“MO Bangkok is a classic....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Macau
“MO Bangkok is a classic....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2010

MO Bangkok is a classic…
My husband and I got married in their Author’s building, which is a century-old colonial style building. We had such a nice party!
The service is superb. And one of the biggest plus about this hotel is that they have a very nice Jazz bad – the Bamboo Bar – I can say it’s one of the best Jazz bars in Asia.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank BossanovaMacau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2010

We arrived in Bangkok after spending 4 incredible days in Chiang Rai. I had not been to the MO before and I was expecting a lot. My wife and I arrived around noon and were planning 2 relaxing days there before heading home.

Our plan included lunch, but they did not tell us that it was a buffet lunch on the other side of the river. My wife and I do not care of buffet's so we opted to pay for lunch at the Veranda patio restaurant. The restaurant was pretty and you sit on the river's edge. The temp was about 90 degrees, but we did not mind that except that waiter were all in suits and ties and looked ridiculous. The were subservient to the extent that we felt uncomfortable. The food was terrible, in fact the ceasar salad was drenched in so much dressing that both my wife and I were both feeling ill the rest of the day. We felt so bad that we decided not to go out, but sit by the pool.

The pool water was about 100 degrees. The pool service was mediocre at best, not on par with even mid-class hotels.

The room was Ok, not great, but not near the top of what we have seen at this price of hotels. Also, i was awaken in the middle of the night by the next rooms phone call at 3:00 am. The walls were so thin that i could hear every single word of the business conversation and the guy was not talking too loud.

I ended up spending the rest of the night, re-arranging my trip with my travel agent via e-mails so i could get out first thing the next morning.

Nothing about this hotel was a 5 star experience. Even the famous Cigar Divan was run by a young girl, who did not know a cigar from a cigarette.

That about sums it up.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank casa360
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

I say that if you have not been to the Oriental you do not know what hotel service means!!!!!rooms are very nice and of a good size! the location is the best!!!! the food is an experience!!! this is a very expensive hotel but worth every penny!

Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank SotiriosB
froth007
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2010

I have seen many reviews of this hotel but I wanted to add my recent New Year experience.

It was my third time at the Oriental Hotel and I must say there was a frisson of anticpation for both my husband and I.

We have stayed at the Oriental Hotel before but this time I was also taking my parents with me. It was a special trip for us and we were not disapointed. What is always amazing at the Oriental is the service. It is everything there (from the front desk to the floor staff, the floor butler , the restaurant staff etc there is no fault) and it makes this hotel what it is. I have been to many five stars international luxury hotels in the world but no hotel is like this for me.

As they knew it was a special trip for us, they placed a bottle of champagne in the room with a bouquet of beautiful flowers. Throughout our trip we got fresh flowers in our rooms and when we had a little problem with the wifi they apologized by giving us beautiful orchid.

We were there over New Year and the celebration over the river were amazing. Great food (buffet - amazing Thai restaurant and a really good looking Thai maitre d'), great band, fireworks and a real party atmostphere! A few days later the hotel organised a wonderful cocktail (buffet with savoury and sweet French, Italian, Japanese, chinese and thai food) we listened to a jazz band and a classical ensemble (taking it in turn) and of course it ended with beautiful firework over the river.

We tried all the resturants save for the French and Seafood restaurants. All the one we went to (Italian, Thai, main restaurant and cafe) were great.

The only thing that has changed and that I missed since last time I've been is the smell...There used to be an amazing fragrance of flowers (I am guessing jasmin and some lemongrass maybe) everywhere you went and in particular in the lobby. Throughout the years I started associating this fragrance with the Oriental and my wonderful holiday there. I even started looking for a similar Jasmin fragrance to put in my home back in the UK. Now for some reason it does not smell anything in the Oriental lobby and the magical fragrance is gone.

Overall I must say our trip felt magical. After the hustle and bustle of Bangkok streets, we could always go back to the comfort and luxury of the Oriental hotel knowing that they would take care of us in the most amazing manner. I am planning to go back again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank froth007
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

Excellent Service, would say as good as anywhere in the world except... stopped by for a long weekend with reserved spa day scheduled in advance for a Monday. On early Monday morning the hotel called us to cancel our spa appointments, was not happy as that is why we chose the hotel. Had sharp albeit polite discussion with manager who relented and restored just two of our five scheduled treatments. At the spa, the masseurs told us that we had been cancelled because they had no other appointments that day, so they tried to save money by closing the spa. We had to go to an external spa that day at great inconvenience.

The rooms are very comfortable and clean, and the tea service in the writers' lounge in the old wing is incomparable in quality and service.

Prior to this, used to stay regularly at Mandarin hotels in Asia and the U.S., however have not returned to one since this service travesty.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ExpectGreat
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

Well, it is not the first time someone writes about how great this hotel is and how impeccable the services are. I don't think I need to repeat the praises that everyone have been writing here. I am simply going to share a recent experience with you all.

Today is 10th April and I have decided to take the family out to Siam Paragon for a bit of shopping as well as visiting the aquarium. Knowing the Red Shirts (UDD) are still protesting around the area, we checked with the Hotel Concierge about the situation.

We were warned that while the situation is quite calm in the morning, anything can happen and we are to be careful and mindful of the situation.

At around 2:25pm, while shopping in Siam Paragon, we were told that the shopping mall will be closed in 5 minutes due to the army's crack down on the protesters nearby. We immediately left the mall but realised that the roads surrounding the area were closed off and the BTS Sky train station was also closed. Not knowing what to do, I called the hotel immediately, it was then I realised I already have 2 unknown missed calls on my mobile phone. Apparently, the Concierge team was aware that I have taken my family to Siam Paragon and was trying to get in contact with me when the news broke. When I wasn't picking up, they have deployed a Hotel Van to the area on standby. When I finally got in contact with the hotel, I was then given clear direction to walk to a nearby hotel, where the staff of that hotel was also notified and was expecting us. Upon arrival, we were escorted to the Mandarin Van and was driven back to the hotel.

I am now writing this review in the calm environment of my hotel room while watching the news on what is going on out there. I am so glad that I have decided to stay at this hotel.

I am speechless.

This has got to be one of the best concierge team in the world.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
9 Thank Quadpax
philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

Mandarin Hotel is always my first choice, this is prolly the best Madarin hotel in asia pacific. I would go back here again, so romantic, had dinner at lord jim's pretty good, then we had a boat ride, we're lucky bec. no one was there just us alone in the boat, so amazing. We stayed overnight too short, I was rushing the next day and the floor butler pack my clothes. I had a great time at The Oriental.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple