“Excellent Thai dance and food on Sundays and...”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Thai dance and food on Sundays and...”
Reviewed 25 February 2011

We went out for dinner and enjoyed excellent Thai dances and food on a Sunday evening. The weather was lovely and we truly enjoyed the fabulous Thai dishes, colourful dresses and brilliant service by the remarkable team. They even knew our names after a minute. It felt so personal.

Thank you so much for making our night out so fantastic.

We even returned for breakfast a few days later... The restaurant was very deserted and we could have a table by the river without reservation. Great.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
nyc
Reviewed 20 February 2011

what a gem! you feel like royalty. the staff is astounding. we never told the man on the lobby level what floor we were on - yet when we entered the elevator he jumped in to press our floor. i asked how he knew our floor and his reponse was " i watched you come down madame". come on! every day when i would go to use the hair dryer the wire was wrapped around it as if it came right out of the box - EVERY day! this place is unreal. we were there christmas time. the way they dressed up the place was like a fairy land of flowers. every where we have ever been pales in comparison. truly one of a kind.

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lazydaysNyc
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 17 February 2011

It is a true fabulous Hotel! Everything is high quality: service, food, drinks, pool, location, spa….
I specially want to mark an incredible SPA! You have to take a boat across the river to get there which is always nice. No matter what kind of treatment you choose – everything is perfect!
I would recommend go to Thai restaurant at night to see a show. This restaurant is across the river also.
Another great place for dinner is a sea food restaurant on the 2d floor in Hotel.
I spent only 6 days in this hotel and can’t wait to come back!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I spend at least a week at the MO Bangkok every year before Christmas & am never disappointed. The staff remembers me from year to year & responds quickly to every need. The River Terrace & pool area are so relaxing & comfortable that it is hard to even leave for the wonderful sights of Bangkok. I believe that my blood pressure drops the moment I sit down for breakfast & look at the River of Kings.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I been to Bangkok several times in the past through my work.
This was my very first holidays to Thailand and after hearing so many positive feedback on this hotel, my husband and I decided to stay there for the only 2 nights we had in Bangkok.
The staff were incredibly friendly, rooms were beautiful and the location was superb!!!Stunning view of the river.
I can highly recommend this hotel and have no doubt i will b staying there again!!!

• Stayed January 2011
Tarlac, Philippines
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I have stayed in the Mandarin Oriental numerous times over the years but my last stay was in Sept 2009 (the date of stay selector won't allow me to go back that far).

You might be inclined to shy away from this exquisite, historic hotel from sticker shock, but let me tell you why you shouldn't. At the Mandarin Oriental, you aren't getting a hotel room, you're getting a one-of-a-kind experience. It's a lot of modern comfort wrapped in the cozy cloak of old-world luxury. The rooms are simply some of the best in the world, the bed alone is to die for...you'll never want to leave. But if you manage to pry yourself from the comfort of your bed, stroll through the plush lobby where a string quartet may be playing, and experience the extraordinary range of fine dining this hotel has to offer you then you'll get more than a fantastic meal.

You will get real service. Not the kind of service they teach about in training books (I should know, I'm a customer service trainer), but the kind of service where you can sense the entire staff moving in a symbiotic fashion, as individuals wholly concerned with your comfort and the enjoyment of your experience, working seamlessly together to achieve it.

The best way I can sum up the exceptional nature of the staff is to share this story: One of the friends I was traveling with has a rather severe dairy allergy, and as such cannot have any foods with any sort of dairy product, not even foods prepared with butter. The day we checked in, we sat inside one of the restaurants enjoying a late breakfast and she relayed this information to our server, who passed it along to the kitchen staff. The next morning, as we sat down for breakfast in a completely different restaurant on a different part of the property, the new server greeted my friend politely by her last name (pronouncing her rather difficult name correctly at that!), and said, "My colleague has informed me about your dairy allergy. I will be sure to instruct the chef to prepare your meal accordingly."

Now THAT.....is service.

Even if you can only afford to stay there one night, I promise you a stay at the Mandarin Oriental is one you won't forget.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cmarchibald
London
Reviewed 26 January 2011

This was the end of a long and enjoyable trip in the Far East that had to end celebrating New Year at our favourite City and our favourite Hotel, so it could only be Bangkok and the Best hotel, The Oriental ooops Mandarin Oriental now.
From the member of staff meeting you at the airport to escort you to your car, to the smiling faces greeting you at the door of the hotel and the lift to take you to your room, to the cashier that you see at the end of your stay when you checkout and all the people that make your stay an unforgettable experience, it is all done with a seamless politeness ,elegance and pure joy which is infectious. I will not write anything about the beautiful state room we had with the corner balcony looking up river as words would fail me and I am sure others have said what needs to be said about the beauty of a room in this hotel. I just want to say that in a packed hotel, all that recognised us, had the time to greet us chat with us, never had to wait for a table whether it was for coffee or a meal, and make you feel that you are at your own home surrounded by people that care and want to look after you. And always with a smile and a nice word. What though impressed us the most was the way an army of people transformed the terrace area and the lobby to a complete stage and disco, between 2am and 6am, for the New Year’s celebrations without disturbing guests and then after the Gala back to normal again in super fast time. It takes military precision to get it so right and great staff to do it. The gala evening was fantastic by the river. Food was everything you could ever want and more and the fireworks display unbelievable as was the staff as always!! We are booking again next year as it was probably the best New Years Eve we ever had. Finally the lobby area of the hotel has recently been renovated and although I must say I did like the original splendour of the reception area, I have to say that the refurbishing has been done with great style and some old familiar things are still there and I am sure we will all get used to the new look given time.
Again a great thank you to the Oriental and all the staff for constantly giving us unforgettable experiences!! Can’t wait to go back again to the most Perfect Hotel in the World!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple