space.
Only drawback is difficulty getting to business center if a function is going on and limited English on part of many staff. But a wonderful, historic hotel with modern services.

Room Tip: ask for higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank reviewerabc
New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

We stayed in the Bangkok Mandarin in August 2012. Here are some factual observations:

1. I forget what category of room I originally booked, but it was about the middle of the road. The original room we were given was in the Garden Wing. For some reason, the room just felt grungy, and not anything like a MO room. The bathroom was teeny tiny, and my head was about 2 inches from the ceiling in the shower/tub, which you almost needed a step ladder to get in. I think someone else on TripAdvisor said it correctly when they said the room felt like something their grandmother decorated. After the first day we asked to move to the River Wing to a suite, and the accommodated us. The new room was very nice, but still not like other MO rooms in places like Tokyo or Singapore. The new suite had a few large couches and a balcony.

2. As you would expect, the service is phenomenal. The airport pickup in a limo went smoothly, and everything else was perfect. Our butler was there on several occasions to take care of whatever we needed.

3. I only have two semi-complaints. First, after 6:30, there is a no-shorts policy in the lobby. I get that the hotel is trying to be on the high end, but they gave me a hard time when I was merely walking through the lobby in shorts to return to my room. I've stayed in a LOT of ultra-high end hotels, and this MO is by far the "stuffiest." Second, like some other Euro/Asian hotels, they have an actual key that is on a giant key ring that you turn in whenever you leave the hotel. PLEASE just go to a keycard system so I don't have to continuously stop by the front desk every time I go in and out.

4. The ferry to the Skytrain and the spa works smoothly. I don't think we waited more than five minutes for either one. Though, it is a little bit annoying that the fitness center is across the river too. The fitness center is fairly good with a lot of equipment.

5. The location of the hotel is good and bad. It's a few minutes to the skytrain via the ferry, but other than that, there's not too much near it. We ate in the Bangrak area a few nights, and went for drinks at Lebua, but other than that, I felt that we always had to take the skytrain or a taxi anywhere we went.

1 Thank tacostuff
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

We had a wonderful time in Mandarin Oriental Bangkok to celebrate my wife birthday. She was surprised by chocolates, flower from housekeeper, and the delicious chocolate birthday cake.

The hotel is the top class with excellent service and every staffs were so attentive.

We will come back next year for our anniversay.