There is no where else on earth like The Oriental Bangkok. To experience what the hotel has to offer and to find out why it has been rated so highly by critics and guests around the world, I decided to spend a weekend at The Oriental. From booking the room to checking-in, the process was seamless and done in a very efficient and elegant manner. The staff go above and beyond to make sure I had an incredible experience and a comfortable stay. The place may seem a little snobby because they always hold wedding and engagement events with dressed-up guests from the Thai high society crowding the public area, however the staff really made me feel at ease.
The Superior room, their most basic room, which I booked was relatively compact in size compared to modern Bangkok hotels but it is gorgeously appointed. Due to the angled design of the Tower lay-out, my room had a partial river view despite being located towards the rear of the building. I could totally accept this as I can also glimpse at the city (same view as from the rooms at The Peninusla across the river). The bathroom is beautiful with marbles and wooden floor, double vanities, a lovely bath (would be awesome with a small TV!), and a walk-in shower. Their house branded range of toiletries smell amazing and are of similar quality to the usual brands such as Hermes/Acqua normally found in other Mandarin Oriental properties). The bed is super comfortable as expected and the TV is flat screen (but not HD) but has a wide range of international channels. You find a dedicated butler and house keeping attendant on each floor and everytime I make a request for something the same staff would come over each time remembering my preferences therefore I need not make further requests. Truly classy!
The breakfast buffet is served at the Riverside Terrace, al fresco style, in sweltering heat. The food selections are excellent with free flow of sparkling wine! I had lunch in their casual Verandah restaurant and the food was very delicious and came in large portion (one main course is enough). I thought this was of excellent value and you do not have to dress up (whereas dining in their higher end, Lord Jim's or Le Normandie restaurants require formal attire). In the afternoon I dropped by the pool for some relaxation, the main pool was really deep and the loungers often occupied by large families with lots of children. Not exactly the place to relax! I do, however, love the ice cream cart that comes around to your lounger serving refreshing scoops of ice cream with condiments , free-of-charge! The Oriental spa is highly acclaimed but I did not have enough time to try it. The Author's lounge in the original wing is often occupied by engagement parties during the day, if not, it is open for their famous afternoon tea. There is a small reading room reserved for hotel guests nearby. The entire colonial building is stunning and so is the French restaurant at the top (their lunch menus are of excellent value).
I truly recommend this legendary hotel to everyone who would like to experience luxury hospitality at its best. The location is not bad as there is access to the sky train via the complimentary shuttle boat (very fun experience). The main business and shopping areas are no more than 20 minutes away by taxi. Thumbs up to the team at The (Mandarin) Oriental Bangkok and Amanda Hyndman, the GM.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1876 and ideally located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, has been an inspiration to a host of world-renowned writers from Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maughamto Wilbur Smith and John Le Carre. Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok boasts an international reputation for splendid service, style and grace and facilities including eight restaurants. The hotel's private teakwood shuttle boats provide daily access to the world famous Thai Cooking School, the hotel's Thai restaurant, the award-winning Oriental Spa and Health Centre located across the River; as well as the nearest skytrain station (SaphanTaksin) and River City Shopping Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, LoveHolidays, Agoda, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Mandarin Oriental