The Oriental is a class of its own. There may be hotels that are newer, more modern, higher, etc but they do not compare with the timeless elegance of Bangkok's grand dame. Service is impeccable, food delicious. The decor and furniture of the rooms may be a bit outdated but they are in impeccable condition and your floor butler will be there to assist you at all times. The garden and the pool are small but nice. I absolutely recommend the barbecue you will not find a nicer place to spend your evening. Bangkok does not have the best air quality but sitting on the terrace at the river, having some grilled lobster with a good glass if wine and emjoying the fresh breeze is the best you can do (forget about Nahm, Scirocco, Vertigo and all the other places).
One minus (which makes me deduct one star) - but this was one that we considered annoying - is that the hotel does not offer any complimentary internet and makes you buy it for 24-hour periods. At the hefty prices they are charging for everything, and considering the fact that every restaurant, shop and hotel in Bangkok offers free Wifi, we thought that was quite cheap.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1876 and ideally located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, has been an inspiration to a host of world-renowned writers from Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maughamto Wilbur Smith and John Le Carre. Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok boasts an international reputation for splendid service, style and grace and facilities including eight restaurants. The hotel's private teakwood shuttle boats provide daily access to the world famous Thai Cooking School, the hotel's Thai restaurant, the award-winning Oriental Spa and Health Centre located across the River; as well as the nearest skytrain station (SaphanTaksin) and River City Shopping Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, Agoda, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Mandarin Oriental