“Absolutely Perfect”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #3 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 6 March 2009

We arrived at the Mandarin around midnight from Sydney, Australia. When we arrived in the room and the Porter drew back the curtains, the view was breathtaking, just absolutely lovely. We had a riverview room and it was exactly as it looked on the website. We had great expectations from this Hotel having stayed at Raffles in Singapore on the way out to Australia. The staff could not do enough for you and everywhere you went in the Hotel, they were there to assist you in every way.
The rooms were very nice, lovely comfy pillows and excellent bedlinen. Breakfast in the morning was wonderful, catering for everyone and to sit beside the river was just a dream. The swimming pool is excellent with another smaller one for the children. We went on an evening dinner cruise on the river which was very good. We were brave enough to use the Tuk Tuks, just arrange the price beforehand, great fun! We would definitely go back, the stay at the Mandarin completed our 4 weeks dream holiday. Would love to go back again, it is on our list!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank harnan17

Reviewed 5 March 2009

Back to the Oriental after a gap of 6 years, for 3 nights just before Christmas. They clearly have an excellent customer management system as we had a "welcome back" bottle of champagne and note from the manager in our room on arrival. The 4 of us (including 2 children of 10 and 6) had conecting Superior River Wing rooms. Whilst they are a little cosy if booked on their own, when opened up with connecting doors we had a wonderful space in which to stay.
The rooms were looking clean and smart. Great bathrooms. Excellent Bose sound system (not sure the neighbours appreciated the huge sub-woofer under our bed...). The children were well looked after with childrens' robes, teddies etc. The butler service meant that every request was dealt with efficiently and effectively. Paying for WiFi was a bit irritating.
Breakfast and dinner on the terrace were a highlight. Breakfast was good, although I would have liked more Asian choice, and the egg station sometimes got swamped. The dinner buffet is quite rightly a Bangkok institution, and it is a wonderful place to sit and watch the party boats and rice barges chug up and down the river.
The staff are superb throughout the hotel. The only very minor glitch was the suggestions from one of the concierges as to which shopping malls to go to, as everything had changed from our last visit. These turned out to be rather useless suggestions, but all was put right by one of her colleagues later that day.
We spent quite a lot of time by the pool, in the beautiful gardens. The sunbeds were getting quite full up as the hotel was nearing 100% occupancy at Christmas. The pool staff are very friendly and efficient and will do everything to help you out.
All in all a wonderful stay and good value. Hugely friendly and welcoming staff. It is difficult to see why anyone would stay anywhere else in Bangkok for the same price.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Voyager212
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We spent 3 nights at this hotel between 9 - 12 February and loved everything about it. Although a top hotel with beautiful decor and rooms, the atmosphere was not in the least stuffy.
All staff, from our arrival to departure could not have been more helpful, friendly or courteous.
We had a quick look at the Peninsula Hotel across the river and found the public areas quite sterile in comparison.

Reviewed 9 February 2009

Before you stay at The Oriental in Bangkok, be sure you know what the hotel is like.

The Oriental is grandeous, old fashioned, well maintained and service is excellent.

But beware that walking through the lobby in t-shirt, shorts and sandals on your way to the pool or for a stroll in the city, could make you feel rather wrong-placed, in the midst of diplomats, government officials and the 10-20 something staff stationed in the lobby area.

Besides this, the hotel is excellent. Rooms are great, although the hotel would probably be a little less maximalistic if built today. Fresh fruit in the room, towel service impeccable. and a butler who knows your name are among the great plus. Not to forget, the fantastic jazz concert in the pub at ground floor, with an american singer/actress entertaining with a band of four/five. Truly great!

If you are in the zen-minimalistic style search, try one of the more modern hotels in Bangkok.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
6  Thank OsloNorway
Reviewed 6 February 2009

My daughter and I took eight days at the Hotel and I can not fault anything. They did know us by name and the elevator guard knew our floor. The butler arranged a dvd player for us and checked that our room was prepared as we liked it each day. The attention to detail and service were without fault. We were returning from the pool in our robes and passed an employee in the hall. He observed that my daughter's robe was a tad too long and arranged within minutes a smaller one. On another occasion, a different staff member observed that her slippers had been wet and so a new pair were provided to her without prompting. We spent many days by the pool and could happily take up residence there.

May I recommend to anyone with a spare morning to take a cooking lesson at the school. The instructor has a very special gift that can not be explained in words. All I can say is that you will have one of the most memorable days (or weeks).

