“Very Very good Hotel”

Ranked #71 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Durham England
“Very Very good Hotel”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed Feb 2014 for 2 nights, and arrived around 1pm. The rooms were ready and were well appointed with all expected amenities. Fantastic River view.
Breakfast was excellent and we ate in the restaurant one night which was a buffet type meal. Again good but I have had better!!
Riverside bar was good, but expensive for what it was!
Having stayed once in the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, it will be difficult for any hotel to get a five star out of me!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel is located close to many tourist places such as Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Grand Palace and is situated on the banks of the River Chao Phraya far from the hustle-bustle of the city. We had stayed there for our wedding anniversary and had booked a river side suite in one of the top floors. The view was amazing and very romantic. They have a free shuttle across the river that takes you to the nearest sky train station. From there you can travel to different parts of the city. Wet towels and water bottles are given in those beautiful boats. Boat rides in the night with beautiful lights around was very romantic. My only disappointment was that they did not offer many vegetarian choices in the breakfast buffet. Other than that we had a great stay.

Room Tip: Higher floor with river view
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed In Jan 2014 at this wonderful property with my family. I had 3 rooms and as Platinum one of my rooms was upgraded to a Suite; which had a majestic view overlooking the river. The other rooms only had a partial view, which was not half as nice. Rooms are decent in size with good décor. We definitely liked the suite room with its nice view; also the hotel boat ride with its courteous attendants was good.

The restaurant (Feast) serves top quality food for Breakfast. Special mention goes to the energetic and gracious Exec Chef Mr. Songvut Thonoi at the restaurant. He took immense care of myself and the children and ensured that we got the delicious Vegetarian food as desired. He visited us multiple times at the restaurant to make sure that we were comfortable; and we sincerely appreciated that. My youngest son was delighted to see him; as he got him his favorite pasta. Compared to the last time I was at this restaurant (in Jul 2012); it now seems to have a lot of variety in food selection. Also the overall food preparation is superb.

The newly renovated Club lounge feels like a breath of fresh air, compared to the earlier stodgy look and feel. The décor and environment feels a lot nicer than before. The staff here were very warm and attentive to our needs.

Also wanted to convey my sincere appreciation to Vikram Mujumdar, the hotel manager. Earlier our rooms were at different corners of the floor; in spite of the hotel running nearly full, he ensured that our rooms were in close vicinity to each other. He personally showed us around the newly renovated club lounge; and briefed us on the security situation in Bangkok to ensure that we had a safe holiday. I can definitely vouch for the fact that he went over and beyond the call of his duty. Starwood hotels have terrific people work for them and he is definitely one of the shining examples of that glory.

We enjoyed our stay to the fullest and definitely hope to come back to the hotel in the near future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandeep C
GMRosh, General Manager at Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Sandeep C,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I am thrilled that you had an amazing time here. It's wonderful to know you were pleased with the room, river views, our hospitality, as well as the Tower Lounge. I look forward to welcome you and your family back on your next visit to Bangkok.

Long Beach, California
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Pretty much everything you'd expect at the price, 3-4 star amenities, good staff and a great location on the river close to Chinatown. If you stay (or if you're close) use the free shuttle across the river and then pick up the free ferry to Asiatique (night mall) in the evening. Fun outing with free boat ride. Chinatown is a few blocks north and an easy walk (except crossing streets, which is a challenge everywhere in Thailand). Would always consider it as our home base in Bangkok. Every tuk-tuk driver knows where it is, and it's central enough to be a 100 baht fare anywhere. The hotel restaurants seemed sparsely attended by and large, and we didn't try as great food is easy to find everywhere, but the lobby bar can be interesting people watching and good snacks at reasonable rates.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor river view - quiet and fabulous views.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fastereddi
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Lovely Hotel, right on the river. You can get a boat from beside the Hotel to The Grand Palace. The Sheraton has it's own lovely boat to take you to the Skytrain and on the return when you are hot & sticky they give you cold towels and water! Lovely rooms with river view, it is difficult to drag yourself away, the river is fascinating.
Four Restaurants with delicious food and such good value, They have riverside terraces .Two lovely pools, one of which is in a garden with Peacocks! The staff are delightful & are an asset to the Hotel. I could go on & on. Don't hesitate, book it !

Room Tip: I think that all of the rooms are river facing
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paula P
Dear Paula P,

Thank you for choosing the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers and for giving us your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed our location, rooms, service and food. I hope to welcome you back in the near future. Thank you too for mentioning how nice and friendly our associates are. They will surely be motivated by this.

Best regards,

Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Then why as a Plat was I on 14? Hotel was 1/2 full and no upgrade to preferred floors was offered. Hostess in Club lounge could and did get snotty.

Seafood buffet in Feast was very expensive and not very good. Shrimp were all overcooked and dry. Service was spotty. Again, staff attitudes could run hot and cold but I could not get a handle on their triggers. I would say the guys were much better than the gals at service.

Anyway, major disappointment not getting the upgrade to Best Available Room.

Major kudos though for ice cold wash cloths upon return to hotel via shuttle boat. The Sheratons boat is the best on the river!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CurtC972
GMRosh, General Manager at Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Curt C,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers and for sharing your feedback with me. We strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest,
particularly platinum members and I would like to express my sincere apologies for the disappointment you encountered. In order to better investigate the issues you mentioned, please send us your reservation details to assistant.rosh@sheraton.com, we would then better be able to check the room you stayed in and where our service issues occurred. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

Sincerely yours,

Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Every room with a view. I had a beautiful room on the 22 floor with a beautiful view of the river. The room was large and comfortable with a comfortable bed, spacious bathroom, safe, lighted closet, cozy robes and slippers, and six bottles of complimentary water. My room came with a full buffet breakfast with more food than I even checked out. The wifi did cost but was very cheap for 24 hours and very fast. Right next store was a great selection of street food and shopping. There was also a McDonalds for those needing a junk food fix. Plenty of tuk tuks were also always available along with motorcycles that work just like taxis. The ones with the yellow vest are available for rides. My only problem was finding the switch to turn off the bathroom light. I found it the next morning on the far side of the bathroom. Beautiful lobby but the excitement was outside. I was with a group but I had my own room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo