“Long Live the Fine Difference!”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 15 July 2013

As an international frequent traveler, I have stayed in a number of fine hotels and resorts around the globe, but none has ever impressed me as much as the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok. This hotel far surpasses any standard of excellence set by other fine establishments.

Upon our arrival in Bangkok, we were warmly greeted by a hotel representative who collected our luggage and escorted us to a beautiful BMW 750 waiting for us and driven by a skilled chauffeur in white Livre. At the hotel, there was no waiting at the reception, we were whisked away to our beautiful room with its floor-to-ceiling panoramic windows overlooking the Chao Phraya River. The registration was done in our room in a matter of moments.

During the 4 days we were at Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok, we truly basked in the unsurpassed hospitality and personal attention we received from each and every staff member of this splendid hotel. Our room was absolutely great, the hotel furnishing and decoration are immaculate and top notch and exude refinement and class in every nook; and the location could not have been better. My only complaint about our stay is directed at myself because I didn't book a longer stay! But we will definitely go back as we have learned to love Bangkok and the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in this magnificent city.

Room Tip: A Few Tips Before You Book: 1. This hotel has a DRESS CODE! Guests are asked to refrain from wear...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ssmosley
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Dear Ssmosley

Thank you very much for this stunning review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! We are thrilled to hear such wonderful comments about our legendary hospitality, rooms, furnishings, and ambiance. Please do visit us again for another fantastic stay at “La Grande Dame”.

Warm regards

Reviewed 15 July 2013

One of the few hotels that you want to plan a vacation just to stay at. The staff were great and went above and beyond to make my whole family feel welcome. Location is right on the river with many good places to eat around the hotel (we did a food tour-not associated with the hotel-and the restaurants we went to were all 10 mins from the hotel). The hotel has nice pools and restaurants along the river. The only problem we had was getting taxis from China town to the hotel-but no biggie as long as you know to expect that. We are looking forward to staying at this hotel again. If you go to this hotel, you can set your expectations high and they will not be dissapointed. My parents haven't stopped talking about their stay here in the 70's and now I can see why. Wish we could have stayed longer and would love to return to Thailand just to stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in an Oriental Room which had a nice closet which had enough benches to fit three large su...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Utes1914

Thank you for this fantastic review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I am very pleased to hear that you and your family had such a wonderful stay with us and that you enjoyed the service, pools, and riverside restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back to “La Grande Dame” again in the near future!

Kind regards

Reviewed 14 July 2013

I visited this bar on a Sunday evening, and was treated to an extremely proficient and professional jazz quartet. We are not staying at the hotel, but would recommend the bamboo bar if you want a sophisticated cocktail while you listen to the chilled out jazz band, the mandarin is a beautiful hotel and well worth a visit for a drink or a meal, a calm oasis amidst the bustle of bangkok

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in a River View Room. The service is excellent and staff cannot do enough for you. The bathroom was one of the best I have experienced - 2 basins so great for couples. Beautiful lobby and the restaurant and bars were surprisingly reasonably priced. Free yoga class was great too. The fitness centre is located across the river so allow time to get to classes. I used the services of a private driver, very reasonable rates USD$40 per hour. Great option for sightseeing with cold towels and water included. Overall a luxury hotel and well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear kpman

Thank you for your wonderful review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am delighted to hear that you had great culinary and spa experiences, while also enjoying our legendary service! We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay with us soon!

Warmest personal regards

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Last time I stayed here, I wasn't sure the Oriental deserved its reputation. This time, I was left in no doubt - this is a world class hotel. Everything was smooth, luxurious and classy. I arrived late at night to a charming and efficient airport welcome, a cocooned limo ride into town, and a friendly, swift check-in done in my room overlooking the river. I was asked the time of my departure flight (midnight) and was immediately offered a late checkout.

Room was spacious and comfortable with a view of the river. Service was simply exquisite. Things happen effortlessly and automatically. Lift doors are opened for you. People know your name. You don't have to indicate you want your shoes cleaned, they just appear, shining.

Supper and breakfast by the river both excellent. Concierge helpfully recommends and arranges activities and boat tours upriver at the drop of a hat. Spa really is superb and getting there is fun in itself - you cross the river in the hotel ferry.

Friendly leave-taking and left with the desire to return.

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the river in the main building have the best view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear Jafarcakes

I am delighted to hear that you decided to give Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok a second chance and that we were able to live up to our world class reputation. Thank you for this excellent review and your lovely comments regarding our legendary service. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your culinary and spa experiences. We at “La Grande Dame” look forward to welcoming you back for another fantastic stay soon!

Warm regards

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I have just stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok with my wife and 2 children and was disappointed with having to pay for wifi. The service is excellent. The staff are all very friendly.
Every luxury hotel that I have stayed at within the last year has free wifi. Why can't they include it in the rate as the rates are not cheep.
This is the only downside with the hotel. It is time to move into the 21st century

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Patrick N
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The minute your car drives up towards the entrance you can feel it. The warm feeling that makes Oriental one of the worlds top hotel. Every staffmember will greet you with abig smile and the lobby with all its huge flowerarrangement will make you loose your breath, And that is just the beginning. You will enjoy everything but the greatest of the greatest is the stringquartet that plays lovely tunes every evening in the lobby. I love it and it makes me feel fantastic. I can go on and on and on, but as Nike says ... JUST DO IT

I´ve stayed at this lovely place many times both with friends, family and solo. The last time was januari 2011, my last visit was tonight for a drink in the lobby and lovely tunes from the stringquartet.

Room Tip: River view is essential.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank kastrullhaxan
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear kastrullhaxan

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am delighted that you consider us as one of the greatest hotels in the world and pleased to read that our team has consistently exceeded your expectations. We really look forward to welcoming you back ‘home’ in the very near future and for many years to come.

Warmest personal regards