“Probably my best ever hotel stay!”

Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park
Ranked #61 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Taunusstein, Germany
“Probably my best ever hotel stay!”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I loved staying at this hotel.

The service from the staff was top notch, they were friendly, informative and could not do enough for you and always went out of their way to try and help and go the extra mile and always with a smile.

The hotel itself has excellent style, and I really liked how it had been laid out and the quality of the furniture and fixtures and fitting. The hotel was always spotlessly clean, including the rooms, and I cannot fault a single thing.

The room was really nice, fairly large (by european standards) with all of the furniture it excellent condition, with a bath and seperate shower and 2 sinks (plus a japanese style toilet!) and good lighting throughout the room. A good view from the room and excellent black out curtains to keep the light out.

One minor complaint was that the room was too cold, but it was OK if I turned off the air conditioning unit, so it was not really a problem.

And I was trully amazed when on my Birthday a waiter brough up and presented me with a birthday cake! I was truly delighted with this, but assume that it was because of my status with the IHG hotel group, but still never before has this happened.

The location was perfect, lots of bars and restaurants in the areas (as well as 'other' entertainment options if you are so inclinded) and a night market as well. The metro and skytrain stations are about 100m away on the corner giving good access throughout all of Bangkok and down to the river (for boats to the old town).

All in all, it added up to probably the best ever stay I have had in a hotel, and I would not hesitate to go back again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham UK
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have been visiting this hotel for nearly 20 years. When it opened it was a Pan Pacific and it re-branded to Crowne Plaza about 3 years ago.

The first time I stayed at the CP since the re-branding was April 2012 and I have since stayed there twice more with another visit coming up at New Year. It seems that they are gradually refurbishing the property. The ground floor lobby area was redecorated in a rather garish colour scheme. The Panorama Restaurant and the main lobby on the 23rd floor have been completely redone and are very pleasant. Earlier on this year the Club Lounge on the 31st floor was remodelled. Unfortunately, any refurbishing of the bedrooms has been mainly cosmetic. Every time I go into one of the rooms I am transported back to my visits in the 1990s. The rooms are not massively old-fashioned, they are just a bit dull and tired. However, they are perfectly comfortable and well equipped and do not put me off returning to this hotel.

The best thing about the CP is the fantastic staff. Nothing is too much trouble for them. They go out of their way to make sure that your stay will be as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

For me the location is excellent. It is very close to the underground and not much further to the Skytrain. The dining, drinking and nightlife areas of Silom and Patpong are just around the corner and taxis are plentiful. Just allow a lot of time as the traffic can be horrendous. The cost of taxis is very low – from the CP to Thong Lor at the far end of Sukhumvit is only about BHT 100. To Asok it is no more than BHT 70.

There are two aspects of the refurbishment that I have issues with. First, the inside doors on the lifts from the ground to the 23rd floor lobby are covered in ghastly bright purple adverts for various hotel facilities (see photo). This “decoration” would look tacky in a two star hotel in Vegas and has no place whatsoever in what is supposed to be a luxury hotel.

Secondly, I loved the old Club Lounge on the 31st floor. It was decorated in a tropical colonial fashion with lots of greenery and was a very cool and calm place in which to relax. The refurbishment has turned it into a sort of “school canteen meets Ikea” look. It may be more modern but it is completely characterless. Before and after pictures are attached.

I have stayed in most top end hotels in Bangkok over the years and whilst the CP is not the most luxurious it is a very good product at a reasonable price. I will keep returning because of the wonderful staff and service.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms on the club floors are best and not much more expensive than the non-club rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Brum_Bob
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I've decided to make this hotel the base for me in Bangkok. My criterion are high - I travel a lot all over the world for work. This hotel tops the list for friendly and efficient service for me.

Simple example: I'd forgotten some perishable presents I'd left in the fridge and the concierge (K. Krab) had the initiative to hunt it down and send it off in a taxi to me and left me the taxi driver's number to coordinate pickup at the airport. I made my flight just in the nick of time.

