“Oasis in Bangkok”

Ranked #20 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Seattle
“Oasis in Bangkok”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

As a full time road warrior, I constantly strive to find those hidden gems that place me close to the business center, but relaxed in away to put me in the proper state of mind. Over the past 20+ years I have traveled to Bangkok multiple times per year. I found Sukhumvit to be too crowded, dirty, noisy, and the worst traffic in Bangkok. In addition, no real place to exercise each morning, which is critical to me.

Then I found the new Metropolitan Hotel on Sathorn Road, and realized that I had found a little slice of peace in the craziness of Bangkok. The Metropolitan is located about a half block off Sathorn Road, next to the Banyon Tree Hotel, and within a short walking distance to the Silom Road business and shopping district. The Metropolitan has a top level Spa and Exercise facility (Shambala), which is idea for a spa getaway or to relieve your tired body after a busy day. The facility includes a full licensed message staff, exercise equipment, yoga, outdoor pool, etc.

The Metropolitan has spacious, chic modern rooms, that are quiet well appointed with large bathrooms with separate shower and tub.. It is a spa hotel in the city. The beds are the best of all of the hotels that I stay. I recommend the Metropolitan City Room or the Terrace Rooms.

Food at the Metropolitan is important. They have a internal restaurant on the second floor that serves healthy food all day long. Health is the key word at the Metropolitan, so all of the food is good and fresh. I recommend that you include breakfast in your reservation. It is well worth it.

Another feature is the Nahm restaurant, which is managed by a Michelen chef, and features a new twist on Fusion Thai - SE Asian food. The restaurant is beautiful in dark earthy, wood and tones. However, the cuisine is even better. Highly recommended. Make a reservation in advance, as it fills fast.

For me the highlight is the close proximity to Lumphini Park, which allows me to get in a good run in the mornings. Starting at about 5:30am the park is full of people running, walking, doing yoga, rollerblading, Tai Chi, etc etc. It is a different world in the early morning. There is a 2.5km paved path that weaves through the park and around the lake and waterways.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, spacious and relaxing. However, I recommend the Metropolitan City Rooms or Cit...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Dear maxdanger, you have me already dreaming of the exercise at Lumpini Park, if only was not the very early morning rise!
Jokes apart, it is indeed a very close and beautiful place to go for an early morning, evening exercise or just for a walked and enjoy the many people exercising and different activities, many times we conduct our Tai Chi sessions with our guests there.
We are really happy to have been found and that we seem to fit the things you like and are important while travelling. At anytime, please let me know in advance if we can be of any assistance.
Thanks a lot for your visit and your very detailed review, hopefully it will be useful for many like minded friends.
Looking forward to have you back, Jorge Monje.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I love this hotel. I feel instantly refreshed as soon as I walk in- with the amazingly polite and helpful staff checking me in with welcome tea. The hotel just feels (and smells) lovely. The rooms are clean and quiet, the toiletries are amazing. Breakfasts are simply delicious!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear dr_empathy, it makes us really proud that so many of our friends and guests seem to have this same first impression, we are really happy you felt well us from the very beginning and we are very grateful for your visit and very kind review.
Hopefully you will also have many lasting memories of your stay and Bangkok. We would love to have the chance to welcome you back soon and don't hesitate to let us know could we be of any assistance. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We had had 10 fab days in Khao Lak and was looking forward to Bangkok, we love Bangkok.

We havnt stayed at the Metropolitan but as it was 5 star i was expecting this to be good. We arrived and was checked in promptly, and while checking in our agent mentioned that it was my birthday on that day, One of the hotel staff said "leave that with me and Ill see what I can do".

We were taken to our room and yes, it was very cool and trendy, it looked amazing, it wasnt that big. Had i known there was an option to upgrade to a bigger room I would have asked, the room was at the end of the corridor and I think for 1 it would have been fine. My only gripe was that it was hard to get out of bed and stand up as on the right hand side of the bed, you were met with a wall, you had to get out of bed sideways :-(

The breakfast had plenty of choice, plus an a la carte menu to choose from. there was something for everyone.

We used the pool on the last day before leaving and the faciilties were good.

On the Sat evening, we went to the Moon Bar in the Banyan Tree, which was just next door, so very easy to get too.

We have stayed in Bangkok many times before and yes maybe other hotels have been more accessible but I would def stay here again if i had a bigger room.

When we returned from our first afternoon out, I found a cake and birthday card in the room, such a lovely thought.

