Not blown away by what is reputed to be one of the world’s best hotels.
Rooms: I was upgraded to a Deluxe Garden Wing room. Decent sized room overlooking the river. A desk in a small separate area. TV not flat screen and bit small for the room size. Saw the River Wing room I had originally booked – smaller and dull design – so yes, this room was better apart from the bathroom.
This was absurdly miniscule, basically a cupboard. And tired. This was perhaps the most notable black mark.
Food: was good. Had some great spicy lobster and local fish. The breakfast by the river is fabulous.
Spa: very special. It’s across the river from the hotel, reached by the hotel boats, which leave every few minutes. It’s an atmospheric traditional Thai-style design with great therapists and fabulous massages.
Pool very good too. Big and pool staff very attentive.
Service: Helpful, bright and swift. You never have to call a lift or open a door – excellent.
Overall, I just felt it lacked a certain something. The old wing has a pleasant feel with wicker furniture and colonial charm, but much of the hotel felt bland and pedestrian. There was a convention, which pretty much took over and gave the place a Holiday Inn feel.
Value: This is much more expensive than most Bangkok hotels. Not sure if it is really worth the premium.
Maybe my expectations were too high. I would go back again – next time with partner and perhaps it would be better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1876 and ideally located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, has been an inspiration to a host of world-renowned writers from Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maughamto Wilbur Smith and John Le Carre. Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok boasts an international reputation for splendid service, style and grace and facilities including eight restaurants. The hotel's private teakwood shuttle boats provide daily access to the world famous Thai Cooking School, the hotel's Thai restaurant, the award-winning Oriental Spa and Health Centre located across the River; as well as the nearest skytrain station (SaphanTaksin) and River City Shopping Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, Agoda, Southall Travel, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Mandarin Oriental