Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$260
US$268
US$241
Okura Hotels
4,590 results
All reviewsbamboo baracross the riverfloor butlerauthor's loungechina housesala rim naamlord jimbest hotels in the worldgrand dameriverside terracegarden wingthai restaurantbutler serviceview of the riverchao phraya riverhotel boatpool staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 November 2013

After hiking 10 days in Bhutan, I spent one night at the Oriental on my way back to the USA. Everything was perfect!

The pick up at the airport was super quick: I was whisked out in no time. The arrival was lovely: I appreciated everything being ready as I stepped out of the car (key, paperwork). The check-in in the room was flawless: the attendant took care of everything in no time (spa and restaurant reservation, car). The room continues to be perfect, with an amazing attention to details. The internet was free and extremely fast: there is no better work desk anywhere.

The breakfast buffet is still amazing. Best spa treatment ever (especially after carrying a backpack in the Himalayas for 10 days!). Lunch at Sala was a unique experience: there was discernible pride in the attendants when they explained the different items at the buffet: the variety is mind blowing and the quality incredible: the grilled giant prawns split lengthwise, the soft-shell crabs and the fried rice were memorable - I can't wait to go back!

This was my second time at the Oriental (first time was in 2007) and I found the service to be more than excellent! I cannot imagine contemplating staying at another place in Bangkok. Much more than a hotel stay - this was a memorable experience! Exactly what I look for when I travel for vacation.

Is the place expensive? Maybe, but memories like this have no price. Furthermore, my Virtuoso travel agent had made the reservation for me (it means upgrade, internet, breakfast and lunch were all included). Therefore, I think it was a great value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Teigne
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Teigne

I am delighted to read your review and thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us following your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am pleased to know how much you appreciated your time at ‘La Grande Dame’. I am also thrilled that you enjoyed the various culinary delights at the hotel, and the legendary Oriental service.

Please do let us know when your plans bring you back to Bangkok. I would be delighted to assist with the details of your stay to ensure another wonderful experience at ‘La Grande Dame’.

Warmest personal regards
Michael Nurbatlian
Communications Manager

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Amazing hotel with great attention to detail, wonderful service and staff eager to please without being obstrusive. Very relaxing in the heart of Bangkok. Worth every penny. Could not fault this hotel or the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason P
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My 9th visit to this wonderful hotel. My addition is clearly showing little or no sign of being overcome! Everything was as normal - first class. The addition for me this time was the re-opening of Ciao, the Italian restaurant on the river which had been refurbished since I was there earlier this year. The food was very good indeed, with some expert sourcing of products of the highest quality from Italy. Seems strange going for a meal such as this when in Bangkok but just once in a while a respite from chill and lemongrass is in order, and you won't find a better Italian meal in Thailand in my view. Looking forward to my 10th visit in 2014!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear UKtraveller143

It was wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I have shared your feedback regarding Ciao with our team and they are very happy to read your comments. We are thrilled to welcome you back for your 10th visit in 2014.

Warm regards
Michael Nurbatlian
Communications Manager

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stunning property nearby the river, epitomising colonial influence and steeped in Thailand's modern history. It's pricey but perhaps the best way to experience a dose of the country's royal heritage... Lovers of literature will appreciate knowing some of the greats have stayed there, too.
You'll be greeted in true Thai style with smiles and the wai, and refreshments in the gorgeous grand lobby. We stayed (both times) in the River Wing, enjoying the large, well-appointed rooms and of course views of the busy, beautiful river with its colourful boats. Rooms overlooking the gardens are bound to be as lovely, judging by our stroll(s) around the grounds.
Service was faultless. As the visits were for business, we only had breakfast each day but the menu offered delicious local and western options. When we returned to the hotel at night, the bed was turned down with fresh orchids on the pillows and staff left fruit for the morning.
Oriental Bangkok is must-visit. If you're unable to stay a night, at least have breakfast/brunch there simply for its history and beauty.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I could sum up our stay at this luxury hotel with one word- "WOW"- but specifics are required. We dragged ourselves- sweaty, tired and bedraggled- into this incredibly classy and beautiful hotel and were still treated like royalty. The service was so exceptional that for awhile we actually thought they'd confused us with somebody important! But throughout our stay the service was wonderful, gracious... exceptional in every way. The room was beautiful- large with Thai decor, blooming orchid plants and a river view that was spectacular! Everything we could possibly need was already in place, and then some. Food at the restaurants was fabulous. I normally don't like buffets (quality isn't usually the best), but the riverside buffet dinner was the best we've ever had. So much delicious food but only one stomach! We had to force ourselves to stop eating. Did I mention the beauty of the hotel itself? The lobby alone was incredible! Every detail of this hotel is tended to with the utmost care. Thank you so much to the managers and staff for a perfect experience!

Room Tip: This is not an inexpensive hotel, obviously, but whatever extra it costs for an upper floor room with river view is definitely worth it. The view from our room was mesmerizing!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple