“Old and grand and simple but:”

Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park
Ranked #60 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Old and grand and simple but:”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have recently stayed here for 6 nights and on the whole the process was extremely enjoyable. I chose to have one of the non renovated rooms as I found the renovated ones not to my liking. The old rooms are spacious with grand old furnishing but also two very positive aspects. One is the walls are thick so one does not experience television sets too loud or the voices of couples in throes of ecstacy flooding into one's dreams. And a great bonus, a lighting system which is easy to understand! One does not need a degree in rocket science to decide how to switch off the light in the hallway when lying in bed and the bedside light is a dream, reachable and adjustable with ease.
The lower lobby entry smells of sewage as do the lifts from that floor up to the reception at 23 level. I think this is a problem of Bangkok rather than the hotel and the odour I fear will never disappear. The main reception is in a gloomy area and I feel sorry for the reception staff sitting there all day - I think I would be driven to suicide if I stayed in that area more than one day. I only used the bar on one occasion and that was the rather attractive bar to the left of reception, with the lovely leather settees and chairs and a rather attractive painting on the wall by the entry. However I fear that the management does not seem to have the same appreciation of the painting as I do as 30% of the painting is covered by a rather over large television set which was not on and apparently does not work anyway. So why bother having the monstrosity there in the first place? The dining room is attractive at breakfast time, with a fairly good spread for breakfast and lovely attentive staff but the problem here is the design of the tables. The middle of the support of the table is that when one sits down there is nowhere to put one's legs, either tucked under your chair causing you to sit some distance from the table edge with a nice gap into which one can drop one's scrambled egg or indeed any of the other delicacies on display in the buffet ,or the alternative of this position is to spread-eagle one's legs on either side of the table support and look like some sort of gangster minus a cigar.
The staff in reception are pleasant and the concierge staff are variable at smiling and opening doors but if I was woking in an atmosphere of sewage stench I too would be variable in my meeting/greeting efforts.
However to sum up, the simplicity of the lighting system wins and I will return, if I'm allowed to!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
BKKCP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park and sharing the experience with us on your recent stay. We most appreciate your constructive feedback and we continue to seek for improvement upon current service and facility. We hope to have another pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Quality and Continuous Improvement Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Totland Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

A member of IHG so try and stay with the brand but this was a slight disappointment.
Strange arrangement with reception on the 23rd floor, not always clearly explained to new arrivals with two separate sets of lifts.
Nice room but had to request items not left by housekeeping. A fridge set to maximum but just not functioning.
Breakfast looked incredible with 3 cooking stations but - nothing was as it seemed, the egg station was so disappointing and the chef managed to mess the order up every morning.
Location in Bangkok was ideal near to the night market, bars etc.
Be careful - taxi drivers (always make sure the meter is ON!) have no idea where the hotel is so always take the full address if staying here.

Room Tip: Selecting a 'non-smoking' table for dining or drinking at the bar is immaterial as all the d...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LawrenceSalvoni
BKKCP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor and we most appreciate your constructive feedback. It is certainly disappointing that you had encountered the unpleasant experience from your recent stay. We will be sure to take your review on board in ensuring we provide up to standard to our guest. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome you back for in the near future.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

It's quite late review of my stay in August 2013. I love this hotel. Great service and great staff - Club Lounge team and night concierge who used to recommend us the best places in Bangkok.

I highly recommend this hotel and looking forward to be there on my next trip.

Cheers

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
BKKCP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park as your accommodation. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay. We will hope to welcome you for another memorable hotel experience in the near future.

Hampshire
Reviewed 18 June 2014

First stays here on arriving and leaving Thailand this trip, 2nights both times. Hotel well up to expected standards for a Crowne Plaza. Hotel occupies the top 10 floors of a 34 story building built in a triangular shape. Reception, Lounge, restaurant staff all very polite, helpful and good. Easier/quicker to walk the 20m to main road and stop a taxi than ask concierge for a taxi. I was a little put out being told to walk to MTS, when I asked concierge for a taxi!

As an IHG platinum elite treated very well here, received room upgrade and lounge access both stays. Once upgraded to Deluxe instead of club floor room, checkin advised deluxe rooms a bit nicer/bigger, and having seen another guests club floor room, that is true. The other time a Junior suite upgrade

Deluxe room :-
Comfortable King bed with nice pillows, sheets, slept very well. Aircon quite quiet and worked fine, large flatscreen TV with good channel choice. Usual work desk+chair, chair+footstool, plenty of storage, the wardrobe acting as a room divider to bathroom, with both bath and a separate shower.

