“Back it up..”

Ranked #2 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Dallas, TX
“Back it up..”
Reviewed 17 May 2010

The hotel will captivate you once you arrive. Everything from the natural stone to the pillars to the throw pillows make sense. I was mesmerized and enjoyed the natural setting the hotel was in. It flowed with beauty and grace. The rooms were immaculate and spacious. The employees were amazingly attentive. The food was delicious as usual. I will come back.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
London
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I won't write a book on this as everyone pretty much is saying the same thing: only the best place I have ever stayed in. Without a match! We've been at the Banyan Tree Bangkok, which was stunning in many ways, before and then twice at the Mandarin and its a place we will always come back to.

Service: hotel owners should go to see what service should look like! Amazing, non evasive, and surprising at every step! We stayed two nights and left for two weeks, when we came back, the pool boys knew our names and where we've been! It doesn't matter whether they have supberb memories, or simply check in the their system.....amazing.

Food: Thai restaurant is amazing. You will never have better breakfast anywhere: worth every penny. Snacks are great too.

Rooms: I am personally not a supporter of this type of style but everything you could wish for is there! Well equipped, and amazingly set up.

Consierge: great. This is very important when in a new and big city, as they will tell you what is good and where to get how.

I would recommend this to anyone, and say that you have to experience this once in a life time. I haven't personally been, but a person from our group said the spa was amazing.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelDuchemin
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2010

This is a fabulous hotel. On arrival there is no time wasted checking in at the front desk. You are escorted to your room where you can sit in comfort while a Mandarin hotel operative takes down your details. The rooms are stunning and bathrooms opulent. The service throughout the hotel is exemplary. The restaurants are superb from the five star Normandy Grill, to wonderful seafood at Lord Jim's to mouthwatering dim sum at The China House and delectable Western and Thai fare on the Verandah. Then post dinner you can kick bar with a cocktail at the intimate Bamboo Bar and listen to some fine jazz. This is an exceptional hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Henry64Chelsea
Macau
Reviewed 29 April 2010

MO Bangkok is a classic…
My husband and I got married in their Author’s building, which is a century-old colonial style building. We had such a nice party!
The service is superb. And one of the biggest plus about this hotel is that they have a very nice Jazz bad – the Bamboo Bar – I can say it’s one of the best Jazz bars in Asia.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank BossanovaMacau
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 April 2010

We arrived in Bangkok after spending 4 incredible days in Chiang Rai. I had not been to the MO before and I was expecting a lot. My wife and I arrived around noon and were planning 2 relaxing days there before heading home.

Our plan included lunch, but they did not tell us that it was a buffet lunch on the other side of the river. My wife and I do not care of buffet's so we opted to pay for lunch at the Veranda patio restaurant. The restaurant was pretty and you sit on the river's edge. The temp was about 90 degrees, but we did not mind that except that waiter were all in suits and ties and looked ridiculous. The were subservient to the extent that we felt uncomfortable. The food was terrible, in fact the ceasar salad was drenched in so much dressing that both my wife and I were both feeling ill the rest of the day. We felt so bad that we decided not to go out, but sit by the pool.

The pool water was about 100 degrees. The pool service was mediocre at best, not on par with even mid-class hotels.

The room was Ok, not great, but not near the top of what we have seen at this price of hotels. Also, i was awaken in the middle of the night by the next rooms phone call at 3:00 am. The walls were so thin that i could hear every single word of the business conversation and the guy was not talking too loud.

I ended up spending the rest of the night, re-arranging my trip with my travel agent via e-mails so i could get out first thing the next morning.

Nothing about this hotel was a 5 star experience. Even the famous Cigar Divan was run by a young girl, who did not know a cigar from a cigarette.

That about sums it up.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank casa360
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I say that if you have not been to the Oriental you do not know what hotel service means!!!!!rooms are very nice and of a good size! the location is the best!!!! the food is an experience!!! this is a very expensive hotel but worth every penny!

Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank SotiriosB
froth007
Reviewed 22 April 2010

I have seen many reviews of this hotel but I wanted to add my recent New Year experience.

It was my third time at the Oriental Hotel and I must say there was a frisson of anticpation for both my husband and I.

We have stayed at the Oriental Hotel before but this time I was also taking my parents with me. It was a special trip for us and we were not disapointed. What is always amazing at the Oriental is the service. It is everything there (from the front desk to the floor staff, the floor butler , the restaurant staff etc there is no fault) and it makes this hotel what it is. I have been to many five stars international luxury hotels in the world but no hotel is like this for me.

As they knew it was a special trip for us, they placed a bottle of champagne in the room with a bouquet of beautiful flowers. Throughout our trip we got fresh flowers in our rooms and when we had a little problem with the wifi they apologized by giving us beautiful orchid.

We were there over New Year and the celebration over the river were amazing. Great food (buffet - amazing Thai restaurant and a really good looking Thai maitre d'), great band, fireworks and a real party atmostphere! A few days later the hotel organised a wonderful cocktail (buffet with savoury and sweet French, Italian, Japanese, chinese and thai food) we listened to a jazz band and a classical ensemble (taking it in turn) and of course it ended with beautiful firework over the river.

We tried all the resturants save for the French and Seafood restaurants. All the one we went to (Italian, Thai, main restaurant and cafe) were great.

The only thing that has changed and that I missed since last time I've been is the smell...There used to be an amazing fragrance of flowers (I am guessing jasmin and some lemongrass maybe) everywhere you went and in particular in the lobby. Throughout the years I started associating this fragrance with the Oriental and my wonderful holiday there. I even started looking for a similar Jasmin fragrance to put in my home back in the UK. Now for some reason it does not smell anything in the Oriental lobby and the magical fragrance is gone.

Overall I must say our trip felt magical. After the hustle and bustle of Bangkok streets, we could always go back to the comfort and luxury of the Oriental hotel knowing that they would take care of us in the most amazing manner. I am planning to go back again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple