Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
4,586 results
All reviewsbamboo baracross the riverfloor butlerauthor's loungechina housesala rim naamlord jimbest hotels in the worldgrand dameriverside terracegarden wingthai restaurantbutler serviceview of the riverchao phraya riverhotel boatpool staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 May 2014

If you are visiting Bangkok you have to stay here. The old original building is fascinating to walk around and the lounge serves the most amazing cream tea. The staff are fantastic and the rooms are great with your own butler. We had a river view which was wonderful as you got to see Bangkok's river life at day and night. All of the restaurants are excellent. Get the hotel boat over to the other side of the river where their Thai restaurant is - its a wonderful experience to eat here and watch the boats pass by. The food is excellent - try the buffet for a real selection of great Thai dishes. The swimming pool area is lovely but can get busy. The gym is great and the spa is amazing - definitely book a treatment. Thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: River View Room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Have just returned from a weekend at the Mandarin Bangkok to celebrate my Birthday.
From the moment I arrived I received impeccable service, on my actual Birthday countless members of staff wished me a Happy Birthday, I was also presented with a Birthday Cake, flowers, and a chorus of Happy Birthday from the floor staff.
The hotel itself was what you would expect from the Mandarin, traditional style of the best quality.
The restaurants were all first class, great outdoor dining with beautiful terraces to sit and watch the hustle and bustle of the Chao Praya River
The gym is modern and well equipped, and my spa visit also was very relaxing.
Great Hotel with 1st class service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

After many years as a firm Shangri La supporter, I decided to try the Mandarin Oriental a few doors down on the Chao Praya River in Bangkok. One slightly disappointing stay at the Shangri La prompted our decision for a change - we had high expectations, especially given the hotel prices.

Overall the hotel is nice, it feels small, with a colonial feel. However, there is an air or snottiness throughout. On this occasion I was travelling with my sister, so we shared a twin room. We ate at the hotel on 2 occasions (excluding breakfast), the Thai restaurant was massively disappointing - some of the most disappointing Thai food we've ever had :(

We were invited to drinks with the manager on the final evening - we went, but as the only guests in attendance under the age of 50 we felt rather out of place & no one made any effort to talk to us. A shame, since I think we have most likely travelled more than anyone else in the room & know Thailand very well.

A 'nice' hotel, but we won't be back - at least not until we're over 60!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
11  Thank Aimee M
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Just facinating the hotel lobby and all the details all arond the hotel ..in my room there were 4 orchid vases and others orchids on the bed , fresh native fruits everything day with a card explaning about . The rooms are big , with lot of space and a beatiful view to the river. The employes are só helpful and Nice with foreing people . The hotel restaurants are great too . The breakfast beside the river o even the dinner are must do in Bangkok . The hotel BOat gave you free rides to the other side of the river and to others points but you can take a tuktuk BOat and go to the temples just few minutes from mandarin. The streets near the hotel is just Bangkok Style , with lots of jewerly stores and local comerce .but realy Nice walk tour. i recomend to all my friends this hotel and must return soon .
tour

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

If there was one 6* hotel in the World, this would be it. The hotel is old but extremely well maintained, and sits on a riverside lot that requires taking a Hotel owned ferry to the spa, gym and Thai restaurant. The impeccable service with a smile and pleasant comment is never ending. The Spa was rated #1 in the world a few years ago by Conde Naste and Travel & Leisure. It still is my number one. The personal attention is incredible. One morning I mentioned to the floor butler my throat was a little scratchy. When I got back to my room, there was a get well card and a bouquet of flowers. They opened up the Chinese restaurant (dinner only) to get me a bowl of won ton soup for my scratchy throat.
I could go on for hours about my experiences there. I wish I could retire there.

Room Tip: Make your own reservations and call directly. If you are not satisfied with your room, go back to check in and discreetly "tip" the clerk and see if a better room is available. If possible have a Thai friend make the reservation for you. There is "Thai" price and foreigner price in almost all hotels in Thailand. Sometimes the price can vary by 50%. River view rooms are the best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple