“I always go back to the Metropolitan”

COMO Metropolitan Bangkok
Ranked #17 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Melbourne, Australia
“I always go back to the Metropolitan”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I think it was the fourth time staying at the Metropolitan in a period of 1.5 years. I have tried the Banyan tree hotel right next to it 1 time but was sad not to be in the Metropolitan.

I like design hotels. It is partly my work but also an environment where i feel comfortable. Arriving at the Metropolitan is a haven. It is tranquil, clean and warm modern but also timeless design. The staff is accurate, welcoming and think for their guests.

Rooms are nice but not superb. Linens and pillows are excellent and the internet as well (though they should make this complimentary, it is 10 euro for 24 hours). Bathroom is huge and very nice!

The spa is very clean and pleasant to use. Seperate steamrooms and jacuzzi's for men and women, free yoga, pilates and tai chi classes. This time i celebrated my birthday in the hotel and treated myself on a signature massage, it was the best i ever had!

The cherry on the cake this time was my birthday surprise, a stylish chocolate cake in my room after i returned from shopping.

I'll definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank bergo
Gen M, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Bergo,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. I was pleased to read you stayed with us so many times and enjoyed yourself so much.

When your plans include a return trip to Bangkok, I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back. I would be happy to look after your reservation personally.

Sincerely yours,

Michael Rawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 30 November 2011

This was the first hotel we stayed in during a 2-week trip to Thailand and sadly, it was so nice, nothing else lived up to it on the trip! Fantastic service, beautiful (HUGE) rooms, excellent spa (never saw a hotel gym and locker room nicer) and great food in the cafe. A wonderful oasis.

2 Thank lilybart4
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Amazing, really amazing… We have been more than impressed by the standard of service offered at The Metropolitan during our recent stay. Nothing was too much for the staff to offer to the guests an unparalleled experience. All of them really helped us to solve several things and always with a great smile and so much kindness. We really always choose the best hotels where we go but rarely we have been so satisfied about the service. The staff is truly one of the key of a successful stay and we loved so much their uniform proving The Metropolitan is really a trendy hotel.

To be honest, we were a bit worried after reading a few average comments about this property where we stayed already in the past. Some were reporting a not so good maintenance but even if we have to admit we're very demanding, we've been totally satisfied by any aspect of the hotel and not only the staff. The lobby and rooms are still so beautiful with a great sense of details; the design is more than good and the flowers give an atmosphere which is truly nice; we can't reproach anything about the maintenance if not the pool loungers or the carpet in the corridors but this is not a big deal and i'm sure the excellent manager will know how to solve these little problems.

Our Metropolitan room was so spacious, so comfy and full of natural light. Beds are enormous with the best linens and the layout is just perfect with a great living corner. The bathroom is excellent as well and you can't resist to take a relaxing bath in this very zen atmosphere. The bath amenities are smelly so good you'll have to go to the boutique to buy the big bottle to bring back home and extend the dream you'll live at The Metropolitan. We really feel like at home when we stay in this property and it's really impressive how everyone who is working here has an eye on the littlest detail and we really loved the welcome tea served in the room right after the arrival, very exclusive.

But The Metropolitan has to be proud of its yummy restaurant Nahm which is our very best spicy experience. The balance of flavors of every dish we had was simply amazing, the service can't be more attentive and nice and i miss a word strong enough to talk about the design, let's say again AMAZING…

Sincerely, due to all these things and an incredible value, The Metropolitan is now our favorite Bangkok hotel, probably one of the finest place to stay in the world and for sure, one of the best staff ever… Highly recommended.

2 Thank RCBLHKG
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed at the Metropolitan for 3 days while in Bangkok. The hotel is really a 'business hotel' although we were only there on a holiday.
The hotel itself is very clean, rooms clean etc. Everything you'd expect from a tier one business hotel.
There isn't much immediately around the hotel, however shopping is only about 10-15 minutes walk. At the shops is also a SkyTrain, so easy to get around.