The Executive Lounge staff were superb and took care of our every wish. Khuns Dao, Jeab, Trinkle, Aek and Jarupat are top to be commended for their dedication to service. Also, Khun Win downstairs on the 23rd floor restaurant always gave all guests a cheery start in the morning.

If there are any minuses, its that maybe they can serve juices without sugar and that the pool area could be redecorated a little.

Other than that, I will always return there both for work and pleasure.

Crowne Plaza @ Lumpini Park Team: Well Done!

Dr. Tan

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

2nd visit, this time under new branding and management. Didn't disappoint! Outstanding service, lovely rooms, excellent facilities, great service. Highly recommend spending the extra for club level. Also, don't miss the Chinese restaurant and the wasabi prawns! Would rebook if going back to Bangkok.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank strat2109
KUWAIT
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I only stayed at the Crowne Plaza Lumpini Park for one night and it wasn't by choice. My chosen hotel, the InterContinental, wasn't available for the first night of my stay so I chose to try the CP for my first night in Bangkok.

My initial impression of the property was that it was modern and well presented. Check in was slightly confusing, as I was met by a bellman on the ground floor and then pointed to the lifts for check in. I then went to the lobby level where I waited to be redirected to the Club Lounge on yet another level. However, once at the lounge I was presented with a moist towel, welcoming drink, told about my Club benefits (which I had been upgraded to), etc. The staff were welcoming and did a great job of welcoming me and explaining the very generous IHG Platinum benefits that I would be granted.

The room was spacious, modern and very nice. The bathroom was huge, the toilet had a fancy Japanese system with a built in bidet and dryer(!), the bath tub was very comfortable, the products were a brand (Aigner) that I had never seen in an IHG property before but were very nice (and this is coming from someone who normally doesn't pay much attention to these things).

The multi-tiered fruit and chocolate platter, biscotti with condiments and bottle of wine were very nice gifts and the daily 500 baht of free laundry would have been of great value on a longer stay.

The evening drinks and canapés in the Club Lounge were great, as was the breakfast and the staff were polite, friendly and happy to assist in any way required. The pool area seemed nice enough, as did the bar and other public areas of the property, although they weren't used on this short stay.

I really can't say enough about this property, its staff and the value that they present to their clients! IHG Club Platinum benefits were fully honoured and, in fact, very generously exceeded. This property will be high on my list to return to in the future and the entire staff is to be commended!
Room Tip: Book a Club room or one with a park view.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
BKKCP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Reviewer,

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and I am most pleased that you have enjoyed memorable hotel experience with us. The team at Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park joins me in thanking you for recognizing our effort. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for 3 nights on a recent business trip and the place was quite central and easy to move about. The service there was fantastic by the staff especially during breakfast and when I needed to book a cab. During breakfast the staff would bring over my eggs and serve hot rolls to the guests.

Room amenities were great, free internet for business customers even though it wasn't fast but sufficient for emails and work purposes.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank markleo82
Dear Reviewer,

I am most delighted that you have enjoyed a GREAT stay with us. Thank you for recognizing our effort, in particular during breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you again for another great experience in the near future.

Munich
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

The following is an email I sent to managment at this establishment:

I just wanted to let you know how appreciative I am not only for the excellent service that your hotel and staff offer, but also for the care in maintaining the hotel and its facilities to the highest standards.

On the 24 of September when I checked out last time, I'd left some family presents (perishables from Europe) in the fridge and I'd realized it 2 hours before I was due to fly at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

I was extremely surprised by the speed at which your staff reacted, especially the concierge K. Kob (I recognized his voice immediately) and your cleaning staff which located the package and sent it via taxi to Suvarnabhumi. Not only that, K. Kob had the initiative to make sure that the both the taxi driver and my mobile numbers were noted so the transfer at the airport could happen smoothly.

You have definitively won a long-term customer over.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank girobike
Dear Reviewer,

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we appreciate your sharing the experience with us. I am particularly glad to learn of your commendation towards the great service from Khun Kob and our housekeeper and would like to thank you for the recognition. The team at Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park looks forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.