“I was in need of luxury!”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Inverness, United Kingdom
“I was in need of luxury!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I had just completed the "Snowman Trek" in beautiful Bhutan and after 25 days camping I was in need of luxurious rest and repose. I certainly found it at this hotel in spite of a dubious welcome upon arrival. Perhaps it was my somewhat dishevelled appearance! "Are you sure you are at the right hotel" said the fellow, to which I replied "don't be silly, bring my bags to reception"!!!!
After that tiny hiccup, absolutely everything was perfection - the food, the excellent attention from all staff, the luxurious bedroom scrupulously clean. I was particularly impressed by the reception staff who remembered my name when they greeted me as I passed by. I met two Norwegian friends whom I had not seen for several years and to dine with them by the river was fabulous.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank therankinfile
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear therankinfile

Thank you very much for reviewing Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you had such a fantastic time. I regret to hear about your arrival experience; however I am delighted that you experienced the legendary Oriental service, following this incident and throughout your stay.

Please do let us know when your plans bring you back to Bangkok. I would be delighted to personally assist with the details of your stay to ensure another wonderful experience at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok.

Best Regards
Communications Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Lovely hotel, great location. Looking a bit tired now. A hub for the rich and famous in Bangkok. We had butler service which when order a pot of tea was over priced and over the top, Pool was good but not many loungers when busy. Food good though

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank deedeep1970
Dear deedeep1970

Thank you for sharing the experience of your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the location, magical ambiance and signature butler service. We all look forward to welcoming you back to ‘La Grande Dame’.

Sincerely yours
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We went for dinner because our adult children were leaving to go back to the uk the following day and we wanted to finish with something special. We were not disappointed. We has a table right beside the river and he staff were delightful. The food was great and good portions. This is our 2nd time for dinner here at the verandah and we will definitely be back. We have also been here for lunch and unfortunately service was slow and not great, so will go back for dinner but not for lunch.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alibaba1
Dear Alibaba1

Thank you for this truly wonderful review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! We are very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful dining experience at The Verandah overlooking the ‘River of Kings’. Thank you once more for this great review and we look forward to welcoming you back to ‘La Grande Dame’ soon!

Sincerely yours
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My Name is Jeroen van den Boomen and i just stayed 4 nights in room 1428 a bigger corner room with great view of the city and river , Nothing to much wrong with the room except for the dated furniture etc the floor carpet is full off stains and open bed table try to hide hunderds off cables, its not all bad because we had a private butler and thy where amazing . The rooms are in need TLC comparing of the other MO i stayed in,
But for me the worst place of the hotel is the terras overlooking the chao praya I stayed many times at the peninsula on the other side , but you can not compare the bric a brac that the Oriental made of one off the finest places to have breakfast , The rain cover arch looks like a temporarily build ugly tent and it is there already for years this in a combination off the cheapest plastic rattan furniture you can get and a outside deco don by a blind men its hart to believe thy can charge 1400 Bath ++ for breakfast just to compere we went to the Sukhuthai to have breakfast and it was under 1000 incl and i can say perfect peninsula even a bit cheaper than 1000 . But if you want to be amazed go to the Bamboo bar 3 glasses of chardonay 2600 Bath thats even more than the George CINQ in Paris At there bar , and there you dont have to be afraid to get electrocuted by cables behind the waitress desk that are just hanging there unsafe and bare for that bar i really have no more words i think it would be nice fit in a hotel in Albania 20 years ago . From there you can go to the smoking area its opposite the big airco unit on the floor , if you find a lampshade that is not dirty or standing straight on the lamp you have a better eye than i have got even the door handle is not even straight .

When i will get a reaction of my criticism please don't insult me that i don't understand your hotel chain because i already have been many times in your hotels in Hong Kong Manilla kuala lumpur Jakarta Tokyo my favorite by the way and Barcelona .

I really think the only good thing is the staff thy are extremly well trained a bit arrogant sometimes because nobody likes a complainer about small things like paying for WIFI but that is not even a problem paying for it no you have to renew it every single day .

