“"Great place - great staff"”

Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers
Ranked #70 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Overall I enjoyed my short stay (3 nights) at the Sheraton Royal Orchid in Bangkok, just over a month ago (I was there for a conference) My room on the 17th floor had a breathtaking view of the Chao Praya river; the room itself was fine,quiet and with a very comfortable bed; missing toiletry items were swiftly provided when requested , and the buffet breakfast was excellent! The hotel is very well situated, within walking distance of Silom Road and close to the very frequent public river boat services which left one at an overground rail transit stop within a few minutes – or went upstream to China Town, the pagodas and the Royal Palace. The riverside bar is a wonderful place to relax after a busy day, gazing at the busy life on the water and the night skyline…
Slight shortcomings: breakfast room is rather cramped and noisy (low ceilings) and I personally do not like fitted carpeting in rooms: parket floors would be welcome (as well as being more hygienic) – a point to bear in mind when a refurbishing programme is scheduled.But I am aware this is a personal preference, maybe not shared by others...
But in any hotel what really makes a difference to the guest experience at the end of the day is not so much the fixtures and facilities as the attitude of the staff – and there you get full marks from me – everyone was delightful, efficient and helpful, from reception to bar and restaurant staff to porters and people cleaning my room, I wish I remembered all their names! My stay coincided with considerable unrest in Bangkok, and the hotel management provided an information desk on developments unfolding in the city (a very smart idea!) which was manned by a young member of your staff – Mildly I believe her name is – who I must commend: she not only provided timely information and practical advice on where it was safe to go, but was very friendly and went out of her way to give me useful tourist tips and on being asked also gave me a very articulate and neutral view of developments in the country. All in fluent English …and even managed some Spanish, a nice surprise for someone living in Spain. A big thank you to her!
My bottom line therefore would be: gratitude to you for making my stay a pleasant one, and advice to management: look after your staff! They are your most valuable resource…they do a splendid and yet difficult job with great professionalism
I would certainly recommend the hotel and wouldn’t hesitate to return there if my travels ever take me back to Bangkok…
Felix O

Room Tip: Top floors overlooking the river ( I was on 17th)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Felix O
Write a ReviewReviews (4,711)

Reviewed 8 January 2014

The Royal Orchid Sheraton Towers is in the BEST position in Bangkok. All rooms have a view of the river. The hotel itself is 5 star. Rooms are well appointed, maintained and cleaned. The staff are all exceptionally efficient and friendly. The hotel has its own beautiful little ferry which makes the 10 minute trip to the central pier, past the Mandarin Oriental and the Shangri La Hotels which are neighbours. Chinatown is around the corner and the train line is easy to access from Central Pier. The Towers Lounge is exceptional. The view, the food and staff are amongst the best I have experienced anywhere. The foyer/lobby lounge had some very good evening entertainment. Check in/check out is quick. I will definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LVJS
Claire D, Online Marketing Manager at Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear LVJS.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this kind review on Tripadvisor. It is always great to hear such positive feedback and to know that we were able to make your stay a memorable one. We look forward to having you back as our guest and wish you all the best in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Great service, great rooms overlooking the river. Meals to die for with incredible views. The staff where incredible and very accommodating. Definite must if you are in Bangkok. The breakfast has to be one of the best ever that I have seen and tasted.

Room Tip: Definitely stay on the river side the views are awesome
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We used this hotel for its location and had two nights on our arrival in Thailand and one night at the end of our stay.Unfortuately our booking could not be found for either stay and we had prepaid through Trailfinders and booked the hotel 8 months earlier.It was sorted out nicely and we cannot fault the reception staff.Trailfinders in the meantime are checking all the paperwork to establish the cause The rooms have great views and the hotel is next to the ferry to cross the river and also a river boat station which we made use of as the river is quicker sometimes than the roads.to get to some of the sights eg the royal palace.We thought like previous commentators that the baths should be replaced by walk in showers but thats just a preference .The room was fine and we had great viewsThe beds were excellent and we slept well.We had problems with breakfast service both mornings( the food was fine and a great selection) and we received an email whilst on our travels to comment on the hotel and we pointed out our findings.On our return the food and beverage director called us and personally apologised and our breakfast on our last morning was absolutely fine- this is what I call professional management..I thoroughly recommend the hotel and will return again this year.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Bangkok is dirty, smoggy and clogged with traffic. My advice is to stay in the best accommodations you can afford, so you have somewhere to retreat.

This hotel is right on the river with its own ferry and next to other ferry stops. This is important because you want to avoid traveling on the roads as much as possible. The food is excellent, complimentary breakfast is substantial. Wifi is free in the lobby. The hotel is kept in spotless condition and the staff is wonderful, except for one of the concierges who was always snarky. The only drawback is that it is large enough to host professional meetings which gives the place a bland sort of atmosphere.

I would stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Macrosantafe
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here on many occasions. Have never had a complaint about the place. Ate at the Italian restaurant which I couldn't fault. Pool areas are excellent. Never too crowded unlike Shangri-La which seems to always be quite packed. Have been to Sheraton for business and pleasure. The pool area is a great way to unwind after a days work or to relax on a leisure break. There are only 2 things I am not so impressed about. Price of beer (but this the same in any big hotel chain in BKK. The other is the bath towels. Very thin/small and old looking. A hotel of this standard should address the towel situation.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Deegenski

Dear Deegenski,

On behalf of the entire team at the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, we would like to thank you for your support and loyalty. We have taken note of your recommendations and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

All the best,

Reviewed 7 January 2014

High quality hotel in wonderful setting by river. Generally high quality facilities but the bathroom had a shower over the bath and a very high step to get into it .... walk-in showers should be standard in high quality hotels. Bath towels were very small and quite thin .... they need replacing. Most staff were good but the bar staff on several occasions refilled the glass of one person and then walked away with the bottle to have a chat with another waiter !! Food in all restaurants tried was good.

Room Tip: Don't expect tomato juice at breakfast unless you want to pay extra for it. The pool is great a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elisabeth E

Dear Gordon P,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers during your recent travels to Thailand. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your constructive feedback which I have shared with the rest of the team. Do let us know if you decide to return to Bangkok as we would be delighted to have you back as our guest.

Best regards,