“amazing hotel”

Ranked #2 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
philippines
“amazing hotel”
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Mandarin Hotel is always my first choice, this is prolly the best Madarin hotel in asia pacific. I would go back here again, so romantic, had dinner at lord jim's pretty good, then we had a boat ride, we're lucky bec. no one was there just us alone in the boat, so amazing. We stayed overnight too short, I was rushing the next day and the floor butler pack my clothes. I had a great time at The Oriental.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fashionbabe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 8 April 2010

A true legend, the Oriental has everything down pat. It may not be the newest, shiniest hotel, but it has character, charm and impeccable service, and that to me, is worth much more. Loved our duplex premier room with thai silk adornments, just the right amount of local flavour without being gaudy. Our butler took great care of us, always there but never obtrusive. We had lovely views over the pool and river, and enjoyed lunch on the terrace. Everything works without a hitch at the Oriental. I adore the history of the hotel; family members took one of the authors suites and it was, needless to say, stunning.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Carly83
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 3 April 2010

there are no comparisons with the best hotels in Asia in any part of the World.
Its the small touches that make it so. The orchids on the pillow but what never ceased to amaze me were the fact the Doormen seemed to know where you would be going and coming from. Quiet remarkable. The views well they are just magical.

Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobertsonTours
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Stayed 4 nights. It was my first visit to this hotel and I was a bit hesitant after reading the mixed reviews. I needn’t have worried. This is a really lovely hotel that combines heritage and character with modern luxury. The location, amenities, comfort levels, and the fabulous service, made staying here feel like an indulgence. Terribly expensive, but it does deliver an exceptional experience.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank mladww
Peterborough
Reviewed 26 March 2010

After a 1 hour car journey from the airport (Bangkok traffic is horrific) we were in need of an oasis of calm in the 36C heat of Bangkok.
Over 3 days, The Oriental never once disapointed.
The staff were 100% friendly, helpful & attentive. A member of staff in Thai costume ushered us into the lift with a dramatic flourish everytime.
Anything you needed, the concierge sorted it out. I have no idea how other reviewers have faulted the service. Just ask & they do it! With a smile.
The food, from the huge buffet breakfast to dinner on the river terrace was superb. The table service was faultless at all times.
We were even offered a complimentary lunch across the river from one of the biggest & best buffets I've yet to encounter.
The real highlight of our stay was The Bamboo Bar. Drinking cocktails to some of the very finest live jazz I've ever heard was the icing on the cake for my wife & I.
None of this comes cheaply of course, but compaired to other 5* hotels, the Oriental wins every time. The one fault? Internet access really should be free.
Would we come back? In a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve-the-diver
Belgium
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I used to live in Bangkok 20 years ago, often went to hotel Oriental to have dinner on the terrace by the river or a drink in the Bamboo bar. Returning to Bangkok for the first time in 20 years, I absolutely wanted to stay in Hotel Oriental but was a bit afraid of becoming disappointed, would all the renovations have taken away the magic atmosphere of the hotel? In fact no! Both me and my husband was so pleased with everything, the friendliness of the staff, the fantastic service and the wonderful buffet breakfast on the terrace and the buffet lunch across the river. We will be back again!

Agneta and Pablo
Brussels, Belgium

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AgnetaBrussels
London
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We used to come to this hotel for decades and it used to be the best hotel in town. This does not seem to be the case anymore - we stayed for one night for a family function. The check in staff were very unfriendly and gave us the impression that we should be happy to being 'allowed' to stay in the hotel. They confused our reservation and gave guests the wrong rooms.

Also the pool side staff were not very friendly.

The superior rooms were very nice, the bed was lovely and comfy.

I don't think i will be returning to this hotel in a while, because you expect an excellent service for that money.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family