“The perfect place to stay in Bangkok”

Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel
Ranked #42 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Paris, France
“The perfect place to stay in Bangkok”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel his full of advantages.
High class .very reasonable rates .staff professional.food :quality and choice.rooms are clean with a good quality of bed.
Situation :near sukhumvit but quite and close BTS station. We give 5 stars!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear Hhad55,

Many thanks for posting this positive review for Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien. We are very pleased to learn that our hotel facilities, services and location have met your expectation and your 5 star rating for our hotel are truly appreciated. We hope there will be soon an opportunity to welcoming you back again.

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you a very happy New Year.

Kind regards

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

As in my earlier review of 2 years ago--in my traveling experiences it is the people as much or more so that determines the level of rating and pleasure a hotel or other establishment gives. I found the good morning Mr. Nelson, at 2 am after my flight had arrived another sign that things had not changed very much over the years. I was not on business this time, so specifically came to Bangkok for pleasure, having a number of hotels to choose from, I still came back to the Athenee. I know they have your name in the computer, but it just seem more genuine and the staff truly attempts to take their known professionalism and welcome to that extra level.

Yes, the rooms may be dated (?? I didn't notice as they are large, comfortable, very clean and well supplied with extra's) but I did notice that major renovations are scheduled for 2014. The facility itself was very nicely in tune to the season.

I have tried to tell my co-workers what a great hotel experience this is, and it is close to our Thailand base of operations, but like many of us they are caught up in the "points" system and have to stay at the other places. I have a suggestion-- join the SPG program as i have found it to be very good reward system. It is located outside of the "hot" spots-- but close to shopping and nice experiences around the area.

My first night, I too experienced a little "less service" at the club room, the staff seemed more intent on talking with themselves then servicing the customers-- but that was just one night and we all have off nights. The rest of the week that great pineapple service came back with a smile.

The dining area is nicely decked out in the Christmas Holiday spirit; and the same universal great breakfast is there.

I did not experience some of the late/early check in problems that others experienced-- lucky i just guess because they allowed us a very late checkout because we had an evening flight. I checked in real early also-- but figured that I would just pay for the night as did not expect a room at 2 am.

I would say the only down size-- and i would assume it is the same at all the big hotels-- is the Spa packages. They really are out of many price ranges, comparable to same Spa Package prices in DC. However, the people there were pleasant, and it looked nice; it would be great if the prices were better than even with the 15% discount. However, there are many massage and spa type options within 5-10 min walk of the hotel (try the Touch great local place) and the staff more than happy to help you find your away around the area.

We had the privilege of coming on the Kings Birthday; what a nice treat as we were invited by the Manager to share in the songs, and candle lighting ceremony that evening. A nice turnout and the type of event that is special and makes the guests feel even more part of the hotel and the country. Lots of pictures were taken, would love to have some of them.

Finally got chance to hang out at the pool-- the water is cool but very refreshing. Your first day you are greeted with some chilled fruit and cool towel-- and a warm smile-- another nice touch.

I hope the Athenee continues their great service and touches that so many here have written about. It would be shame if things changed as management changed, economy changed or renovations occurred. Several of the service people were very friendly, enjoyed talking with us and sharing their lives and practicing their English. I really enjoy that part of the traveling experience and would encourage more guests to reach out-- and more service people to engage English speakers for learning on both sides.

So, see you on my next trip..............

Room Tip: Get the breakfast and club room package-- save money in the long run and have a much better experien...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Thor54,

Thank you for your continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing a detailed feedback on TripAdvisor.

It brightens my day to have read your review as it brings inspiration to me and all the associates in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel to know that the excellent service we strive to deliver on a daily basis is being appreciated from valued guests such like yourself.

We are indeed planning soft refurbishments of our guestrooms early next year to ensure that all valued guests continue to enjoy the highest standard of amenities as well as services. Thank you for recommending our hotel to your co-workers. The SPG program does reward guests with points whenever they stay or dine in any Starwood hotels. In addition, the points accumulated have many benefits such like exchange for stays in hotels.

I am also delighted to know that you were one of the many guests who celebrated the event we held to commemorate the King’s Birthday. We will definitely be delighted to share the pictures with you. Please contact us at our email: bc.bangkok at lemeridien.com. Thank you for your providing your feedback on your experience at our Le Royal Club Lounge as well as the pricing of our spa. Please be assured that it will be shared and review by the teams.

We would most definitely continue the tradition of providing professional, friendly and only the highest standard of service. Our associates truly enjoy communicating with guests as it allows them to improve their communication skills as well as garner travelling experience.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback, we hope to have the pleasure of sharing life experience with you at

Sentosa Island, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

This is a very good spa. Very good spa. The ambience of the spa was excellent.
The two therapists who took care of us, Ms Maew and Ms May were both very good and attentive.
Service overall was excellent.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Foodie234050,

Thank you for visiting Spa Athénée at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you found the service and ambience provided by associates of Spa Athénée to be of excellence. I will pass-on your kind feedback of Ms Maew and Ms May to them.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we hope to have the pleasure of providing you another excellence service with us at the Spa Athénée in the near future.

Riga, Latvia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Generally good hotel. No major complaints, but also missing that something @special@. However tired and in need for renovation. The phone in my room was most probably most ancient one I have seen in years.Good breakfast and efficient reception staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Kasparainens,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you found our hotel to be generally good. For your information, we are planning a soft refurbishment for our hotel early next year.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we hope that you would consider staying with us at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,231 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

As a frequent traveler to Bangkok for several years, we have always stayed at the Plaza Athenee. I have given raving reviews except the last one where we experienced poor service in their Executive level. But in May of this year I booked for December at the Plaza despite my Gold Status with Marriott right up the road closer to the sky train and offering deep discounts like all hotels this December (tourism is down). In the past, when we checked in early morning due to flights we had no issue getting rooms or getting an extension for a Gold Starwood an hour extra. This year, with business down clearly, it’s clear that they have been told to maximize revenues. Gone is their courtesy early check in (despite low occupancy). I received emails about extra room charges arriving early or even staying an hour later. We have 2 rooms as my kids are travelling and other Marriott/Starwood/Hilton properties have all accommodated our request, allowing us to use one room for late check-out or guaranteed early check-in. Be careful if you are coming, make sure you check with them or other hotels first so you are not subjected to this "nickel and diming" which is surprising especially for frequent stay members. At long last, I will probably shift next time to another hotel that values my business. It’s a shame as the Athenee has been a great place to stay before. I see other guests have noticed this change also and noted "bad commercial policy".

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EliteTravellers
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear Guyana1234,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor and continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us despite having a Gold membership with JW Marriott. I am truly concern that we your expectations was not met during your recent stay with us. For your information, our regular check in time is 2 p.m and check out time is noon as applied in our Starwood properties and display at our reception.
This early arrival or late checkout fee is to guarantee the room and used by many of our guests to secure their room availability. Complimentary Early check in or Late checkout will always be subject to space and availability upon arrival and if we are running high occupancy, room may not be available at 8 am.

I believe we always do our utmost to accommodate guest upon they arrival as we have done for your room in the past. We offer this extra guarantee option if the guest wishes to select it and when we noticed an early arrival in the hotel. I sincerely hope that you would consider staying with us again at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel during your next visit to Bangkok.

Monza, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Rooms, service, bed, food, location: everything is good in this hotel, the club lounge is excellent.
The problem for me was that 2 days before leaving from Italy to Bkk I received an email from the commercial dpt of the hotel asking for details on my flight and arrival time, that I promptly sent. Few hours later I receveid another email with the extracharge for an early check in (almost all flights from Europe arrive in Bkk early in the morning). I was very surprised: after more than 20 trips to Bkk and stays in different hotels, I was never required to pay an extracharge for an early check in... Not only, but in the same hours I received from a qualified Asian web site an offer for the same hotel at a rate more than 30% cheaper than the official lowest rate of the hotel and of the rate I had (unfortunately) prepaid. The full amount of such (cheaper) rate per day was lower than the extracharge the hotel has proposed to me for some hours of early check in! Never more prepaid rates with this hotel! In Bangkok usually it's not a problem to find an hotel also few hours before the arrival and if a commercial policy lake this is applied, I think to change hotel is mandatory!

Room Tip: club rooms with the use of the club lounge are more expensive but very good, with a level of service...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank salgiam
Dear salgiam,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

I am glad to know that overall you found our hotel to be of standard and our club lounge to be excellent. However please be advised that your feedback of our early check-in policy is of my great concerns, I will look into this matter with my team and find a suitable solution. Please take note that we do guarantee the best available rate of the day and I hope you could contact us with more information of the qualified Asian website.

I sincerely hope that you would not judge us solely on this experience and consider staying with us at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Finely connected to different routes the hotel is safely accessible to and from.If the demonstration is on wireless road-you can come and go from behind or side whatever need maybe which was very useful if I was staying in Siam Square area or Rajdamri road.The hotel is very well managd great pool,great food and great ball room facilities(I attended a wedding there),fantastic business facilities and great lobby bar.

Room Tip: You can book a front side room overlooking beautiful gardens of US Embassy residentiaL
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Anthony577,

Our hotel is indeed located in a strategic area with multiple accesses from several roads, such as Wireless Road, Ruamwadee Road and Sukhumvit Road, which provides our guests easy access to the hotel. I am glad that you found our hotel to be well-managed providing great facilities for business and wedding functions. It brings me great delight to also know that our food selection was to your liking.

Thank you once again for your kind remarks, we hope to have the pleasure of your company at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.