2 Thank Jungl3Boy
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 November 2011

This hotel is beautifully decorated and comfortable. The rooms are just lovely, ours even had it's own courtyard which was a nice surprise! We were welcomed with some delicious herbal tea, and there was a great selection of tea in the room.
The service was top notch and very helpful, and we found our stay to be good value.
The spa was gorgeous, and I cannot recommend the restaurant Glow highly enough, it was absolutely delicious, and the food is all good for you as well, one of my favourite dining experiences ever!
It's located in the CBD, but not near any tourist places that we could see. We were there for a wedding in the area so it was great for us, but people wanting to be near the sights might like to choose a different location, eg near the river.

cork
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Bangkok is a very competitive market, and the metropolitan, though impressively stylish with some nice touches, just doesn't offer good value at all. The city rooms are unpleasantly pokey and very sub-par compared to what you might get for the same price elsewhere. The metropolitan room is much, much nicer but significantly more expensive. Wifi is not free, in contrast to almost every other hotel I have stayed at in Bangkok. On the plus sides, bedlinen, toiletries etc. are all very nice. Ultimately, I wouldn't stay here again. There are lots of other hotels up to 40% cheaper that try harder and offer more.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Met_BKK, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at the Metropolitan Bangkok on Tripadvisor.

I have read with concern that our city room fell below your expectation. We have a selection of other room type to cater for different needs and the city room is suitable for single business traveller due to its compact size.

On the value for money aspect of our rooms, we have taken this into much consideration to ensure that this is in line with our competitor 5 star hotels. Also, it might be of interest to share that we have undertaken a soft renovation of the rooms as well as room facility upgrade. And the first phase of the rooms refurbishment will be completed by the end of this year.

With regard to the internet, our in-room internet is available at cost price from a third party service provider. The current charge is relatively inexpensive and is in line with other hotels in Bangkok. We have a plan to review the pricing and we will re-assess the best course of action in delivering this facility.

I hope our shortcomings will not mar too much your impression of the Metropolitan Bangkok and I look forward to another opportunity to being of service.

Yours Sincerely,

James Low
NYC
Reviewed 24 November 2011

My boyfriend and I went to Bangkok for the first time in early November and we had the pleasure of staying at this very chic hotel. It has been a terrible year in terms of flooding in Bangkok and up until the day we left, I was constantly checking on the water conditions in downtown Bangkok with the hotel to make sure our trip wouldn't be spent underwater. We were lucky as the water did not reach downtown although the situation has taken a toll on tourism - the flight to Bangkok was 30% full and there weren't a lot of tourists walking around. The hotel was fast at replying to my many emails and assured me that all was "business as usual".

We arrived at midnight after 24 hours of travel and were picked up by the hotel's car service. The gentleman who picked us up was very friendly, spoke English, and told us funny stories on the drive to the hotel. We arrived at the hotel and the reception woman was super nice and polite (a common trait I would learn for all Thai people!) and took us quickly to the room.

Our room was pretty big (I live in NYC so my sense of space may be slightly distorted) and had a view of the beautiful pool. The furnishings are very minimal yet warm - mixing natural materials and asian + western styles. Great big windows and nice light. Big flat screen TV and comfortable sofa by the window. Good size closet although I didn't really unpack as we were only there for 2 nights. The bathroom was pretty amazing - the BEST shower with awesome water pressure. Big bath tub (didn't use) and wonderful soaps and shampoos. Bed was king size and very comfortable although we were super jet lagged (12 hour difference) so sleeping was messed up.

We ordered room service - very good food although pricey for Thai standards. Wireless worked and was complimentary which is always a plus! We also had complimentary breakfast in the Glow cafe on the 2nd floor. It's a bit of a bright/modish lunch room with a great selection of fresh fruits, juices, pastries, etc. We also had lunch by the pool (which is beautiful BUT seems to get ZERO sunlight so no sun bathing) and had a great time.

Staff was incredibly polite and friendly plus they all wear Comme des Garcons (which is REALLY cool!) It did seem to be eerily quiet as I assume there were a lot of cancellations due to the flooding. For me, this is a not a problem-I go on vacation for peace and quiet and I'm not looking for a major scene. Bangkok is so chaotic that the hotel was a nice break for the crazy outside.

In terms of location, it is in a bit of an officey area but cabs are cheap and easy to get so we were able to see sites easily. If you are looking to be closer to the big malls, etc (Siam Center, etc) we were not close but it is easy to get there.

Overall, amazing hotel if you want a tranquil yet fashionable environment. Definitely a sophisticated choice and I would stay there again when I go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool. Pool is adjacent to the entrance and more light.