“Still amazing”

Ranked #2 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
New York City, New York
“Still amazing”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We first stayed here 12 years ago, this is where my youngest then 3 became a water baby!
Since then we have regularly returned. Cannot say that I have ever had any complaints. Love everything about this hotel. Lazing around the pool, taking the boat over to the gym, sitting on the terrace, or get a room facing the river with a balcony! I could sit and watch the river traffic for hours!
Food is always great, we usually go to China House, fantastic modern Chinese cuisine and fantastic atmosphere, the decor is lovely! But a Pad Thai for lunch by the pool is not bad either! Actually may be the best Pad Thai that I have eaten. And breakfast is good wether you choose the a la carte section or the buffet. They have the same staff, it is nice for a place like the Mandarin that they are able to retain their staff who remembers guests, even if we have moved to the other side of the planet and now only visit once a year or so!
We have tried some other hotels in BKK, but truly, this is the place to stay. I mean, if you are going to come here as a stop on your sightseeing itinerary (and busloads seem to do just that) why not just make it 'yours' for a night or two?

Room Tip: We always stay at the front with a balcony, love sitting there watching the river traffic, but it ca...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fabfourNJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed in a superior room with my partner for 4 nights. The total room and service charge with tax included was around 35000 Baht (1200 USD), which was on the Four More deal (4th night is free).

We had arranged an airport transfer and the hotel had given us instructions to look for their staff member in the arrivals terminal with an orange jacket. That sounds conspicuous, but actually, there were orange jackets everywhere. We searched for their representitive for probably about half and hour before we gave up and caught a cab to the hotel. On check-in, I queried them about the transfer, and they told me the didn't have any record of me arranging airport transfers. I started to whinge about just leaving me stranded there, and I just got a reply along the lines of, "well you're here now, so what do you want us to do about it?" It was late, so I gave up and we were shown to the room.

The room was splendidly appointed. It had been decorated in a kind of colonial inspired fashion that blended perfectly with the uniforms of the staff and the location right on the river, with the traditional looking boats cruising past visible from the window. Our floor had a 24 hour butler who sat at a desk out the from of our room and helped us immediately with our queries about finding the right plugs for out appliances and questions about how to get around the hotel to find the various restaurants and amenities. The grounds of the hotel is split by the river, and a ferry service runs guests back and forth to reach the facilities they're looking for.

The restaurant located on the other side of the river was absolutely fantastic. It includes a performance of traditional Thai dance that is worth going to see alone. The traditional Thai cuisine was also spectacular.

The concierge was very helpful with tips for where to go and how to get around. We were quite impressed with the hotel overall but we did have some gripes. We could hear the guests in the neighboring rooms a little too clearly. While we were there, a odd problem happened with the water supply, and it was all coming through brown. It's possible that the hotel wasn't really to blame, and they did provide some complementary chocolates for the inconvenience delivered to the room, without us ever mentioning it to any of the staff. The toilet periodically flushed itself, or cycled the cistern or something that made a bit of a noise at all hours of the night. The staff at breakfast were somewhat inattentive, bringing us coffee without any sugar, milk or even a spoon to stir it, and then promptly disappearing for an extended period.

Internet was not included in the room rate, and it costs an arm and a leg. In fact, the charge for one day's internet use was actually more than the room rate at a nearby budget hotel that did include free wifi. When I tried to log onto the wifi, I was greeted with a log in page that displayed the price, and quickly changed my mind and closed it before agreeing to any charges. At check-out, there was an internet charge on the bill anyway. I argued the point with the desk clerk, but they insisted on making the charge. I paid with my credit card.

After the stay I was contacted by management to fill out a customer survey. I usually ignore these emails unless I have strong feelings about the hotel one way or the other. I made sure I pointed out our two main issues; the airport transfers and the internet charge. The manager contacted me personally, apologized profusely, arranged to have the internet charge refunded and offered us free airport transfers should we decide to return to the hotel on another trip. I haven't yet taken them up on it, but I certainly would given the opportunity. I found the manager quite sincere in his apology, and I believe he was telling the truth when he said our case was an outlier.

