“Great Hotel in Bangkok” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #67 of 845 Hotels in Bangkok
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel in Bangkok”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I recently had two short stays in this hotel and was very impressed with it.

My first stay permitted me to use the Towers Lounge on the 27th floor which had great views along the river and a good selection for breakfast. It also has free WiFi although only in this lounge. For my second stay, I took a standard room and had to pay for WiFi which is a pet hate when staying in expensive hotels, so I have knocked a point off my rating.

I really enjoyed the Thai restaurant, Thara Thong, and ate on the balcony there every night. Also the spa was excellent.

It is not too close to the main Bangkok attractions, however there is pier 3 for the river taxis just next door from which you can cheaply travel to the Grand Palace and Wat Arun area. I did walk from the hotel to the very interesting snake farm. Despite it being just over a mile, the heat and humidity at this time of year coupled with some crazy junctions that need crossing meant it was not a pleasant walk. However, if you want to take a tuktuk or taxi, I would recommend taking a short walk away from the hotel (or any kind of attraction) before hailing them as I found I could negotiate a better rate.

All in all, I strongly recommend this hotel but to get full marks, it should accept that WiFi is now an essential and provide it at no extra charge.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank PDAV237
GMRosh, General Manager at Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear PDAV237,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I am happy to know you enjoyed the river view from the club lounge and that you were pleased with the selection of breakfast we provided. Our Link@Sheraton on the 1st floor provides our guests with free internet access in a cozy environment. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Keith Hardie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (859)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Northwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Typical Sheraton efficiency - collected from the airport by private transfer and deposited right outside about 25 hours after leaving our house in the UK, stayed here for 3 nights to complete our marriage paperwork and it was fairly good. Great breakfast courtesy of in room dining delivered the next morning, food around the pool was really good if not a little expensive by Thai standards but plenty of places nearby if you don't want to pay hotel prices. We received an upgrade to a Deluxe River View room which didn't really bother us, it was somewhere to sleep at night. Staff very courteous and I must mention the Concierge who went above and beyond to make some phone calls after our planned trip to the River Kwai started to look doubtful as we had not been picked up by the local agent and no explanation given but all not lost as Kuoni stepped in with a private trip, albeit in a Honda MPV with a cracked windscreen. All in all,no issues with the Sheraton and I would go back again

Room Tip: Upgrade to the SPG club with fee wifi, complimentary food and a special lounge
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ollybobbles
GMRosh, General Manager at Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Ollybobbles,

It's wonderful to know you were impressed with the foods and the services provided by our concierge. I’m very happy that you consider returning to our hotel. Thank you for your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

First class in every way, we were looked after so well during our stay and the restaurant over looking the river of Kings was the best .

Perfectly situated for all sight seeing and shopping and at a reasonable price. Already planning a visit next year.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Steve H,

I’m very delighted to know you enjoyed your time here and that you’re coming back next year. I really appreciate it and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon. I wish you all the best in the meantime.

Best regards,

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed hear for 3 nights in may lovely hotel and room views from our room over look the river we had breakfast included witch had every think you could won't and more , only down side to hotel there's not much to do outside the hotel plus we had to be in by 10 o'clock becauces of the curfew

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank brendamlondon
Tehran
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in the hotel. We didn't like the rep's behavior. She ignored us for a while and did check-in in silence . Whenever we asked any queations , got no answers or we had to ask over and over again!
The rep was rude , so the first impression wasn't good. After going to our room , we were told that there was a problem with lightening and the technition would go to address the problem. During our stay , no one showed up !
There were not any slippers !( For a 5-star hotel ,a little odd!) But the problems were more! Another day we received a letter from our agency about the pick-up time but the time wasn't typed correctly ! We were so lucky that didn't our flight due to their slip of thumb!
The hotel's location is not good ! Far from everywhere. You had to take taxi for traveling.
About the bright sides: The view!!! The view was perfect. Ooverlooking the river and had srunning view specially at nights !
Another plus was about the breakfast. No flaws! Varied and delicious.
In general ,we didn' enjoy our stay in Sheraton Hotel and won't back again!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Arghi A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I agree with you that the river views look absolutely stunning especially at night. I sincerely apologize for the shortfalls and inconvenience you encountered during your stay. I have shared such constructive feedback with my team for immediate improvement and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back the next time you’re in Bangkok.

My best regards,

Fribourg, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The staff was so helpful and friendly. I was glad they helped me so much as my mother was sick and needed to go to the hospital. The view on the river is amazing. The location is perfect, close to express boat, skytrain. The food in the different restaurants was delicious.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 22Sophie
GMRosh, General Manager at Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear 22Sophie,

I am very thrilled to find out that you have had a memorable time at our hotel despite your mom being ill when you arrived here. I hope she’s doing well now. Your review has truly made my day knowing that our associates were able to help and provide services that exceed your expectations. Should your travel bring you back to Bangkok, I hope to have the pleasure of serving you again. I wish you all the best in the mean time.

gpetrie868
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This property is magnificent. Orchids everywhere, including your room. Impeccable service and fine dining. Easy commute to high end shopping and entertainment. Tailor shop on premises for custom suits, shirts and ties.

Great view of the hustle and bustle of the river and the rooms are beautifully appointed. World class accommodations!

Room Tip: Riverview room suggested
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business