This is a very reputable hotel, and there is a lot to say for it. That is why I gave it 4 stars. However, my experience there was really more of a 3 star experience. I was terribly disappointed in the Oriental. While it does have a super location and incredible history, plus some pretty gorgeous wooden water ferries, the service was consistantly disappointing. The rooms were disappointing (we had 2 in different wings). One was tiny and had an insect problem, the other was just grimy. There seemed to have been a failure in management, as the staff seemed to want to be helpful but just didn't have the proper training in many instances. example: failing to offer assistance to a wheelchair-bound guest that we saw struggling day after day to get to breakfast. example: suggesting the the insect problem was just a common thing that came from plumbing and that we should just run the sink a little. Staff was well-meaning but clueless. Management was disinterested, even after a meeting. Apparently they had a few high profile guests in residence at the time and that was more compelling. In general, it was not what it should have been and I would not return. There are cool wooden water ferries at the hotel across the river, too - try another hotel for your Bangkok experience. This one was not worth the considerable expense.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1876 and ideally located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, has been an inspiration to a host of world-renowned writers from Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maughamto Wilbur Smith and John Le Carre. Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok boasts an international reputation for splendid service, style and grace and facilities including eight restaurants. The hotel's private teakwood shuttle boats provide daily access to the world famous Thai Cooking School, the hotel's Thai restaurant, the award-winning Oriental Spa and Health Centre located across the River; as well as the nearest skytrain station (SaphanTaksin) and River City Shopping Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Travelbag, Mandarin Oriental, Priceline, Southall Travel, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Mandarin Oriental