Room Tip: 911 was a smaller room, ask for a bigger one
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear pink-sparkly-shoes; we were really happy to have you with us celebrating your birthday and glad to know you have enjoyed your stay and was a good end to your trip and holiday.
Such a pity we didn't communicate better in regards to the room, most of the rooms at the hotel, our Metropolitan Room are 54 sqm and probably the largest room in Bangkok at their price range.
We only have a few of the smaller, City Room, which as you've mentioned are cozy and a really good value, which some of our guests find very convenient, but definitely the Metropolitan Room is the essence of space and calmness that makes the Metropolitan a very special hotel.
Hopefully we will be welcoming you back very soon, please let us know on advance and we will make sure a Metropolitan room is ready for you. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2013

The Metropolitan is a great choice for a luxurious stay in Bangkok. It is a very stylish hotel set back from the main road in Sathorn. The ambience is very nice, with a plush design, and lots of dark earthy tones. We had relatively small rooms at the ends of the corridors, but they were perfectly fine for one. Most rooms are much larger and would be great for couples. The pool area is superb. There is also a fabulous restaurant - Nahm by David Thompson, but you'll need to book ahead. My only small gripe would be the location. Although it is well situated for access to restaurants in nearby Silom, the Skytrain is a little further than I'd like. I had to use cabs more than usual for this stay in Bangkok. Will stay here again though.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear JasoninNewtown, greetings from us all at the Metropolitan, it makes us very happy to know you have had a very nice stay and definitely we would be more than happy to welcome you back very soon.
We will share your great comments and feedback with all the team, on their behalf thanks a lot.
Glad you mentioned about our Nahm restaurant, very popular and renowned and early reservations are needed as it will be fully booked most night. Lunch is always a great alternative and usually available for walk ins.
Please anything you may need from Bangkok let us know, looking forward to welcome you back. Warm regards, Jorge Monje
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I have stayed there for 2 nights and I had a wonderful time there. The service is very friendly and very helpful. We love the very modern and very tasteful interior and the location is great. One of the most comfortable bed I slept in. I will come back there anytime....

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
Dear Hin-Phu T, greetings from Bangkok and all of us at the Metropolitan. Really good to see you have had a good stay and enjoy our team's service and company.
Thanks a lot for your visit and your kind review, Metropolitan's location is indeed very central and great to explore this interesting city and then the perfect place to come back to after a busy day, including as you've mentioned great, comfortable beds.
We hope to have you back soon, please let us know if we can be of any assistance. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 April 2013

This is my second time staying there. Seriously love it. Luxurious without opulence. Understated resort deco. Friendly and helpful service staff. Always with alternative suggestions if "Plan A" fails. Yummy and comforting food with a twist for breakfast spread. Luxurious bed with pillows that hugs you nicely to sleep and let you wake up feeling refreshed! Centrally located yet quietly tucked away from non-stop onslaught traffic of people and vehicles. Love it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Dear Apollohelios, we are very grateful for your very kind comment, we have loved having you back and you are more than welcome at any time. Really happy to know you have enjoyed this second stay and thanks for sharing all those many little things that make of the Metropolitan a very special hotel.
We are privileged to have a great number of guests/friends that keep coming back and value the service and experience provided in the hotel, it is a real pleasure for all of us to welcome friends at home and without a doubt it contributes to the very unique atmosphere.
Thanks for your friendship and we are already looking forward to have you back. Warm regards, Jorge Monje.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I've stayed here five or six times now and there's always the same fantastic service in rooms which are funky, chic and quiet. The floor and furniture are made from the same dark wood and the bed comes with luxurious duvets and pillows. The breakfast is amazing and on this latest visit, my partner and I also ate lunch there, despite the wide range of choice locally, as we enjoyed the healthy salads and smoothies so much. The Met Bar is good but expensive for cocktails.

I'd recommend choosing a Metropolitan Room, as the price is only a little more than the basic option and it comes with a lounge area and a huge bathroom. The hotel is in the embassy district so you'll need to grab a (cheap) taxi to the main sights or the river, but there are some amazing restaurants nearby and the Vertigo bar on top of the Banyan Tree Hotel next door is perfect for a cocktail at sunset.

The staff at the Metropolitan are always incredibly friendly and happy to help, and we appreciated the welcome from the general manager, who upgraded us to have a free wi-fi connection because of my repeat visits. This was hugely helpful in keeping in touch with home.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
JorgeMonje, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Bangkok, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Dear Kevininthesofa, it's Always good to have you back!!! Greetings from your home in Bangkok and thanks for your great advice and feedback.
I would say that any Metropolitan Insider would do the same recommendations as you, indeed our Metropolitan rooms are great, probably the largest, most comfortable in their category and rate range in Bangkok.
Glow as you know offers and incredibly creative and healthy cuisine and our very renowned Thai restaurant Nahm a unique and traditional Thai food.
We will share your kind compliments with the team, we are very privileged to have beautiful and helpful group of people, looking forward to take care of our many guests and friends.
I hope to welcome you back very soon, let us know if we can be of any help on advance. Warm regards, Jorge Monje