May 16, 2013
Dates stayed / reason:
Stayed from May 10 until May 15, business with a few days of R & R
Guest / Writer Details:
I am a Hilton Honors Diamond, have previously only ever stayed at a Doubletree once, in Beijing. Business and leisure traveller, business person, normally stay with Conrad Hotel when in Bangkok. I noticed Hilton were opening a new hotel under the Doubletree brand on May 1 so decided after 12 consecutive stays at Conrad I would give the new Doubletree a whirl. I love the Wireless Rd area of Bangkok as it is very central to everything so was keen to see what it would be like living a little further out.
The Doubletree Bangkok is newly opened ( May 1 ) and the first of this brand in Thailand. After my experience at Doubletree Beijng 2 years ago, I thought I would try it for this 5 day business trip. The location had an almost local feel outside, a bit away from the sleezieness and touristy Sukhumvit Soi 11 areas. I liked it a lot. A Tops Market within 200m and the BTS only 300M away.
Check - in:
I arrived in BKK at 7am in the morning from CMB. Making my way to the hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 26 I was not really expecting to be able to check in immediately. Even though the hotel was full the front desk manager was brilliant. I was offered a coffee while she sorted it out for me, I was watching and could clearly see they were struggling to get me a room. But they came through. They could not offer me the normal Diamond upgrade but I was grateful for even getting a room at this ridiculously early time. I was taken to the room on the 14th floor by the Front Desk Manager and shown the room facilities. Apologies were given for not being able to do the upgrade, didn’t really care, I was thankful for having a room with VERY early check-in
The room I stayed in on the 14th floor ( #1408 ) which is adjacent to the elevators. The rooms are brand new, state of the art and the beds are AMAZING! Whilst the rooms are relatively small. More than adequate. The connectivity is first rate ( although a little slow ) the air conditioning is excellent, the bathroom is a bit small but how much space does one need? Love the sliding doors on all sides of the bathroom which enhances the feel of airy, light and openness of the small rooms. Neutral tones throughout, excellent shower space offering normal and rain shower heads. The amenities are good ( Citron brand ). The linen is all new and fluffy and plentiful. Marble floors are fantastic giving the overall feel of the rooms being quite light and airy. The bar fridge has no alcohol but is easily ordered with room service.
The Room: Loads of connectivity points, great beds, small bathroom, great space in shower area, flat screen TV with 25 channels, brand new linen.
The Hotel: Pool ( small ) on 7 but funky design, doesn’t have an Executive Lounge, restaurant / breakfast area is quite huge with spacious seating but certainly not enough seating for peak times ( see breakfast review ). There is free wi-fi connectivity in the public areas of the lobby. Wi-Fi in the rooms for Diamond and Gold HH members is free but THB 450 for non HH members. The hotel lobby is airy, light and funky and gives a great first impression. There is memorabilia throughout the hotel public areas such as 50’s and 60’s transistor radios, not quite sure the relevance, I didn’t quite get it. But who understands current design! The pool is a bit on the small side but adequate.
In a word, fantastic. So helpful, openly offering assistance without being OTT ( over-the-top). Very helpful from front door through reception through room service through house keeping. English spoken throughout without exception.
This was the one grey area for me. The restaurant is spacious and the seating is spacious and comfortable. But its quite spread out and does not actually seat a lot of people. If the hotel is full, it will be a MAJOR struggle if everyone decides to have breakfast at the same time. The cuisine options are great, from juices through cereals, through traditional Western and Asian breakfast. Open from 6am until 10.30 am
( 11am on weekends ) I had breakfast quite late on 2 mornings and most of the hot food items had run-out and were not replaced. On my last morning, by 10am they had run out of fresh milk for coffee and when I asked for milk was advised “we only have soy milk”. Not a biggie but could be an issue for someone more pedantic than I. On the upside, the Hotel Manager was constantly wondering around, welcoming and greeting guests, having conversations, checking amenities etc. The other criticism would be the slowness in cleaning up after a guest has left. I arrived one of the mornings at 10 and had to wait 15 minutes for one of the tables to be cleared. I ended up doing it myself to help out. They’ll sort this out in no time I am sure.
What you will love:
• The new-ness,
• The linen in the rooms
• The friendly and efficient staff
• The location ( easy to airport highway!)
• Did I mention the staff?
• The design of the rooms which gives a feeling of airiness, lightness and openness.
• Very soon, Hilton opens adjoining this property and guests from both hotels have access to all facilities
• The competitive rates
What you may not love:
• The breakfast facility is a bit “hit & miss”
• The internet connection slowness
• The standard rooms are quite small, OK for 1 person but would be a bit tight with 2 or more in a room
Check - out
Check out was seamless. There was no waiting. Front desk printed out my account and on review I noticed a charge incurred that was not mine. It was checked, dealt with and removed without any fuss. The doorman had already arranged a taxi for me and I was I the taxi and on my way within 5 minutes. Exceptional.
A really nice and pleasant experience helped by a great staff and a really cool location away from the Bangkok sleeze and masses. Sort out the breakfast area, maybe a small executive lounge would be beneficial for your business traveller guests.
Would I recommend it:
Out of 10:
Comparatively: 8 / 10
For rate paid: 9 / 10
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok is an upscale hotel located on Sukhumvit 26 in the heart of one of the city's major business and entertainment districts. Phrom Phong BTS sky train station is a short walk away and the hotel is a 40-minute drive to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport. Famous attractions such as Bangkok's cultural Old City (Wat Pho) are a 30-minute drive and the Grand Palace is 30 minutes away. The 177-room DoubleTree by Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok offers guests a warm welcome and a signature chocolate chip cookie upon arrival. The hotel can accommodate gatherings for up to 400 guests in its largest function room, while its all-day casual diner-style restaurant tempts guests with Thai, Vietnamese and Western dishes. The hotel offers a 24-hour fitness center and outdoor pool open daily from 7am to 9pm, wireless Internet both in-room and in the public areas. The DoubleTree by Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok lives by the brand's longstanding culture of CARE and focuses on delighting guests who appreciate a place Where the Little Things Mean Everything. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Agoda, Priceline, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Double Tree By Hilton Hotel Bangkok
- Imperial Tara Bangkok
- Hotel Imperial Tara