Many greetings Jeroen van den Boomen from Bruges Belgium

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
13 Thank Basbali
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Basbali

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay and we regret that we have not been able to meet your expectations during your visit. This is certainly not the experience we want our valued guests to have while staying at ‘La Grande Dame’.

Please accept my apologies and thank you for your constructive feedback which will be investigated and corrective action taken as appropriate. The cover on the terrace is in fact a temporary one for the rainy season since we are unfortunately not allowed to erect a permanent structure. In regard to The Bamboo Bar, the menu is priced in line with the import and tax rates, which amounts to 400% for fine wines.

You mentioned that our butlers were ‘amazing’ which is much appreciated and I can only emphasize that we are keen to welcome any guest with a warm and genuine smile and that our team will go above and beyond to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and when your plans bring you back to Bangkok, please let me know and I would be pleased to help with the necessary arrangements.

Yours sincerely
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Why would the best business hotel in Asia want to tarnish the experience with high internet charges? I only wanted to check a few emails. I struggle to write about my level of annoyance of what is effectively a 5% up charge of the daily rate room rate for Wi Fi access ...a service which most hotels provide for free. It's all about the experience and this experience is shabby. Please look after you guests as your product and branding has always been exceptional.

Regards

Brian

Stayed July 2014
29 Thank Brian E
Dear Brian E

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok and I regret to learn about your Wi-Fi experience. With regards to the Internet, while some hotels may offer complimentary Internet access, this can be limited in terms of low bandwidth, security level and signal which would be unacceptable in a luxury hotel. Guests who would like to check a few emails; a complimentary 15 minute internet access is offered at our business centre. I regret if this was not communicated during your check-in.

We assure you that we will continue to invest in this technology to offer our guests the quality of service with the performance and security that you would expect of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We sincerely hope you will afford us another opportunity in the future with a return visit.

Warm regards
houston, tx
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had a two bedroom suite, with a great view of the river and it was a surprisingly good value. Our butler's attention to detail went over above and beyond the ordinary 9he even cleaned our hairbrushes!). The rooms were comfortable and most of our meals were consumed at the hotel, since the military coup was in progress while we were there. The only issue I have is the location, which is a rather hairy cab ride from the main attractions and the wats. But, it was a relaxing and lovely hotel with old world door keys and charm.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ROmom
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear ROmom

Thank you for this fantastic review of ‘La Grande Dame’. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the magical atmosphere along the 'River of Kings'. Regarding transportation, we are located near the Saphan Taksin Sky Train station, which offers a convenient access to the local attractions. In addition, the river offers a fabulous experience to discover the Grand Palace and most of the iconic Temples by long tail boat – a definite must try.

Please do let us know when your plans bring you back to Bangkok. I would be delighted to assist with the details of your stay to ensure another wonderful experience at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok.

Warm regards,
Caruaru, PE
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Just got back from Bangkok, where I've been for 4 days as I'm in around the world trip.
I had the huge pleasure to stay at the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok "La grand damme" for 2 night and I can guarantee that it was one of my best experiences about hotels. I was received by the General manager Amanda Hyndman who was very elegant.
They give a lot of importance for every single detail and it makes all the difference. All the staff know ourselves by out names, we always find a smile on their face, and they are always ready to help and find whatever we need or want.
As I travel a lot, I need to use the concierge services some times and they were always very helpful and extremely elegant.
The elegance of the room and view is surreal, we truly stay in high style when we chose Mandarin Oriental.
The restaurant options are great!
They also offer a boat to bring us around the river.
The hotel is localized in the best part of Bangkok and offer great spa services. I need to stay in hotels with a good fitness center, as It's a must for me, and I got surprised with the one that they have.
Well, we are talking about one of the most prestigious 5 star brands!
It's not just a stay, it's a lifestyle chose!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank AntonioSantos
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear AntonioSantos

Wow! Thank you very much for this stunning review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay and that you particularly enjoyed the legendary service, and elegant Oriental style. We hope to welcome you back for another exquisite stay at ‘La Grande Dame’ in the near future!

Best Regards