Junior suite : -
A slightly larger room, on the point end of triangle on each floor. as such not rectangular like normal rooms. Split into living room, sofa, table, desk+chair, bureau, 40inch+ tv. Partition separates bedroom area, with usual king bed, and another tv, plus chair/footstool, wardrobe, and similar to deluxe wardrobe partitions bedroom from bathroom. Again separate bath + shower, plus his+hers sinks. Their is also extra toilet/wash basin off living room.

Both room types have usual safe, coffee facilities and minibar, both had a view towards Lumpini Park, and being on high floors, 26-30 , no nearby buildings can see into ones room which with all the high buildings in Bangkok is not always the case.

Pleasant large Lounge, no outside views though, helpful staff, some nice evening nibbles and a good evening drinks alcohol selection. You can also have breakfast here, although less option/choice than having restaurant breakfast. I tried both, and as not a big breakfast eater, both were fine for me, the restaurant has plenty to choose from.

Nearby:-
+ Out of hotel, left 100m, left again, 100m is the famous Patpong night market
+ Out of hotel right, 200m is both MTS (underground) and BTS overground train stops

As a comparison, well worth considering here to some other hotels I have stayed in Bangkok, not quite a 5* like Intercontinental (where I often stay), but rooms definitely 4* plus, and I preferred CP rooms to say Conrad Sukumvit Exec rooms although Conrad Lounge offering is better. I will definitely stay here again, even if just a last night for patpong night market before flights home
(last time I used Holiday Inn Silom for my patpong visit, as I did not know the CP is even nearer)

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are bigger/better than clubrooms on club floor, if possible take Lumpini Park side. If...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank scuba_in_the_sun
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for being our IHG Rewards Club Platinum Member!

It was our pleasure to have you as our guests and I am pleased to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We are very grateful for your recognition towards our effort in providing quality service and facility. This certainly spurs our team to further strive towards achieving excellence. We look forward to welcoming you again for another memorable hotel experience in the near future.

Pune, India
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was on business trip & during initial curfew days needed to stay in Bangkok . This was very nice place stay . Night market was near , lot of food joints near by , wood fire pizza , Mac-d , Local food stall as well as international brand . Rooms are very good . breakfast was one the finest ever. The Vegetables prepared for me by the chef was awesome. Hotel service & staff is too good. Internet speed & connectivity is good.

Room Tip: Rooms away from lift
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
BKKCP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and I am most pleased that you have enjoyed our service and facilities during your stayed. It certainly encourages our team to continuously seek for improvement upon current experience. We look forward to welcoming you again for another excellent experience in the not too distant future.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I first came to the Crowne Plaza hotel near Lumpini Park when I inquired about accommodating a large group of study abroad students from the US. I was given a terrific, well-rounded tour of the various areas of the hotel, including a scenic swimming pool, conference rooms, a stylish bar, dining areas, recreational facilities and much more. The rooms themselves are superb; aesthetically pleasing and boasting spectacular views of the city. I was highly impressed with what I saw, and certainly recommend the Crowne Plaza hotel for anyone looking for a wonderful stay in the heart of Bangkok.

I must also give a special thanks to Susanna, the intern who showed me around the hotel. Her friendliness, helpfulness and dedication to her work is praiseworthy, and made for a memorable, informative tour. I wish her the best of luck in all her future endeavors!

Room Tip: Don't let the news of the protests or military personnel stationed in Bangkok worry you. The cit...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park as your preferred choice and I am most delighted that you have highly rated our customer service attitude. We appreciate your recognition towards our effort especially to our STAR Susanna. It will be certainly our pleasure to have you back for another GREAT hotel experience in the near future.

Chonburi, Thailand
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Last year I stayed about 120-nights in BKK. I have stayed in all the IHG flagged hotels and this hotel offers the best perks for Platinum/Ambassador members. Was given a room upgrade to a suite, lounge access and a welcome gift of a stuffed elephant.

The front desk staff Knot was very polite and checked us in quickly and answered all our questions. He spoke excellent english and also japanese. The location of this hotel is near both BTS and MRT stations. The view from the rooms is nice. The rooms are slightly dated, however they make up for it with incredible service. This was a very pleasant surprise in the middle of Bangkok. Thank you!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mattfs218
BKKCP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for being our IHG Rewards Club Platinum Member!

What a pleasure to learn of your GREAT review here on TripAdvisor! The team at Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park joins me in extending our gratitude for your appreciation towards our service, especially towards our Superstar Khun Knot. Taking your positive review on board, we continue to strive towards achieving excellence in service. It will be certainly our pleasure to welcome you again for another memorable hotel experience in the near future.