“Unadulterated luxury.”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #3 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 21 April 2014

There is no where else on earth like The Oriental Bangkok. To experience what the hotel has to offer and to find out why it has been rated so highly by critics and guests around the world, I decided to spend a weekend at The Oriental. From booking the room to checking-in, the process was seamless and done in a very efficient and elegant manner. The staff go above and beyond to make sure I had an incredible experience and a comfortable stay. The place may seem a little snobby because they always hold wedding and engagement events with dressed-up guests from the Thai high society crowding the public area, however the staff really made me feel at ease.

The Superior room, their most basic room, which I booked was relatively compact in size compared to modern Bangkok hotels but it is gorgeously appointed. Due to the angled design of the Tower lay-out, my room had a partial river view despite being located towards the rear of the building. I could totally accept this as I can also glimpse at the city (same view as from the rooms at The Peninusla across the river). The bathroom is beautiful with marbles and wooden floor, double vanities, a lovely bath (would be awesome with a small TV!), and a walk-in shower. Their house branded range of toiletries smell amazing and are of similar quality to the usual brands such as Hermes/Acqua normally found in other Mandarin Oriental properties). The bed is super comfortable as expected and the TV is flat screen (but not HD) but has a wide range of international channels. You find a dedicated butler and house keeping attendant on each floor and everytime I make a request for something the same staff would come over each time remembering my preferences therefore I need not make further requests. Truly classy!

The breakfast buffet is served at the Riverside Terrace, al fresco style, in sweltering heat. The food selections are excellent with free flow of sparkling wine! I had lunch in their casual Verandah restaurant and the food was very delicious and came in large portion (one main course is enough). I thought this was of excellent value and you do not have to dress up (whereas dining in their higher end, Lord Jim's or Le Normandie restaurants require formal attire). In the afternoon I dropped by the pool for some relaxation, the main pool was really deep and the loungers often occupied by large families with lots of children. Not exactly the place to relax! I do, however, love the ice cream cart that comes around to your lounger serving refreshing scoops of ice cream with condiments , free-of-charge! The Oriental spa is highly acclaimed but I did not have enough time to try it. The Author's lounge in the original wing is often occupied by engagement parties during the day, if not, it is open for their famous afternoon tea. There is a small reading room reserved for hotel guests nearby. The entire colonial building is stunning and so is the French restaurant at the top (their lunch menus are of excellent value).

I truly recommend this legendary hotel to everyone who would like to experience luxury hospitality at its best. The location is not bad as there is access to the sky train via the complimentary shuttle boat (very fun experience). The main business and shopping areas are no more than 20 minutes away by taxi. Thumbs up to the team at The (Mandarin) Oriental Bangkok and Amanda Hyndman, the GM.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room here!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ben C
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear skyrider88

Thank you for sharing your fabulous experience and photos on Tripadvisor, they are amazing! You have been so kind with your detailed review, in particular regarding our accommodation, legendary Oriental butler service and the iconic breakfast at the Riverside Terrace. I have shared your kind feedback with our General Manager, Mrs. Amanda Hyndman and the Oriental family and they are delighted to know about your excellent feedback. Thank you once again for your heartfelt recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘La Grande Dame’ for another exquisite stay!

Warm regards

Communications Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,397)

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Staying here for 8 days (2 more to go). Perfect service, very friendly staff, lovely food, nice pool area, great restaurant and nice bar. All very clean! Would come back again! Negative:
Rooms could be a bit bigger, too many small children (noise) around the pool and hotel building from the outside not very pretty... but inside very nice!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank V M

Dear V M

Thank you very much for posting an excellent review about your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, on Tripadvisor. Thank you as well for your constructive feedback, I have shared this with our management team for further consideration. We really look forward to welcoming you back again to Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, in the very near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Wish we could have stayed longer and we'll certainly be back. The friendly staff anticipated our every need from the fresh fruit in the room daily to the butler to turn down our bed each night. We rarely even touched an elevator button - someone was always there to do it for us. Our view of the river was gorgeous and their river boat took us to most of the places or connections we needed to go to. The buffet was divine and dining on the river was so restful. The little touches - like the orchids on the pillow each night with a bit of poetry was just one more thing to look forward to when we entered the room each night!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DMCD24