For the service rating, I would like to give five stars to the butler, the concierge, the manager and most of the other staff. For the check-in, check-out and breakfast, I would like to give zero, so I've made it an even 3 stars for service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RobOliv
All over Europe
Reviewed 7 November 2013

From the minute you walk in through the door you step back in time - the string quartet playing pachelbel canon, the shine of the teak walls, the smell of some incense or oil burning in the distance, all of it reminds you of a day long gone where the hotel was part of the experience of traveling and not just a place to lay your head and tolerate a bad buffet breakfast. I booked a room in the 'author's wing' which is a little separate from the main hotel and has a more interesting layout and design than the standard rooms. But what really separates this hotel from the rest of the pack is the service - truly stellar and will go above and beyond to assist. Small details such as working through a list of possible fine restaurants that would suit my interests, sorting out the trip there (via one of their boats on the river), reserving the table, drawing a map of key things to see around the area, and all of that in about 5 minutes flat (and done with a smile). it wasn't just the speed of the service, but their genuine interest in making sure that i had the best possible time. One small grumble with the hotel - WiFi is not free for everyone and it probably should be given the price. Perhaps that is for the best though as it does keep one off the email. Do make this a stop on you Bangkok circuit!

Room Tip: The river view rooms are really worth it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TripTestDummy
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear TripTestDummy

Wow! Thank you very much for this stunning review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay and that you particularly enjoyed the legendary ambiance and the iconic Oriental service. We hope to welcome you back for another exquisite stay at ‘La Grande Dame’ in the future!

With kind regards,
Idaho
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

If you have the means for a 5 star hotel, choose the Mandarin. The Peninsula is on the wrong side of the river, and the new Siam has no river views from the restaurants and so many rooms like the Mandarin. Breakfast on the outdoor terrace at the Mandarin watching the hysterical boat traffic is one of the great experiences of Indo-china.

The only improvement should be turning up the temperature and turning down the lights in The Terrace indoor cafe.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank IdahoTimber
Dear IdahoTimber

Thank you for this fantastic review of ‘La Grande Dame’. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the magical ambiance along the River of Kings. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Warm regards,
BAHRAIN
Reviewed 7 November 2013

If you are thinking business and want a river side, look no further. Top class management from check in to check out. Very pleasing color palette and comfortable bed linen topped by the state of the art entertainment system.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank indieglow
Dear indieglow

Thank you for such a wonderful review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! It’s great to hear that you had such a fabulous stay. Thank you or your heartfelt recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to the “Best of the Best” soon.

Best Regards
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The wife booked The Mandarin Oriental for a short birthday getaway trip and i'm very glad she chose this hotel. It's the small stuff that they pay attention to which made it a great experience. My wife was examining some of the flowers in the lobby and one of the staff chimed in a bit about of the other flowers. That's good staff initiative there.

The rooms were nicely decorated, super comfy bed and free wifi. The toiletries (namely the soap) were pretty good, though i wish they were a bit more generous with it. Being a smoker with a non-smoking wife, we got the non-smoking rooms but i wasn't completely left out as there is a small public balcony for you to smoke which is EXTREMELY welcome for someone in my position.

The hotel provides periodic shuttle buses to the closest skytrain. If i had one comment to this hotel to the next level: provide return shuttle buses from the closest skytrain station. It's a bit of a pain to always have to bargain with taxi drivers when coming back late (as they are usually trying to rip you off with high prices). While this isn't the hotel's problem or scope, it would really make things much more hassle free for its guests!

Room Tip: if you're a smoker and travelling with a non-smoking partner (and thus getting a non-smoking roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yosoyken
Dear yosoyken

Thank you very much for this great review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic stay and that you particularly enjoyed the Oriental charm and legendary service. We hope to welcome you back for another exquisite stay at ‘La Grande Dame’ in the future!

Kind Regards
Italy
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The first time we visited Bangkok we had dinner on the terrace restaurant and vowed when we returned to Bangkok we'd stay there and that's what we've done ever since. This time it was our splurge at the end of a trip to Myanmar which wasn't the easiest of places to visit so the Oriental was a very welcome sight when we returned to Thailand.
I can't say enough good things about this hotel, from the time you enter the lobby until you leave everything is perfect, smiling faces everywhere eager to ask if they can be of service to you.
The rooms are'nt the biggest but they're beautifully furnished and the views over the river especially at night are magical. When I stay here I think i'm in an Agatha Christie film, this will continue to be our splurge every time we visit Bangkok, it really doesn't get much better than this.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chrella
Dear Chrella

Thank you very much for reviewing Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok on TripAdvisor. I’m delighted to hear that you had such a fantastic time. Please do let us know when your plans bring you back to Bangkok. I would be delighted to assist with the details of your stay to ensure another wonderful experience.

Best Regards