“Quite possibly the best hotel we've ever stayed in...”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Quite possibly the best hotel we've ever stayed in...”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

What you would expect from any mandarin Oriental and a lot more. Impeccable service, nothing too much trouble, genuinely trying to cater for your every whim.
Very good pool service. Fantastic buffet and breakfast on the riverside terrace. Lots of restaurant choice including very authentic Thai. Floor butler service is a delight. We will now stay no where else in Bangkok

Room Tip: Ask for a river view and marvel at the variety of water traffic.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Seelo
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Seelo

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok; and thank you for taking the time to write such a superb review in particular regarding to the magical dining experiences and fabulous pool experience. I have shared your comments with our team and they are delighted to know about your excellent feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘La Grande Dame’ soon.

Best wishes
Communications Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I'd wanted to stay in MO for a number of years, for various reasons it had always eluded me, though my wife and I ate there several times. Finally last weekend off we went (we were there from 5/23-26). Unlike most of the reviews here, mine is quite harsh. My wife thinks my expectation is unrealistically high as most of the awards MO has won are from years ago.

The first disappointment was the bed. This is the only hotel we've stayed in which they make a king bed by putting two twin beds and mattresses together. By the time we realized something was not right with the bed, we were too tired to get out of bed to ask for a room change. The toilet amenities were house brand and according to my wife far from being impressive when compared to the top brands other hotels use nowadays (W uses Bliss, for example). Towels lacked that luxurious, lush feel to them.

I am an avid tennis player. One way to judge a hotel in Bangkok is to play a match on its tennis court. The tennis court, as the health club, is on the other side of the river, getting to the court is a very pleasant experience. But once there, I was again dealt with disappointment. The court is surrounded not by trees and plants but by some not too pleasant housing in the neighborhood. Someone's hanged laundry was actually visible. And here I had experienced another first in Bangkok. Unlike other hotels I'd stayed in Thailand, MO actually charged for the court.

There's still something that MO has which other hotels can only envy. That old world charm and that's probably alluring enough to make us come back here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kit C
Dear Kit C

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. It is a pleasure to read that you appreciated the legendary ambiance, award-winning service and old world charm. Thank you as well for your constructive feedback regarding the two twin beds and in-room amenities. However, I regret to learn about your experience at our Tennis Court. Please accept my apologies and kindly note that I have shared your feedback with our management team for further review.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. When your plans bring you back to Bangkok, please let me know; I would be pleased to help with the necessary arrangements.

Warmest personal regards
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The long weekend at the MO was extraordinary. The attention to detail throughout the hotel (décor, architecture, table ware etc) and service is of the highest standards. My needs were met and anticipated by each department and person I came into contact with. I checked in during the recent Coup weekend, having been urged by others to chancel my trip - I am so glade that I didn't, to have missed out on this experience I cannot even imagine! The MO has become my hotel of choice in an instance, it didn't loose its shine once throughout the three nights I was there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear NoBoarders0704

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave this wonderful review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I am really delighted to read all the lovely things you have to say about ‘La Grande Dame’. It’s great to hear that you had a fantastic stay and that you particularly enjoyed the fabulous decor, culinary delights and legendary service. Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again for another unforgettable stay!

Warm regards
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

My preferred hotel! Best service where you can really feel unique! Everything is made to make you happy! From standart rooms to suites, all is fantastic ! Food is excellent and the best breakfast ever! 10 times that we went there and we will continue!

Stayed April 2014
miami
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

What can you say about a hotel that has repeatedly bee classified as one of the top in the world. This hotel is all about extraordinary service. Once you inform the elevator operator your room floor ,he will memorize your floor and press it for you without asking again and again.
First morning we were greeted for breakfast by the staff,I gave my room number and was immediately greeted by my name...no hidden ear contraption and no computer...the man had apparently memorized all the guests and room numbers!
You desire your shoes to be shined,just place them in the bin in your room and they will be shined and returned to the bin within 10 minutes.No need to call...there is apparently a mechanism that will inform the staff when you open the door of the bin.
The restaurants especially the "lord Jim" is very good
Also the spa,at the other side of the river has an excellent service. One experience not to be missed.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Despite martial law, a coup and a curfew, my first visit to Thailand was an amazing experience thanks to the extraordinary Mandarin Oriental. The service was exceptional, with the staff very quickly picking up on my needs and routines so that, for example, on arrival when it was obvious I was exhausted from a long journey they immediately offered an early (lunch time) turn down service so I could get some sleep straight away. The service was consistently friendly and impeccable, and the room was well appointed with a super-comfortable bed and a great view.

If, like me, you are a bit of a foodie, beware. The hotel's restaurants are so good you will be tempted to eat every meal on site. The three upscale restaurants, specialising in French, seafood and Chinese cuisine, are all magnificent and the food is good value as well as utterly delicious. The wine is pricey but the list is excellent and there are reasonable priced bottles to be found. Even the most casual restaurant, the Verandah, has a decent and varied menu of good quality freshly prepared food. Try the tomato tart starter: fantastic. There are other places to eat too but I didn't make it to them.

Overall, pretty much everything was as close to perfect as it is reasonable to expect any hotel to get.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I stay at the Oriental each time I am in Bangkok. And each time I am surprised how the extremely high quality of service is still improved with pleasant details. Small presents daily, macaroons at 5 pm in you room, just to name a few.
This time was special though, with the coup developing during my stay. The hotel staff delivered precise information on what was going on and good advice on how to deal with it. This is very precious, to have reliable information during a critical situation.
Once again, the Oriental proved itself one of the best hotels in the world.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business