Dear DMCD24

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review! I am thrilled to learn that we have fulfilled our aim to anticipate your needs during your stay. I am also delighted to read your appreciation of the hotel’s legendary Butlers and culinary delights. When your plans bring you back to Bangkok, please let me know; I would be pleased to assist with the necessary arrangements.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Upon arrival we were given fresh fragrant jasmine wreaths and escorted into the magnificent lobby, whose immense chandelier is made of hand strung purple everlasting flowers. A string quartet plays in the lobby in the evening. Our reception was gracious and friendly. Concierge very helpful with advice on shopping, restaurants and directions. They recommended various local inexpensive spots for lunch and dinner and they were just marvelously unusual and delicious. We stayed in the deluxe river view room with fabulous view of Chao Phraya river and enjoyed the various boats going by all lit up in the evening. Our room was spacious, luxurious and comfortable. Our butler was friendly, professional and willing to help with our unpacking and in our case re-packing of our many suitcases. The hotel has it's own boat which transports you to and from various river locations and back and forth to its spa. Do not miss having a Massage or treatment in this beautiful Oriental oasis. The restaurants are great, breakfast on the terrace overlooking the river is as wonderful as it is plentiful. Everything about this hotel is pure luxury, not the least bit ostentatious . When you walk through the door you feel like you've entered an oasis of calm, one you may never want to leave. The Mandarine was a wonderful way to end our Tour of Asia.

Room Tip: I think the deluxe river view rooms are the best, we were offered an upgrade to the Authors wing and...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ataman2

Dear ataman2

“Walk through the door you feel like you’ve entered an oasis of calm” what a FANtastic description! Thank you for such a wonderful and detailed review. Your wonderful recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope that our legendary service will tempt your return!

Warmest personal regards

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Quick recap - When it's 90 degrees, or hotter, with 90% humidity, no rational person would expect a man to wear long pants while sitting in an outdoor river front restaurant. Factor in that you are paying thousands of dollars per night for the "privilege" of staying at this world famous hotel and easily a thousand dollars for a dinner for two with wine, and it makes the idea of forcing men to wear long pants even more ridiculous.

But the sexist outdated and outrageous policies of this hotel force male guests to either stay in their rooms or be uncomfortable in the sweltering heat since they have a hotel wide policy requiring men to be uncomfortable while allowing women to be comfortable. The idea that men can not show any of their legs, but women can, is a sickening sexist remnant of the past.

Having one or even two formal or semi-formal restaurants is always nice. To sit down to a meal where all the guests are dressed in elegant dresses or suits and ties is a nice change of pace from life which has become too casual. But to create a blatantly sexist atmosphere throughout the entire hotel where men are not allowed, even in the lobby, let alone at an outdoor riverfront restaurant when it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity, in smart but comfortable clothing, while women can wear virtually anything (or nothing), is not only outdated, a flashback to the 1950s, it is a disgusting reminder that sexism is alive and well in Asia.

Complaining about this immediately after arriving at the hotel and discovering the policy, the front desk manager I dealt with could not have been more arrogant. He first claimed the website described the policy. It does not. Then he lied, repeatedly lied, and claimed that no one in the hundred (?) year history of the hotel had ever complained about the policy. As I was complaining about the policy I said "I am complaining now, are you still claiming that no one has ever complained" to which he replied yes with an arrogant "our hotel is better than you are" smirk on his face. Finally I said "I want to make a formal written complaint. Now will you admit that someone has complained" and without losing his smirk he finally agreed there had been a complaint about the sexist policy.

