“Great hospitality ”

Ranked #16 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore
“Great hospitality ”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We spent out Christmas at this hotel and experienced hospitality unsurpassed. From the time we made the booking they were in touch with us. At arrival our luggage was received and the staff was chatting and making us feel at home. Check in was smooth and we immediately went to enjoy the Happy Hour reception at the lounge and we were there the next day too.

We then moved to the room which had a superb view if the city. The king sized bed was absolutely comfortable with matching down pillows. We had the room turned down and there were bedroom slippers with a placemat ready at either side of the bed with the night drapes drawn with a fruit platter and chocolates laid out with welcome notes from the GM and the Room Manager.

Yes it's what you expect at a high class hotel but at the same time as we describe it we want to say that it was not in vain or taken for granted but it was hospitality at its finest!

To top off the occasion as it was Christmas, the lobby had a gigantic lighted tree with carolers singing carols and Christmas decor was all over the Rainforest restaurant. We had fabulous breakfasts and lunch which was served an international spread covering local, Chinese, Indian and western cuisines.

By the way we also went to the gym which was well equipped and all the machines were working and well maintained, we also experienced a couples' massage package which completed out stay.

We were really overwhelmed by the staff and our stay was fabulous, do give this hotel a try the next time you are in Bangkok where you'll experience great hospitality!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Birdog,

Thank you for staying at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for your wonderful and inspiring review.

It brings me a great delight of learning that the excellent service we strive to deliver to our guests is being appreciated by our valued guest such like yourself and your Christmas retreat at our hotel was enjoyable.

Thank you for highlighting our breakfast in your review and our buffet breakfast indeed provides a variety of selections catering to our multinational guests. We always believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and a good breakfast provides a good start of the day for our guests.

I am glad that you have the chance to experience our Spa Athénée treatment. If you have yet experienced our Blood Type Massage, I would like to recommend you this massage on your next visit. This is our signature massage using a holistic approach to strengthen the body immune system that matches the individual blood type by providing nutrients specifically suit for each blood type and yet it provides a pure relaxation to reenergize mind and body. Each element of the treatment, including oil, aromas and massage technique are designed to suit with the personality and associated with the antigen of specific blood type.

Your review has indeed inspired myself and my team, once again we thank you for taking your time to write this review and gave us such wonderful remarks.

Last but not least we would like to wish you and your family a very happy New Year of 2014 and we hope that we will have another opportunity to welcoming you back in 2014.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed here 4 nights for a conference. Found the hotel very average. The room sizes were ok. There was some dirt in some corners. I was initially put in the smoking floors but the front office changed my room quickly and efficiently when requested. Have stayed in other Bangkok hotels and found this average compared to the others.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Kiddysing,

Thank you for staying at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel. We hope that you enjoyed the conference and the services we provided for the event met your expectation.

We value your feedbacks for our room atmosphere. We would like to inform you that we are planning a soft refurbishment for our guestrooms next year to ensure that all valued guests continue to enjoy the highest standard of amenities and facilities.

Our hotel is located on Wireless road in a quieter and greener area of central Bangkok and near the Lumpini park. The closest Shopping Centre is Central Chitlom located 10 minutes walk from the hotel. The main shopping areas, such as Central World, Siam and Terminal 21, can be accessed through BTS Skytrain at the Ploenchit station located just a 5-minute walk from the hotel. BTS Skytrain provides the best transfer solutions in the city and it takes only 5 minutes to reach the main shopping areas from this station.

We thank you once again for your stay and we hope that there will be another opportunity to welcoming you back again to Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel. Wishing you a happy New Year.

Paris, France
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel his full of advantages.
High class .very reasonable rates .staff professional.food :quality and choice.rooms are clean with a good quality of bed.
Situation :near sukhumvit but quite and close BTS station. We give 5 stars!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear Hhad55,

Many thanks for posting this positive review for Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien. We are very pleased to learn that our hotel facilities, services and location have met your expectation and your 5 star rating for our hotel are truly appreciated. We hope there will be soon an opportunity to welcoming you back again.

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you a very happy New Year.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 22 December 2013

As in my earlier review of 2 years ago--in my traveling experiences it is the people as much or more so that determines the level of rating and pleasure a hotel or other establishment gives. I found the good morning Mr. Nelson, at 2 am after my flight had arrived another sign that things had not changed very much over the years. I was not on business this time, so specifically came to Bangkok for pleasure, having a number of hotels to choose from, I still came back to the Athenee. I know they have your name in the computer, but it just seem more genuine and the staff truly attempts to take their known professionalism and welcome to that extra level.

Yes, the rooms may be dated (?? I didn't notice as they are large, comfortable, very clean and well supplied with extra's) but I did notice that major renovations are scheduled for 2014. The facility itself was very nicely in tune to the season.

I have tried to tell my co-workers what a great hotel experience this is, and it is close to our Thailand base of operations, but like many of us they are caught up in the "points" system and have to stay at the other places. I have a suggestion-- join the SPG program as i have found it to be very good reward system. It is located outside of the "hot" spots-- but close to shopping and nice experiences around the area.

My first night, I too experienced a little "less service" at the club room, the staff seemed more intent on talking with themselves then servicing the customers-- but that was just one night and we all have off nights. The rest of the week that great pineapple service came back with a smile.

The dining area is nicely decked out in the Christmas Holiday spirit; and the same universal great breakfast is there.

I did not experience some of the late/early check in problems that others experienced-- lucky i just guess because they allowed us a very late checkout because we had an evening flight. I checked in real early also-- but figured that I would just pay for the night as did not expect a room at 2 am.

I would say the only down size-- and i would assume it is the same at all the big hotels-- is the Spa packages. They really are out of many price ranges, comparable to same Spa Package prices in DC. However, the people there were pleasant, and it looked nice; it would be great if the prices were better than even with the 15% discount. However, there are many massage and spa type options within 5-10 min walk of the hotel (try the Touch great local place) and the staff more than happy to help you find your away around the area.

We had the privilege of coming on the Kings Birthday; what a nice treat as we were invited by the Manager to share in the songs, and candle lighting ceremony that evening. A nice turnout and the type of event that is special and makes the guests feel even more part of the hotel and the country. Lots of pictures were taken, would love to have some of them.

Finally got chance to hang out at the pool-- the water is cool but very refreshing. Your first day you are greeted with some chilled fruit and cool towel-- and a warm smile-- another nice touch.

I hope the Athenee continues their great service and touches that so many here have written about. It would be shame if things changed as management changed, economy changed or renovations occurred. Several of the service people were very friendly, enjoyed talking with us and sharing their lives and practicing their English. I really enjoy that part of the traveling experience and would encourage more guests to reach out-- and more service people to engage English speakers for learning on both sides.

So, see you on my next trip..............

Room Tip: Get the breakfast and club room package-- save money in the long run and have a much better experien...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Thor54,

Thank you for your continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing a detailed feedback on TripAdvisor.

It brightens my day to have read your review as it brings inspiration to me and all the associates in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel to know that the excellent service we strive to deliver on a daily basis is being appreciated from valued guests such like yourself.

We are indeed planning soft refurbishments of our guestrooms early next year to ensure that all valued guests continue to enjoy the highest standard of amenities as well as services. Thank you for recommending our hotel to your co-workers. The SPG program does reward guests with points whenever they stay or dine in any Starwood hotels. In addition, the points accumulated have many benefits such like exchange for stays in hotels.

I am also delighted to know that you were one of the many guests who celebrated the event we held to commemorate the King’s Birthday. We will definitely be delighted to share the pictures with you. Please contact us at our email: bc.bangkok at lemeridien.com. Thank you for your providing your feedback on your experience at our Le Royal Club Lounge as well as the pricing of our spa. Please be assured that it will be shared and review by the teams.

We would most definitely continue the tradition of providing professional, friendly and only the highest standard of service. Our associates truly enjoy communicating with guests as it allows them to improve their communication skills as well as garner travelling experience.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback, we hope to have the pleasure of sharing life experience with you at

Sentosa Island, Singapore
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This is a very good spa. Very good spa. The ambience of the spa was excellent.
The two therapists who took care of us, Ms Maew and Ms May were both very good and attentive.
Service overall was excellent.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Foodie234050,

Thank you for visiting Spa Athénée at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you found the service and ambience provided by associates of Spa Athénée to be of excellence. I will pass-on your kind feedback of Ms Maew and Ms May to them.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we hope to have the pleasure of providing you another excellence service with us at the Spa Athénée in the near future.

Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Generally good hotel. No major complaints, but also missing that something @special@. However tired and in need for renovation. The phone in my room was most probably most ancient one I have seen in years.Good breakfast and efficient reception staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Kasparainens,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you found our hotel to be generally good. For your information, we are planning a soft refurbishment for our hotel early next year.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we hope that you would consider staying with us at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,701 helpful votes
Reviewed 16 December 2013

As a frequent traveler to Bangkok for several years, we have always stayed at the Plaza Athenee. I have given raving reviews except the last one where we experienced poor service in their Executive level. But in May of this year I booked for December at the Plaza despite my Gold Status with Marriott right up the road closer to the sky train and offering deep discounts like all hotels this December (tourism is down). In the past, when we checked in early morning due to flights we had no issue getting rooms or getting an extension for a Gold Starwood an hour extra. This year, with business down clearly, it’s clear that they have been told to maximize revenues. Gone is their courtesy early check in (despite low occupancy). I received emails about extra room charges arriving early or even staying an hour later. We have 2 rooms as my kids are travelling and other Marriott/Starwood/Hilton properties have all accommodated our request, allowing us to use one room for late check-out or guaranteed early check-in. Be careful if you are coming, make sure you check with them or other hotels first so you are not subjected to this "nickel and diming" which is surprising especially for frequent stay members. At long last, I will probably shift next time to another hotel that values my business. It’s a shame as the Athenee has been a great place to stay before. I see other guests have noticed this change also and noted "bad commercial policy".

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EliteTravellers
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear Guyana1234,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor and continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us despite having a Gold membership with JW Marriott. I am truly concern that we your expectations was not met during your recent stay with us. For your information, our regular check in time is 2 p.m and check out time is noon as applied in our Starwood properties and display at our reception.
This early arrival or late checkout fee is to guarantee the room and used by many of our guests to secure their room availability. Complimentary Early check in or Late checkout will always be subject to space and availability upon arrival and if we are running high occupancy, room may not be available at 8 am.

I believe we always do our utmost to accommodate guest upon they arrival as we have done for your room in the past. We offer this extra guarantee option if the guest wishes to select it and when we noticed an early arrival in the hotel. I sincerely hope that you would consider staying with us again at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel during your next visit to Bangkok.