“Midsummer Haven”

Ranked #2 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
Sydney
“Midsummer Haven”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We enjoyed three fabulous nights at the MO Bangkok back in April.The city was blisteringly hot and there really is no finer place to retreat to after a busy day of sight-seeing. The hotel was beautifully quiet and the service as exceptional as my last visit five or six years ago.

Little details (complimentary coconut ice-cream) and the usual efforts of the magnificent staff make this place a cut above anywhere else I have stayed.

The cocktail party was an additional bonus and a delight to meet the French manager (or assistant manager?) whilst enjoying cocktails and fabulous canapes.

When next back in Bangkok I really couldn't possibly look to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Deluxe room which was beautiful and had fantastic views down the river (as I think mo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MOBangkok, Communications Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear James M

Thank you for sharing your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, in particular the culinary delights, legendary Oriental service and the General Manager’s Cocktail Party. We look forward to welcoming you back for more indulgent stays in the future!

Sincerely yours
Communications Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Petts Wood
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My family and I have just returned from our holiday in Thailand. We stayed in the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok for 4 days. The hotel is a wonderful oasis in the middle of the city.Everything about the hotel is fantastic, our highlights were the Bamboo bar with live jazz every evening and the service which is outstanding. We have been to Bangkok several times and on our next visit this is where we will stay without a doubt.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank francesmcc
Dear francesmcc

Thank you very much for your excellent review on Tripadvisor and for considering Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok a “wonderful oasis in the middle of the city”. It is indeed a pleasure reading your comments of appreciation with regards to the iconic Bamboo Bar, which I shared with our team. We really look forward to welcoming you back again to ‘La Grande Dame’, in the very near future.

Kind regards,
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Oriental Hotel was built em 1875 and was the home of many celebrities while in Bangkok..The Mandarim Group took over and and all that a luxury stay is required, you will find in this excelent, marvellous hotel on the borders of the Chao Praya river ! Across the river,taken by a slow tipical boat, the famous spa offers all that you can imagine in fitness; the entrance hall, a display of exotic flowers; rooms with personalised attendance has everything that you might need away from home; restaurants ? you can choose among 11 diferent bars and restaurants...boutiques ? many...Employers ? Always smiling and doing their best to serve you...

Room Tip: all the rooms are excellent...all the bathrooms are excellent... but , expensive ..
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear kikinsg

Wow! Thank you very much for this stunning review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok! I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay and that you particularly enjoyed the legendary Oriental service, culinary delights and our iconic Oriental Spa. We hope to welcome you back for another exquisite stay at ‘La Grande Dame’ in the future!

Best Regards
los angeles
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was my second visit to Bangkok. Previously we stayed at Shangri la Hotel near Mandarin Oriental, which we both did not like. This time I made the right choice and spent four wonderful nights at this incredible hotel with my family. We were having scheduling difficulty, given the fact our reservation needed special assistance. I was amazed how well and fast hotel granted our request and accommodated us in prompt and proper manner. Already, we had feelings of relief and gratitude. Thank you! We were there at the end of June, during military curfew (which we had no problem arriving after midnight from the airport). It was also low rainy season and after touring a couple of sights on the first day we pretty much decided not to leave the hotel. Our days were spent in the on the hotel grounds, mainly in the pool cabana, enjoying the peace, quiet, treats and ice cream pool service was passing around. We enjoyed wonderful lunch Thai cuisine by the pool as well. As a matter of fact there was one Australian couple who did the same thing. The pool was practically empty for most parts until last day of our stay when one Australian woman decided to FaceTime someone and was talking so loud that got so obnoxious. I walked up to her and asked if she can use her room for this as we are not interested in hearing her conversation. Lol. This gave me thumbs up from another guest. Even when it rained we were still in our cabana and we loved resting in the lush green oasis in the middle of humid, busy city. This was a total treat. We had a semi corner room with partial river view, normal size with extra rollaway bed. The bathroom was very nice, clean and had all little things you need in addition: a wonderful Thai bath oil, and inflating pillow for the plane ride (how thoughtful). Everyday we got different fruit delivered to our room and daily treats from chocolates to cookies etc. Before bed time I would find a flower with a message on all pillows. Just a darling touch. The housekeeping service was wonderful. They even cleaned hair of my hair brush, wow! We used their gym which is on the other side of the river (short boat ride) and it was also very nice, clean and well air conditioned. Staff was present at all times and was helpful with training and set up for my 11 year old. Cold water, ice towels were provided. The spa was around the corner, it was incredible! Also on the other side there was another restaurant where we had their lunch buffet and it was fantastic! Perfect way to taste all types of Thai dishes. The buffet was not overwhelming but elegant, beautifully set, clean and inside chafing dishes you found small portions so they replenished freshly made food right after. Wonderful selection of creative deserts and fruit. We had breakfast in their indoor and outdoor restaurants and it was just perfect! Dinner by the river was perfect too. Incredible hotel lobby, superb service, excellent attention to details. This hotel just gets it! I am a tough critic and I must say our stay was perfect and flawless. Next time in Bangkok I wouldn't stay anywhere else but here. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank savvygirlLosAngeles
Dear savvygirlLosAngeles

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us following your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. I am delighted to read how much you appreciated your time at ‘La Grande Dame’. I have shared your compliments with the ‘Oriental Family’, and everyone was thrilled to hear your excellent feedback. Once again thank you for your heartfelt recommendation.

When your plans bring you back to Bangkok, please let me know and I would be pleased to help with the necessary arrangements.

Sincerely yours,
Westerlo, Belgium
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed in the Mandarin in the beginning of July 2014. After a nightflight from Europe we arrived very early : no problem at all to get our rooms , even at 7AM , without extra charge.
Rooms are very nice , very good restaurants (on both sides of the river , with a water taxi between them). Was there during my birthday : they didn't forget : got a nice birthday cake in my room.
But what makes it perfect , is the service , as well in the restaurants , in the lobby and especially from the floor butler.
Will certainly come back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Edith S
Atlanta
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

It is my first trip in Asia. I've booked in Mandarin Oriental because it seemed to be a luxurious hotel in the central part of Bangkok by the river. I was really impressed from the hotel. It was the absolutely perfect and relaxing experience. Everything is great - room, food and extremely friendly staff. I surely recommend it!

• Stayed August 2014
geneva
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Have been going to the Oriental for many years.This trip was again brilliant.Service is one of a kind,Verandah food has got even better and nothing is too much for them.They even managed to give me my favorite room on a floor which was I think supposedely closed.
The other reviews have said it all but I would like to make one comment.Bangkok and especially Bangkok tourism is having a tough time.The Oriental must be complimented by keeping such a level of quality in a very depressed market.They are not cutting corners and on the contrary seem to be getting even better.Will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family