“The best design hotel in Bangkok”

COMO Metropolitan Bangkok
Ranked #18 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“The best design hotel in Bangkok”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I've been staying at the Metropolitan for a year, each time I'm in transit in Bangkok. Before I used to stay in hotels such as Sukothai or Shangri-La, but since I have discovered the Metropolitan these 5-star hotels just look oldfashion and far too expensive. The Metropolitan is the best choice, a hotel really well designed, everywhere you go, the pool, the restaurants, the spa, the rooms. Not the cheap design style you find sometimes in so called boutique hotels, no here we're talking about elegance, great materials, attention to details, originality. It looks like you're in a rewarded 5-star design hotel but at very reasonable price. The staff is very friendly although this is not uncommon in Thailand. However they succeed in giving me the feeling that I'm a special guest and that they'll do everything possible - or even a bit more - to make my stay enjoyable. The two restaurants are really interesting, for both the atmosphere and the exquisit organic food. Breakfast is extraordinary, by far the best experience I had for years of business traveling. Located near the Lumpini park, ideal for travelers who prefer the Silom area than Sukhumvit. What could/should be improved: internet connection, fitness equipment.

Room Tip: I recommend the Metropolitan rooms (bigger and with fantastic bathrooms) which a bit more expensive...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SSSTEFFF
Gen M, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear SSSTEFF,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Metropolitan by COMO.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future should your plans include a return trip to Bangkok.

Michael Rawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
melbourne
Reviewed 3 June 2012 via mobile

Hotel was very accommodating especially as we checked in at 0630 am after an overnight flight. Staff were very welcoming with advice and assistance. Lunch at Nahm and dinner at Met topped off a short visit. Troy at Nahm was very warming with conversation and advice.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Gen M, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear MelbourneFans,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We had a lovely few days here. The service was very good and the food delicious. There is a good pool and pool bar. Delightful spa.

Room Tip: all rooms are good!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Imogen B
Gen M, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Imogen_10,

Thank you for staying at the Metropolitan by COMO during your visit to Bangkok. I was very happy to read you enjoyed the spa, as well as the service and the food.

Should your future plans include a return trip to Bangkok, we hope you will return to the Metropolitan. It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Great hotel. Everything works and the service is outstanding. The property is well located and this is the the third time I have stayed there. One of my favourite hotels anywhere.

Room Tip: I have always had the studio room with outdoor patio and shower.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dear GDMAUS,

Should your plans include a return trip to Bangkok, I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Sincerely yours,

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I needed to go to BKK for a day of meetings and thought I'd treat myself to a nice hotel. And I was not disappointed in the least. The property is beautiful and the rooms comfortable.

My only quibble: it took quite a while (10-15 mins) to get a taxi in the morning; none were queued up.

Regrettably, I was in town for just one night....I would have loved to stayed for a few more!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear JWeiden,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Metropolitan by COMO, Bangkok.

Should your future plans include a return visit to Bangkok, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My partner and I stay here for two nights in May. We could not have asked for more. The staff anticipated our needs and wants, we got hotel transfers which were on time with friendly staff, the pool is amazing, the restaurant Nahm - just stunning and as it was my first trip to Bangkok found it to be fairly centrally locacted. Would go back again tomorrow!

Room Tip: We had a suite which was huge! It had a seperate 6 seater dining room which we never used. Would pro...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Gen M, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Justin B,

Thank you for the kind review you posted on TripAdvisor. I am delighted you found your stay in one of our Executive Suites to be excellent.

Please let me know when your plans include a return trip to Bangkok as we would look forward to welcoming you back to the Metropolitan by COMO.

Best regards,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights during the first leg of our honeymoon in Thailand. After a long taxi ride (stuck in traffic) with no air con, we were instantly relaxed when we entrered the reception at the Met. It's cool and minimalistic. Really modern hotel.

We were shown to our room and to be honest were disappointed. It was on one of the lower floors and had NO view. Only a small 'terrace' which was 3 concrete walls and wood decking underfoot. We didn't even step put there for the full duration of our trip as it was like a prison cell. Because of the lack of view, there was also lack of light which was a shame. As honeymooners, I'd have expected a room with a view. I'm not sure why we were allocated that one. Nevertheless the bed was so comfortable, and there was plently of wardobe space.

Our travel agent had advised that we would receive welcome herbal tea, sparkling wine, chocolates and fruit on arrival. None of this was in the room when we arrived, and we had to phone reception to ask. They had this sent to the room, well everything except the tea and fruit. We went down to reception to enquire and the staff seemed confused and asked to see the confirmation we had from the travel company. This was a little disappointing. No one acknowledged our honeymoon or offered us any congratulations, even though we had emailed the hotel prior to our arrival to advise we were honeymooners. Also, the shower was only luke warm... even in the heat of the summer, I like a hot shower, but this wasn't possible here which I found unusual.

The hotels location is good, close to Lumphini park and also the night markets, which we walked to one evening. All other times we used taxis and tuk tuks to get around. Next door is the Banyan Tree hotel where we went one night to 'Verigo' bar and restaurant which is open air, 61 floors up, with magnificent views of the city. Worth visiting when staying at Metropolitan.

We had a drink in the Met Bar a few times during our stay, staff there were friendly and the cocktail list is excellent! We ate in there once and thoroughly enjoyed our Thai dishes. However the place was always quiet and not much atmosphere which is a shame.

We really enjoyed the delicious breakfasts in Glow restaurant. Such a interesting selection, as well as classic breakfast dishes, lots of healthy options as well as some treats (coconut waffles were brilliant!!). Huge selection of fresh fruits, juices, breads and pastries, certainly something for everyone!

We used the pool one afternoon and we found it to be excellent, comfortable loungers and great service from staff if we needed any food/drinks.

I probably would not stay here again as did not feel the staff showed any interest in us, and this is maybe a better hotel for business travellers etc.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a room with a view as some have no view at all!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple