“Value, Location, Design excellence.”

COMO Metropolitan Bangkok
Ranked #17 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Shanghai
“Value, Location, Design excellence.”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

If you're searching for a hotel in this class, you simply can't do better than this. It's a bit of a splashout for a city like Bangkok but it's so much better value than it's overblown neighbor the Banyan Tree. Stay here and fight with the crowds for rooftop space if you wish at the Tree. The two are a study in contrasts. The Met is low-key, quiet, elegant scaled correctly. Service is top-notch and unobtrusive.

The best thing about this hotel is the orientation of the rooms. A lot of top hotels offer great views and spacious windows but the rooms are cramped and tunnel shaped. The rooms at the Met or oriented horizontally and smartly appointed. This means that every room has a massive band of window stretching the entire length of the room instead of just at one end. This thoughful touch means that the rooms feel like private studios awash in light and overlooking the pool or an expanse of green trees.

The location is perfect in a someone overlooked section of Bangkok. It's handy for the boxing stadium and the always-interesting Lumphini park. Also close to some seldom-visited but very worthwhile tourist sights and good shopping. A short walk brings you to both train systems, Silom and Patpong. My only slight quibble would be the music in the lobby, piped in via a subscription service. It always seemed to be deep house or lounge music that comes off as a little bit "trying-to-hard" to be hip. It's the sort of standard "Hotel Muzak" that is everywhere these days.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear ShanghaiJululu,
Thanks a lot from all of us at the Metropolitan Bangkok, it is always difficult to try to explain and describe us, I feel you've done just that perfectly.
We are really happy to know you have enjoyed your stay, the hotel and the service of our team, please let us know if we can be of any assistance at anytime. Thanks a lot for your visit and looking forward to have you back soon. Kind regards, Jorge Monje

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vietnam
Reviewed 11 September 2012

A fantastic hotel. Architecturally great, with a clean modern feel. Warm reception from the team and from the manager Jorge. Food was equally good, and drinks at the Met bar great.

The service was attentive but unobtrusive and very professional.

The facilities are also excellent. The gym and pool were very good, and when we return I'll be sure to check out the lovely looking spa.

Bangkok is a sprawling metropolis and this is as good a spot as many from which to explore.

A stay is highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear RhiaVietnam, greetings from colorful Bangkok.
We are really happy to know you have enjoyed your trip to bangkok and have found Metropolitan the perfect base to explore and discover the city.
We wish to offer a home away from home to all our friends/guests visiting, thanks for your very kind comments in that regard and thanks a lot for your visit.
Looking forward to have you back, definitely our COMO Shambhala Spa is not to be missed and a huge part of what COMO H&R is all about, for us wellness, food, ambiance and the community and culture surrounding us are really important.
Please let me know if I can be of any assistance on advance, kind regards Jorge Monje.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Metropolitan is one of the top hotels in Bangkok. The hotel is located in South Sathorn and a bit recessed from the main road. Taxi drivers tend to miss the entrance when they reach South Sathorn and so you have to caution the taxi driver to go a bit slower after the right turn onto the proper South Sathorn Road when travelling there via the Lumpini area. The room is very cosy and big and has some of the best amenities. Staff attention to your needs is top class. Internet is found at the reception area and is free but I did not get to have free wifi in the room. A point to note is that catching a taxi at the hotel is not as easy as elsewhere, say in Sukhumvit area. You have to be patient. Baan Khanita, a renowed Thai cuisine restaurant, is just 7-8 minutes walk on your left when you hit the main road from the hotel. I would recommend this hotel for business travellers and group tourists. But if you are an avid shopper, then this location is a bit off the track. However, commuting to the river area is very convenient. The hotel has a world-famous NAHM Thai restaurant which serves the best Thai cuisine but you've have to prepare to lighten your wallet somewhat in the process.
Overall, I would rate this hotel highly but there are certain reservations. The degree of those depends on your itinerary and interests. Just watch out for the hotel's periodic promotions and you might catch a bargain if the timing is right.

Room Tip: I would go for a room which faces the pool and away from the main road.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Wongchinhong,
Greetings from all of us at Metropolitan, we would like to thank you for your visit and for taking the time to post this nice review.
I'm glad that after your stay last December you still have good memories of us and you did enjoyed our service.
I honestly think that Metropolitan Bangkok is a great base to explore the city and surroundings, we are basically at the center of it all, while offering a quiet and peaceful surrounding. I'm sorry if we didn't manage to explain or guide you better, not only the river area is within easy reach, we are right across the street from Silom, and both MRT and Sky Train stations are less than 10 minute walk making access to all shopping and entertainment attractions very convenient, while still offering an oasis, resort kind of feeling.
You may like to know that since your stay our Thai Restaurant Nahm has been voted Top 50 restaurant in the world by the San Pellegrino list, indeed a very special cuisine.
Once again I would like to thank you and looking forward to have the chance to welcome you back very soon. Kind regards, Jorge Monje.
Reviewed 10 September 2012

This is probably my favourite hotel around the world. I've stayed in many hotels of all different types worldwide, and this is the most memorable for its service and amenities and the room space and ergonomics. Of course, it's not the cheapest hotel but we were on honeymoon so prepared to pay a little extra, and Nahm attracted us (the restaurant).

Our room (801 I think) was large, loads of floor space, with a large bed (superking, though described as king) and a seating area. The bathroom was also very large and felt like a spa with the decor and walk-in shower. The light in the bathroom was good enough to put on makeup (if you switched on the light around the makeup/shaving mirror), which can be one of the niggles in most hotel rooms.

In the wardrobe was a yoga mat if we wanted to use it (I did), which was a nice touch. And there are slippers and robes and lovely toiletries, and bottled water provided free.

We had the best sleeps we've ever had in that bed and must get in touch to find out where they get their mattresses from. Also, there is very little noise at all, which probably added to our good sleep.

My only niggle about the room is the lack of blinds. Because of the layout (L-shaped building), those in nearby rooms could see into our room, and we into theirs. So during the day it would be nice to have blinds that shut out the neighbours but let in the natural light. The curtains were perfect for shutting out the light when sleeping, though, and the aircon works well.

As it was our honeymoon, we were brought the standard fizzy wine when we arrived, but with some delicious chocolates and some lovely green tea. There was fresh, interesting fruit for us every day, too.

The reception staff are very friendly, as are the door staff. In fact, all the staff.
I had a massage at the spa and it was great. The pool is also good and in the spa are nice jacuzzi-type small pools (in the men's and women's separate changing areas). As a guest you can access this for free, and the gym.

The restaurant staff at Glow are fantastic, and we had a warm welcome (they remember you) each morning when we went for breakfast, as well as at the one evening meal we had there.
The breakfasts are amazing. Wonderful. Glow really does do good food.

Nahm was great, but very very expensive - I'm not sure it was worth the extra money we paid above other meals of a similar standard while in Thailand.

The Met bar is a let down because it's not at all busy. Cocktails there are nice and the decor is too, but there are never many people in there, though the staff are very attentive. Perhaps because next door at the Banyan Tree hotel there is an amazing rooftop bar (which we visited - highly recommended) that's so high up you get quite a view and experience.

The location is good, too, near to a Metro that gets you where you want, and walking distance from the Lumphini stadium if you want to take in some Thai boxing.

Room Tip: Well, I can recommend 801 as that's the only one we stayed in!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear Zodo, On behalf of all of us at Metropolitan and once again congratulations and thanks a lot for your visit.
We are happy to know you have enjoyed staying with us in such special occasion, thanks a lot for your very kind comments, it does mean a lot to us.
I'm very sorry about the lack of day blinds in your room, they are usually there and would be back in all rooms very soon, as we've been recently updating those. You are absolutely right.
Thanks for your good comments on our food and treatments, we do put loves of care and attention into both and I agree that they help make Metropolitan and all COMO Hotels and stand out.
We will share your comments with our team and we all hope to have you back very soon.
Kind regards, Jorge Monje.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed here for 4 days in August and were very impressed - a warm welcome on arrival with iced drinks, shown straight away to lovely rooms - my daughters' twin room was a lot bigger than ours with a living area and lovely big bathroom. Ours also very nice, just smaller. Fruit platter in the room, complimentary bottled water every day, free newspaper every day. Lovely pool - pool towels provided on the sun beds and after you have been in the pool, the pool staff bring you a fresh towel. Also a glass of iced water appears. Nice touches. We ate in the restaurants - very good, although I think choices for small children would be limited. Breakfast is not a buffet - it is cooked to order from a very good menu, there is a good selection of fruit, breads and pastries as well. The hotel is modern, clean, staff are friendly and helpful.
We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Twin rooms are larger.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 498VivM
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 9 September 2012
Dear 498VivM, Greetings from Metropolitan Bangkok, we are all happy to know you and the family have enjoyed your stay with us and your trip to Bangkok.
We would like to thank you for your visit and your very kind comments, we will share with all our team, it is very nice to know you have found their service warm and friendly.
We love to welcome guests/friends at Metropolitan and try to make them feel at home, i hope we have achieved that.
Please anything you may need from Bangkok or us, let me know. Looking forward to welcome you all back very soon. Kind regards, Jorge Monje.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. From the moment I checked in to the moment I checked out they were fantastic. The rooms are spacious and clean. The Hotel management team was effective and efficient and went out of their way to make sure my stay was stress free. Looking forward to stay at this Hotel on my next trip to Bangkok!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Dear Anadjib82, Looking forward to welcome you back very soon. On behalf of all of us at Metropolitan thanks a lot for your very nice review.
We are very grateful for your visit and happy you have enjoyed your stay at Metropolitan and the company and service of our team, we will share your comments with all of them and I'm sure they will encourage us to continue to do better everyday.
Anything you may need from Bangkok, please let us know. Warm regards, Jorge Monje
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stayed at this Hotel as part of a business meeting. From the minute I entered this lovely, modern and serene hotel, to the moment I left, it was an absolutely amazing experience.

Yes, the rooms are huge, well equipped and simple modern. The wi-fi is easy to connect and super fast. The bathroom products are ones you want to take home. But the best part of staying here is THE FOOD and THE SERVICE!

Living in China, It's hard to find someone who can make me a short macchiato. I tentatively asked for one at my first visit to breakfast. YES! they got it, and made me a killer coffee. The best thing was, that every morning for the next 6 days, when I went to breakfast, they asked me "Shall I make you your macchiato??".

I won't go on about the service, but suffice to say, the experience at every point with the Metropolitan team was the very same standard. Welcoming, personal, just plan unique!

Onto food. No, I didn't get time to dine at Nahm. But the Hotel food at Glow, the snacks at the Met Bar and the Room Service was exceptional. Beautifully cooked and presented, delicious Asian and Thai flavours. This is the first hotel that I have ever stayed in where I have looked forward to Room Service in my room.
And Glow has the most delicious breakfast I have ever had.

I can't wait to take my family back, en-route to some lovely beach resort, just so they can experience the amazing experience at this fine hotel.

Oh, and one other lovely thing.....the freezing cold lemongrass scented facetowels in the Gym are such a great touch after a workout!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but a view over the pool is nice!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear Libby S, greetings from your home in Bangkok, we have really enjoyed having you and your colleagues with us and we are very grateful for your visit and your very kind comments.
I'm sure all the team will be happy to read your detailed feedback and being encourage by your compliments.
It does mean a lot to all of us that you have enjoyed their company and service, we are very privileged at Metropolitan with a team of beautiful caring persons, happy to know they've make a difference.
Our kitchen team will be happy as well, food it is extremely important to all COMO Hotels and Resorts and lots of love and care comes into it, not matter where, as you've mentioned from the privacy of your room service meals to any of our very renowned restaurants.
We would be delighted to welcome you back with your family very soon, please let me know if we can be of any assistance at any time, happy to help with all the arrangements.
Meanwhile we send you our warmest regards, Jorge Monje