The spa also did not disappoint. Both my 10year old daughter (which is extremely rare) and I were warmly welcomed and we enjoyed our treatments thoroughly.

The other must is high tea. We took the thai version. The waitresses were very obliging and did not hurry us at all. They saw that we were copying down the menu for my daughter's diary and they arranged a copy so that we didn't have to work whilst also enjoying our high tea.

We ate at the Thai a la carte and found the staff to be very attentive and efficient as well as extremely friendly. My daughter was permitted to watch the thai dancing even though we were not taking the buffet and they arranged for our meals to be returned to the kitchen whilst we watched the dancing. The staff also arrange for us to be moved a couple of times due to smokers. THis may be my only issue with the Oriental. There are no non-smoking areas in the open air restaurants. I am used to there being such sections and was quite put out when patrons at the next table would just light up!

I briefly used the business centre and could only comment that what I saw and experienced was fabulous.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and we will definitely be back to take a week long cooking course in July.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Lucymama
Reviewed 30 January 2009

This is the 2nd year when we went back to the Oriental for Chinese New Year.

It is still the best hotel we have been to so far in terms of quality of service. The other thing good about this hotel is that albeit this is a city hotel, it also gives us the feel of a resort hotel.

One thing worth mentioning is that we saw someone feeding the fish using their bread from breakfast at the open air cafe next to the river. We did the same using some leftover bread we had but did not dare to do it openly for fear that this might not be allowed at the hotel. Then, a waiter came along. We thought he was going to tell us off but unexpectedly, he brought us a plate of bread to allow us to feed the fish. This was a nice and unexpected surprise to us. Other guests joined in and he brought them bread as well. As a result, my father (aged 83), my mother (aged 76), my daughter (aged 11), my wife and I all had great fun feeding the fish at a world's best hotel. The next day we went back when breakfast was almost close. When the staff saw my daughter and I each took a piece of bread from the buffet counter to feed the fish, they brought us a whole basket full of bread to enable us to do so. This was an even more unexpected nice surprise from the hotel and its staff, and this is something which makes it different from all other hotels in the world we've been to.

Two other things worth mentioning are that during the first morning we had our breakfast, since it was the first day of the Chinese New Year and like many Chinese, my mom would only eat vegetarian food on that day. So my wife ordered some plain rice and steamed vegetable for my mom. The next day when we came back. As soon as we sat down, albeit we were sitting at a different table and served by a different waitress, the waitress who served us the day before recognised us and immediately came over and asked if we would like the same kind of food for my mom. The second thing is that when breakfast would be close soon, in each of the hotels we have visited so far, the guests would simply be told that the breakfast would be close soon so that if they need to anything else, they had to do so quickly from the serving counters but for this hotel, the difference it makes from the other hotels is that the guests will also be told that if there is anything else they need, the waiter/waiter would bring them from the kitchen so that they will not feel it is necessary for them to take the food from the serving counters quickly or that they have to go soon. These may be little things but I think they make a difference in terms of service it provides to its guests and I hope this hotel could keep this up.

Last year when we'd been to this Hotel, everytime, when we went back to our room, I do not know whether it was a coincidence or not, the Butler would always appear by the lift (i.e. before we reached our room) and greet us to make us feel really at home, but this year, we hardly saw our Butler until he was bussed. This is the only thing I can think of which I think this hotel could do to continue to make sure that it stands out from the other top hotels in the world.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank hotelgoer168
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Mandarin Oriental is a fantastic, classy place to stay. It is quite close to the Sky Train which can be reached using their courtesy boat and which then allows access to places like Jim Thompson's house which is a real must for any visit. The hotel is on two sides of the river with another courtesy boat to take you across to the spa and restaurant across the river. Service was excellent with a floor level butler who looked after us - even drying and cleaning my boat shoes which took a bit of a battering in Khao Sok during some pot-holing.

We enjoyed drinks in the evening - a couple of great cocktails while looking out across the river - a really great ambience. WHilst not cheap (nothing is in this hotel) we organised a deal through the "What a hotel" US website which gave us late check-out (6pm) breakfast and lunch across the river as part of the deal. The buffet lunch was one of the best Thai meals we had so highly recommended. Breakfast was also fantastic and we upgraded to the buffet with lots of different foods, cafe latte etc and many dishes cooked to order.

Go for the service and the luxury - but be prepared to pay!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Existential_Tourist