Infuriated I left to cool off for a while but came back a short, no pun intended, while later. I decided that I was just not going to be told how I can dress, when I have my personal shopper at Saks deliberately always choose smart, comfortable clothes and I'm paying them $500 for a basic room. For the same price you can a wonderful suite at the Peninsula with amazing views. At first this smug, arrogant man told me I would have to pay a 50% penalty. I protested so they charged me no fee. I would love to return to the hotel some time in the future when they realize it is not 1950 and women do not exist solely for their legs to be shown off to the wondering eyes of men.

Pros -
A butler is in attendance on each floor to handle all requests.
Riverfront location (although rooms at the Pen have much better river views)
The staff are beyond friendly and helpful providing the highest level of service

Cons -
For the price of a small room here, which may or not have a river view, and the rooms are SMALL, you can get a suite at the much better Peninsula just across the river
As described, the disgusting, outdated, sexist policy towards men which does not apply to women
The pool is much smaller than the Pen

All in all there is no reason to stay at this hotel except for the snob factor. The Peninsula surpasses this hotel in every possible way except the butler, and they do it for a fraction of the price, and without the arcane sexist dress code for public spaces and riverfront restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
37  Thank Seaside_65
MKBauder, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Seaside_65

Thank you very much for your review and we regret that we have not been able to meet your expectations during your recent visit. Whilst we do respect your views with regards to our dress code please allow me to respond to some of the comments in your post.

The hotel's dress code is indeed published on our website and applies to ladies, gentlemen and children alike. It states that the restaurants “adhere to a smart dress code for all guests, including children starting from 6:30pm. Ladies are kindly asked to wear elegant attire and proper footwear. Gentlemen are kindly asked to wear smart shirt, long trousers and closed shoes." (http://www.mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/fine-dining/the-verandah/)

Not only do most of our foreign guests of any age or background appreciate our dress code as it contributes much to the sophisticated ambience of the hotel, it is also particularly valued by our local Thai guests as they generally enjoy dressing up elegantly when visiting the hotel at dinner time. We do respect this tradition and we believe to have found the right balance between promoting elegant attire at night and creating a relaxed and comfortable environment.

You have noted in your review that my colleagues were ‘beyond friendly’ which is much appreciated and I can only emphasize that we are keen to welcome any guest with a warm and genuine smile and that our team will go above and beyond to make your stay most enjoyable.

We hope that you will visit us again and perhaps we will be able to make you feel home and to make you better understand why it is worth preserving our dress code. I would be delighted to discuss further with you in person any time at your convenience.

Yours sincerely

Marcus Bauder
Hotel Manager
Mandarin Oriental Bangkok

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Two nights in this lovely hotel were a great experience. Watching the hustle and bustle of the river traffic, especially at night was terrific. The options for dining are extensive and all are excellent. The staff are attentive and were very helpful when we had a dental problem. This must be the place to stay in Bangkok especially with the lovely pool.

Room Tip: The third floor rooms in the river wing have balconies
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MalcCirencester

Dear MalcCirencester

I am truly delighted to hear that you have enjoyed you stay with us. Thank you very much for sharing such a great experience especially in regard to the magical views of the Chao Phraya River, caring service from the Oriental family, culinary delights and our elegant Oriental pools. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘La Grande Dame’ for another wonderful stay.

Best regards

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Being a repeat customer (over 40 years) I still find the Hotel superb and the staff charming. Being adressed by the younger members as Mama and Papa and the older ones as Khun Irene and Khun Manu makes us feel just right at home.
Anyone who ist not happy at the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok should stay at home.

Room Tip: We love room 315 as it gives you the best view over the river, pool and garden.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank guggerli37

Dear guggerli37

Thank you for this wonderful review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok and for your continued patronage over the years. We are extremely delighted to hear how much you have enjoyed our legendary hospitality over the past 40 years! We look forward to welcoming you ‘home’ again very soon!

Warmest regards