Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Peninsula Bangkok(Bangkok)
US$163
US$143
US$111
4,589 results
All reviewsbamboo baracross the riverfloor butlerauthor's loungechina housesala rim naamlord jimbest hotels in the worldgrand dameriverside terracegarden wingthai restaurantbutler serviceview of the riverchao phraya riverhotel boatpool staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 March 2008

The place is heavenly. Better, actually. If people in heaven could die, they'd probably go to the Oriental Bangkok. If they could find it. And afford it. And survive the trip.

The service, the grounds, the food, the view, the pool, the spa and (it's worth repeating) the service were the best I've ever experienced.

In fact, I'm a little disappointed I stayed here now in my 30's, because I don't think I'll find a better hotel in my lifetime. That's a lot of years to look for second best.

My only complaint is that the grime and squalor of Bangkok begin exactly one meter from the property. I needed something from the department store 3 blocks away, and I felt like I was stepping onto another planet.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Phingers
Reviewed 27 February 2008

What can be said about the Oriental that hasn't already been said? Yes, this hotel was probably one of the best in the world in its heyday and is still living off those laurels. I have stayed in some of the nicest hotels in the world and chose to stay here based on the Oriental's reputation. The service, cleanliness, decor, etc - impeccable. In my opinion, where they falter somewhat is the general air of pretentiousness felt within the hotel. For example, my partner and I frequently wore respectable shorts for sightseeing tours during the day and were consistently treated by hotel staff upon our return to the hotel as if we didn't belong. Granted, anyone paying upwards of $500 a night for a room should be able to wear respectable clothing in the lobby without being frowned upon. In addition, we were also informed by our Thai friends that Thais don't normally frequent the Oriental as they don't feel welcomed. A Thai friend was waiting for us in the Lobby and wanted to use the toilet. He was taken to the back to a separate lavatory for staff. In my mind, no hotel can be considered the best in the world when it treats some of its guests in this manner. That being said, I am glad that I had the opportunity to stay at the Oriental. It was an interesting experience but I would probably not stay here again. I will most likely try the Peninsula on my next trip to Bangkok.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank FlyBoy98
Reviewed 23 February 2008

Stayed here at the beginning of a multi centre holiday in SE asia. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted with flower garlands and were escorted to our room for check in. We stayed in an executive suite which was very spacious and comfortable with a huge bathroom. It had terrific views of the river.

I think the thing that sets this hotel above others is the attention to detail. In the room there were hand written welcomes from the manager and the staff, personalised stationery and an invitation to the managers cocktail party . We were celebrating our 20th anniversary and there was a beautiful red rose heart shaped flower arrangement and a cake and chilled bottle of wine waiting for us in the room. The room was also filled with beautiful orchids.

We had booked a relaxing session at the Oriental Spa. The room had a private steam room and double jacuzzi to enjoy before the spa treatments.

All of the staff were very polite and helpful. The floor butler went out of his way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Other reviews have mentioned the fact that within a very short time the staff know your names and I initially thought that this was unlikely but we found it to be true.

The room was kept imacculate and was made up twice a day but we never saw any of the housekeeping staff. They just seemed to know when we were not in the room and wouldn`t be disturbing us.

The breakfast buffet had a very large selection of Eastern and Western food. We only had chance to dine at the Riverside Terrace restaurant. The meal was wonderful but expensive at £170 for two buffet meals and a bottle of average wine. A similar meal at Peninsula opposite the Oriental was approximately £80 (including wine) !

We used the hotel chauffeur service which was very comfortable and helped us to move our luggage and take us to check in for our onward journey.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gatekeeperdi
Reviewed 20 February 2008

The oriental in bangkok is a great traditional very established hotel right on the river. it has a fleet of chaufeur driven limos, an orchestra in the foyer, louis vuitton shop in the hotel etc etc. Although this type of hotel can often be stuffy and pretentious the oriental is neither, its very relaxed and a great base to explore bangkok.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2008

We stayed at the Oriental for 3 nights. On arrival we were met with flowers. Check in was smooth and quick, our bags were brought up 5 mins after arriving in the room. The room was very nice if a little old fashioned but then it is one of the longest established hotels in Bangkok. There was fruit and juice for us in the room and everything you could possibly need in the bathroom. The reason this hotel is so successful is the attention to detail and the excellent service. Each time we left our room the butler came and tidied up and left yet another orchid or polished our shoes. We had dinner at Lord Jims which has to been tried, the food is wonderful and again the service is unbeatable. Around the pool the attendants brought a continual supply of iced water. The pool food is just as good as the restaurant food which can be served to your sun lounger or a table. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff who are allways smiling and attentive. Breakfast is as good as it gets. Try the roast ham it's delicious. I defy anyone to say they can't find something they like. Even though it is a self serve buffet the waiting staff are just as helpful as in the restaurants with a continual topping up of tea or coffee. The Bamboo Bar is definately worth a visit. I am not even a Jazz fan but enjoyed the live music very much. The only negative about this hotel is the cost. It is very expensive but then they do say you get what you pay for which proved to be true when we stayed at the Shangri La on our outward journey. Not an experience we want to repeat.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple