“Excellent hotel, bad commercial policy”

The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #16 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Rooms, service, bed, food, location: everything is good in this hotel, the club lounge is excellent.
The problem for me was that 2 days before leaving from Italy to Bkk I received an email from the commercial dpt of the hotel asking for details on my flight and arrival time, that I promptly sent. Few hours later I receveid another email with the extracharge for an early check in (almost all flights from Europe arrive in Bkk early in the morning). I was very surprised: after more than 20 trips to Bkk and stays in different hotels, I was never required to pay an extracharge for an early check in... Not only, but in the same hours I received from a qualified Asian web site an offer for the same hotel at a rate more than 30% cheaper than the official lowest rate of the hotel and of the rate I had (unfortunately) prepaid. The full amount of such (cheaper) rate per day was lower than the extracharge the hotel has proposed to me for some hours of early check in! Never more prepaid rates with this hotel! In Bangkok usually it's not a problem to find an hotel also few hours before the arrival and if a commercial policy lake this is applied, I think to change hotel is mandatory!

Room Tip: club rooms with the use of the club lounge are more expensive but very good, with a level of service...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank salgiam
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear salgiam,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

I am glad to know that overall you found our hotel to be of standard and our club lounge to be excellent. However please be advised that your feedback of our early check-in policy is of my great concerns, I will look into this matter with my team and find a suitable solution. Please take note that we do guarantee the best available rate of the day and I hope you could contact us with more information of the qualified Asian website.

I sincerely hope that you would not judge us solely on this experience and consider staying with us at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Gilles Evrard
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,567)

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Finely connected to different routes the hotel is safely accessible to and from.If the demonstration is on wireless road-you can come and go from behind or side whatever need maybe which was very useful if I was staying in Siam Square area or Rajdamri road.The hotel is very well managd great pool,great food and great ball room facilities(I attended a wedding there),fantastic business facilities and great lobby bar.

Room Tip: You can book a front side room overlooking beautiful gardens of US Embassy residentiaL
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Anthony577,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Our hotel is indeed located in a strategic area with multiple accesses from several roads, such as Wireless Road, Ruamwadee Road and Sukhumvit Road, which provides our guests easy access to the hotel. I am glad that you found our hotel to be well-managed providing great facilities for business and wedding functions. It brings me great delight to also know that our food selection was to your liking.

Thank you once again for your kind remarks, we hope to have the pleasure of your company at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Gilles Evrard
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is probably my eighth or ninth stay over the years at the Plaza Athenee in Bangkok, Thailand. Things that I really like about Starwood property are its great customer service, including the staff (particularly Khun Nat) of the Royal Club Lounge. Its location close to the BTS Ploenchit Station, wonderful breakfast buffet, the spaciousness of the rooms, and great spa and pool facilities make for a winning combination.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank NICHOLAS K
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Dear NICHOLAS K,

Thank you for taking your time to share your kind feedback on TripAdvisor and for staying with us at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you found the service provided by our associates to be outstanding and that you thoroughly enjoyed our signature Le Méridien breakfast We do indeed enjoy a central location, near Bangkok’s popular shopping mall such like Siam Paragon, Central World, Platinum Mall to name a few.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Although there are many good business hotels in Bangkok, this is my favorite hotel for my business trips to Bangkok. The service is good and it is worthwhile to upgrade to the club floor/rooms where the service is excellent. The hotel is walking distance to the MRT and several embassies and office buildings.

Room Tip: You should try to upgrade to club room and floor. It is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Kerkwijk1972,

It is certainly brightens my day to know that we are your favorite hotel for your business trips to Bangkok. I am also delighted that you chose to experience our Royal Club which does offer some exceptional benefits such as afternoon tea, evening cocktails, which includes an open bar with a selection of drinks and hors d'oeuves to name a few. We are indeed centrally located in the heart of Bangkok and I am glad that you find it convenient.

Thank you once again for your kind remarks, we hope to welcome you back soon to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We spent three nights in late Nov 13 and I must say I wished it was longer. We stayed in a Royal Club Room which was perfect for our needs and the Club Lounge access was fantastic. Even by Thai standards the service and attention in the Club Lounge was sensational. Extra special mention must go to Ep who was so friendly and charming and made our stay there really special. Also Nat and Marisa who were great. The location is very close to Ploenchit Station which gives access within a few stops to all the major shopping malls, there is a cut through the adjacent office which gives escalator access to the station if you have trouble with stairs. The hotel is situated about a ten minute walk from Lumpini Park so if you are a keen walker or jogger it is an ideal route to take. Can't say how much we enjoyed this hotel, take the Club Lounge option and relax in comfort after the buzz of Bangkok. Most highly recommended

Room Tip: Royal Club room was perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Robert A,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing such kind feedback on TripAdvisor.

It is certainly rewarding when valued guests such as yourselves appreciates the personalized service of several of our associates in the Royal Club, I will be sure to share your kind feedback with them to further reinforce all their efforts. We do indeed enjoy a central location, minutes’ walk from the Ploen chit BTS station as well as the Lumpini Park and several shopping centers, I am delighted that you found it convenient.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here again as this luxury hotel has all that one could want. Great restaurants, convenient location, professional and friendly staff, as well as comfort and class at every turn. We enjoy the Royal Club lounge benefits and use it as a base for mid-day and pre-dinner drinks and snacks. The breakfast buffet is top notch with the customary great service we've come to expect and enjoy. Smooth Curry stands heads above all other "Thai original" restaurants either in a hotel or elsewhere in BKK. Concierge service is exceptional and I would hightly recommend this hotel to anyone for any visit to the City of Angels. Perfection is hard to come by but Plaza Athenee approaches that standard.

Room Tip: Royal Club lounge is a great addition but all rooms are more than adequate.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Critical1

Dear Critical1,

Thank you for staying with us at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing such kind feedback on TripAdvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support, we are privileged to have a loyal guests such as yourselves. Our Royal Club does indeed offer some fantastic benefits and I am delighted that you appreciate them. I will also be sure to share your kind feedback with Chef Jasvir and her team in our award-winning Smooth Curry Royal Thai restaurant. I am also glad that our Concierge team was able to assist you during your stay.

Thank you once again for your kind review, we hope to welcome you back soon for another memorable stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

As hotels go Athenee was really perfect.

Location is right in the middle of everything so it wasnt far too go to temples or shopping or restaurants or anything. and public transport links from here are good so didnt need to get stuck in traffic much.

The service staff at front office were really professional but at the same time personal touch and nice. Also met one housekeeper who was VERY nice and sweet.

The room was absolutely amazing with a really good view. The bathroom and bedroom were both done with expensive high quality everything. and every amenity was there. Spot on.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Moonwalker78,

Being described as a perfect hotel certainly is one of the greatest compliments we can receive from a valued guest such as yourself. I am glad that you appreciate our central location only minutes from the BTS as well as several major shopping malls and attractions. Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our associates, I will be sure to share them with the team.

Thank you once again for your kind review, we hope to have the pleasure of your company at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.