“Not great, aging and needs upgrade.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Astera Sathorn

Astera Sathorn
Ranked #294 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Bengaluru, India
“Not great, aging and needs upgrade.”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

The breakfast was the only highlight of our stay here.
The rooms as such are quite unremarkable.
The air conditioning was ancient, really lousy and hardly seemed to work. It was uncomfortably warm even with the AC set to 18 degrees :|
The shower trickled water at a very very slow pace and occasionally decided to leak some luke warm water, with no hot water to talk of.
We checked in around midnight here, and when we informed the staff that there was no hot water, we got some callous answers and the technician who was sent up seemed to mutter that this was how hot it usually got and stalked off.
Would not recommend this place.

I am sure in this city overflowing with hotels, better hotels should be easy to find.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank aceanindita

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Istanbul
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

This is our 2nd time staying here, the last time was 3 yrs ago. We chose to stay again mainly because of location, price, and our knowing the neighborhood. We are a bit disappointed this time. We are in a 2 bedroom suite because we have 2 kids and needed space. The carpet is filthy and gross, the hot water is hit or miss, the kitchen has NOTHING in it but a kettle for hot water. The bathroom walls have some mold and it just isn't clean. The beds are comfortable and the staff is friendly and the breakfast decent. Next time in Bangkok, unless they renovate we will stay elsewhere.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank annehinds
Pune, India
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed as a couple for 1 night on 05 Oct 2012 in standard double room. The hotel is aging and could do with renovation. The bed was comfortable, there are some free munchies in your room, flat screen LCD, balcony (needs a good scrubbing) tub in the bathroom, bathroom slippers were quite welcoming, however the a/c was not cooling well in the night and I had to call someone at 1 am who tried his best, but not much luck. I asked for another room, but found the cooling to be no better there too, so decided to let the night pass. In return the hotel did not agree to throw in breakfast or anything else for the inconvienance caused. The Saphan Taksi BTS is within walking distance, however for the money spent (breakfast not included), the pool does not open before 9 am, which was not at all conveniant when I could have had a dip at 7 am or so, there are better options to seek.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2013

The Astera hotel is located 1 block away from the canal boat and the Sathorn Train Station so it makes an excellent base for exploring Bangkok.

The rooms are basic but are clean, modern and have A/C, TV, fridge, safe, kettle and complimentary bottled water, tea, coffee and snacks. The staff are friendly and very accomodating toward guest needs. Beds are a bit hard, but tolerable.

We paid $5.00 extra for the breakfast (booked through Agoda) and thought it was an good deal. Choice of eggs done any way, fresh fruit, cereal, hot foods such as french toast, pancake, bacon/sausage, etc. and breads. Nice assortment to suite any taste.

Room Tip: The Hotel does not have signage if walking from the train station, therefore you could walk past it...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wendy M
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013

As most the reviews say the hotel is a little tired but it is clean, the pool is nice and the staff are so helpful. Great customer service makes all the difference in this hotel and they will go out of their way to help. They played with our 8 month old daughter endlessly and when another hotel reservation let us down one member of staff let me use her mobile for free to call other hotels. Great value for money and the location is great for the metro and skytrain and the ferries to a lot of the top tourist spots. If you are looking for something comfortable without spending too much this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed at the Astera in January 2013, and enjoyed my stay. Although the hotel is aging, my room was clean and of a good size. The staff were excellent. Since I am an older woman travelling alone and had never been to Bangkok, I decided to request an airport pickup and am glad that I did. I felt that I was in good and safe hands to get from the airport to the hotel, and was pleased not to have to worry about finding the hotel by myself very late at night. The location is excellent - just about two blocks from the river and the skytrain station. I didn't eat at the hotel because I wanted to experience real Bangkok food as opposed to hotel food, but the restaurant appeared pleasant and clean. I also didn't use the hotel facilities such as swimming pool and work-out room, so cannot comment on them. The only downside to my stay was that there was not a steady supply of hot water, and on two of the three days my shower was cool as opposed to hot. Given the heat and humidity in Bangkok, I really didn't mind taking a cool shower, but if you want to be guaranteed of hot water I suggest not staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dallie_S_13
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2012 via mobile

I stay here many times and it never disappoints. The location is great and the staff are always really friendly. The rooms are very comfortable and the location is perfect for Bangkok Skytrain and Riverboat services. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and when I return to Bangkok next year I will stay here once again.

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo