“Its all about the people...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel

Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel
Ranked #40 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Bogota, Colombia
“Its all about the people...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

This hotel is one of the best I've stayed in a while. From the moment you get out of the taxi to the moment you check out you are taking care of in an impressive and dedicate way. The rooms have one of the largest beds I have ever seen, the breakfast has an incredible spread (the morning stock is not to be missed), and the in house restaurants are amazing.
The spa had great massages ( I had the thai massage and feet massage). The only minus...the price of the drinks at the bar....wayyy to expensive.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Dear Santiago,

It was indeed a pleasure to lean how much you have enjoyed your stay with us at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and I would like to thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed the cuisine in our selection of restaurants and that you had the chance to experience great massages in our Spa Athénée. I will definitely look into your concerns regarding the price of drinks in the Bar.
Thank you once again for sharing your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Gilles Evrard
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

Was here for a work trip and my team stayed at this hotel.

Very well run, the staff were extremely attentive and I was always pleasantly surprised to be addressed by my name each time I dialed for the operator.

Rooms are extremely spacious and clean with full amenities.

Good location made it easy to travel around.

Kudos especially to the concierge team, who were able to advise me on the traffic situation, that is especially important in Bangkok where the traffic can get pretty crazy. They were also extremely attentive and polite while handling my baggage so all in all it was a great experience.

Great international breakfast, definitely covered lots of cuisines which meant I got to try something different every day.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ningherself
Dear ningherself,

Thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

I was so pleased to read that you and your team enjoyed the service that our associates offered. Our associates strive to provide a friendly yet professional and efficient service to all our guests and I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team. I was also glad to hear that you also liked our signature Le Méridien breakfast at The Rain Tree Café. We endeavor to offer a large variety of food and beverages that suit our valued guests from all over the world.

Thank you once more for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Gilles Evrard
Hotel Manager
Helsinki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

The Plaza Athenee Bangkok is undoubtedly my wife´s favourite hotel in Bangkok, and we always try to start our trip in Thailand from here. Situated along the leafy Thanon Whittayu, close to the main Western embassies, makes for a very good position for business and for shopping, due to its proximity to the main shopping district along Ploenchit Road. The staff at the Plaza Athenee are friendly and very service orientated. Their Raintree restaurant serves a superlative breakfast. Their Sunday brunch is famous in Bangkok. The rooms are very spacious and tastefully furnished. The club lounge is a beautiful example of contempory Thai architecture, and and the furnishings are superb. This is one of Bangkok´s bes hotels and always a pleasure to return to.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Dear PeterHelsinki,

I truly appreciate your kind words and more importantly, the time that you have taken to write this detailed review on TripAdvisor.

It is very rewarding to receive such positive feedback and I will be sure to share it with the team to recognize their efforts. I was also thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our signature Le Méridien breakfast as well as our Sunday Brunch at the Rain Tree Café.
Once again I would like to thank you for your review and I hope that we will have the privilege of welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

I love the hospitality for Starwood hotels in Bangkok and Plaza Athenee does not disappoint. Upgraded to a large suite, complimentary breakfast, high tea and evening cocktail hour in the Royal Meridien lounge. The location is great too with just half a block walk to the Sky Train.

The pool area is scenic and great to relax by and the Tom Kha soup I had for lunch was delicious.

The rooms themselves I think could use a little bit of a modern refurbishment but not bad at all

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Dear SK1212000,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel as your preferred hotel during your stay in Bangkok.

It is pleasing to learn that you enjoyed availing of several of our Royal Club benefits and facilities during your stay with us. I am glad that you had a chance to relax around our lagoon styled swimming pool and enjoy some authentic Thai Cuisine.

Once again I would like to thank you for your comments and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,185 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

My wife and I stayed at this Starwood property again this year although it was close with Marriotts in Bangkok offering special packages and as a Gold member I get access to their Executive Lounge without any additional charge, not so at Plaza. But we stayed loyal as they gave me a decent rate package.
Hotel rooms excellent, with first class service, check-in/out great, location close to a Mall and Skytrain. All great. Concierge pretty good.

Lounge last year was amazing. Unusual in that it had both a Thai Manager and a European responsible. This year the same European however not as friendly as he was in his first year and bordering on being rude. I hope Plaza reminds him of the county he is in (not Europe) and Thailand as a tradition or courtesy and friendliness. This caused me to drop my excellent rating.

All in all very very good but next year I may try the Marriott.

Richard Ramlall

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EliteTravellers
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear ” Guyana1234.

Thank you for choosing at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and taking your time to write your review on TripAdvisor.

I am thrilled to learn that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us here at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel. Your compliments on our rooms, our service as well as our good location are greatly appreciated.

However, I am concerned with your comments on our Royal Club. This does not reflect our normal high standards that we are well known for. I will be addressing each of these points with our team to ensure that they do not happen again in the future.

Once again, thank you very much for your valued comments and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

We stumbled upon this hotel on Trip Advisor, due to lackluster reviews on a prior hotel we were initially meant to stay at. So we changed our bookings and opted for Plaza Athenee.

I feel compelled to give perspective to travelers reading only the positive reviews about the hotel. Our experience was absolutely awful. We stayed at the Hotel for four nights in two adjacent rooms. The rooms were not cleaned properly. There was half a footprint on the bath tub from the day we arrived until we left.

The housekeeper didn't bother to clean the bath since we were showering. The toiletries were not topped up and the carpet in the room was dirty throughout the stay, despite us requesting for the house keeper to clean it. The linen was not freshened at all. The flowers in our room were changed once yet the other room did not get fresh flowers.

Other than the lacking cleanliness, the bitter experience was the apathetic & indifferent staff. We grew accustom to the warmth, professionalism and cheerfulness of the Staff at our Hotel in cambodia. The cashiers at supermarkets were more polite and helpful than the reception desk.

The was one receptionist in particular who treated us abruptly and abrasively. She refused to call the Manager when we requested to speak with him. We eventually spoke to a junior manager called Kankorn and a colleague of his.

We told them that we had a dreadful experience with rude, incompetent staff and that we were going to share our experience on TA. We told him we thought it was fair to tell them and their perspective before reviewing the place on TA. They listened, said thank you, they understand and made a lame attempt of pacifying us. It was all very cold and clinical.

The rude woman at reception hypocritically put her hands together to greet us as we walked off. The only good experience we had was the delicious breakfast inspired by a Michelin star chef.

We ended up spending New Year's Eve at Banyan tree Hotel in Bangkok. Now that is a five star hotel that is worth every
Star :-)

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear Blissful_Voyager

Thank you for choosing at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and taking your time to share your review on TripAdvisor.

I was very concerned to read your feedback on the shortcomings you experienced during your stay with us and I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to you. Whilst I can assure you that your experiences in this instance would have been as a result of thoughtlessness rather than intent, please be assured, the issues raised have been addressed with our team and appropriate action has been taken to ensure that none of our valued guests will have a similar experience in the future. I am grateful for your feedback as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve the service we are offering. We do pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at ChooLeng.Goh@lemeridien.com should you wish to discuss your experience with us further. Thank you very much again for your valued comments and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

This was my first visit to Thailand, with a four day sales conference in Bangkok.

Was met at the airport by the hotel chauffer and limo, which got the trip off to a fabulous start.

The hotel was as I had expected - a fantastic hotel with exceptional service, food and attention to detail. The staff really couldn't do enough to help.

Another great hotel in the Starwood Group.

As for Bangkok itself - good to say I have been there, but not a place I would rush to return to.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Dear Andy S

I am very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us on your first trip to Thailand.
I would like to thank you for letting me know how impressed you were with the service you received and all other aspects of your stay in our hotel. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated and will certainly be shared with the team to recognize their efforts. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to write, we are grateful for your support and look forward to welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the future.