“Fantastic getaway if you stay within hotel property, but no train station nearby so be ready to be stuck in traffic.”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #3 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Great place to go if you are not going to leave the hotel, which is what I did after being stuck in traffic. No avoiding it because there are no train stations nearby. I was happy to stay in, relax by the pool and sip on the complimentary iced coffee offered at the pool.

The spa is excellent. I had 1.5hr massage and went back the next day because it was so good.

The gym is good and I took a complimentary yoga class which I enjoyed.

We tried the restaurants and they were all very good.

The service was great and it almost justifies the price of the hotel. Because Bangkok offers so many 5 star hotels at USD300/night, it's hard to say if 500-600/night is justifiable for Mandarin. I admit, Mandarin's service is stellar and it is my most favorite hotel chain, but Thai service standards are high in general so I am not sure if I would be willing to pay up 500-600 next time. (We switched hotels in the middle of our trip to St. Regis (300/night), which is connected to the train station and it was very convenient).

I'd recommend this hotel for travelers planning on spending most of their time in the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Dan E
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Dan E

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. It is indeed a true pleasure to read that you had a wonderful time, special at the Oriental Spa. Regarding the Sky Train, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok is conveniently located next to the Saphan Taksin station and we provide complimentary shuttle boat service from the hotel’s pier to the station everyday from 7 am until midnight. In addition, the river offers an authentic ‘Bangkok discovery’ option by long tail boat to the Grand Palace and most of the iconic Temples. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Bangkok

Sincerely
Communications Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,398)

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Colonial architecture of the old wing, sublime! Architecture of the new wing (not so new), a horror. Beautiful room. Excellent service. Geographical location perfect. Chinese restaurant in an old Mansion, splendid. Food not exceptional but very correct, adding a little dirty. To do for the atmosphere. Spa manifique but on the other side of the river. The opportunity to make a Chinese junk (Motorised), free transfer to hotel guests. The best hotel in Bangkok ... with the tariff equivalent.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Devonmichchell

Dear Devonmichchell

Thank you for this great review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! We are so glad to hear that you have a fantastic time and that you particularly appreciated the legendary service and exquisite cuisine. We look forward to welcoming you back for more amazing stays in the future!

Warm Regards

Reviewed 27 November 2013

An hotel with the best service and the best staff we ever put in Many trips around the world. Everywhere in the hotel & we feel wellcome everybody Seems to know us, people are calling us by our names. this hotel is very special.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kerth L
Reviewed 26 November 2013

After hiking 10 days in Bhutan, I spent one night at the Oriental on my way back to the USA. Everything was perfect!

The pick up at the airport was super quick: I was whisked out in no time. The arrival was lovely: I appreciated everything being ready as I stepped out of the car (key, paperwork). The check-in in the room was flawless: the attendant took care of everything in no time (spa and restaurant reservation, car). The room continues to be perfect, with an amazing attention to details. The internet was free and extremely fast: there is no better work desk anywhere.

The breakfast buffet is still amazing. Best spa treatment ever (especially after carrying a backpack in the Himalayas for 10 days!). Lunch at Sala was a unique experience: there was discernible pride in the attendants when they explained the different items at the buffet: the variety is mind blowing and the quality incredible: the grilled giant prawns split lengthwise, the soft-shell crabs and the fried rice were memorable - I can't wait to go back!

This was my second time at the Oriental (first time was in 2007) and I found the service to be more than excellent! I cannot imagine contemplating staying at another place in Bangkok. Much more than a hotel stay - this was a memorable experience! Exactly what I look for when I travel for vacation.

Is the place expensive? Maybe, but memories like this have no price. Furthermore, my Virtuoso travel agent had made the reservation for me (it means upgrade, internet, breakfast and lunch were all included). Therefore, I think it was a great value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Teigne

Dear Teigne

I am delighted to read your review and thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us following your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am pleased to know how much you appreciated your time at ‘La Grande Dame’. I am also thrilled that you enjoyed the various culinary delights at the hotel, and the legendary Oriental service.

Please do let us know when your plans bring you back to Bangkok. I would be delighted to assist with the details of your stay to ensure another wonderful experience at ‘La Grande Dame’.

Warmest personal regards

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Amazing hotel with great attention to detail, wonderful service and staff eager to please without being obstrusive. Very relaxing in the heart of Bangkok. Worth every penny. Could not fault this hotel or the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason P
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My 9th visit to this wonderful hotel. My addition is clearly showing little or no sign of being overcome! Everything was as normal - first class. The addition for me this time was the re-opening of Ciao, the Italian restaurant on the river which had been refurbished since I was there earlier this year. The food was very good indeed, with some expert sourcing of products of the highest quality from Italy. Seems strange going for a meal such as this when in Bangkok but just once in a while a respite from chill and lemongrass is in order, and you won't find a better Italian meal in Thailand in my view. Looking forward to my 10th visit in 2014!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear UKtraveller143

It was wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I have shared your feedback regarding Ciao with our team and they are very happy to read your comments. We are thrilled to welcome you back for your 10th visit in 2014.

Warm regards

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stunning property nearby the river, epitomising colonial influence and steeped in Thailand's modern history. It's pricey but perhaps the best way to experience a dose of the country's royal heritage... Lovers of literature will appreciate knowing some of the greats have stayed there, too.
You'll be greeted in true Thai style with smiles and the wai, and refreshments in the gorgeous grand lobby. We stayed (both times) in the River Wing, enjoying the large, well-appointed rooms and of course views of the busy, beautiful river with its colourful boats. Rooms overlooking the gardens are bound to be as lovely, judging by our stroll(s) around the grounds.
Service was faultless. As the visits were for business, we only had breakfast each day but the menu offered delicious local and western options. When we returned to the hotel at night, the bed was turned down with fresh orchids on the pillows and staff left fruit for the morning.
Oriental Bangkok is must-visit. If you're unable to stay a night, at least have breakfast/brunch there simply for its history and beauty.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business